1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Dropped out of google.com today after 4 years

Just noticed one of my sites www. glow-sticks .org dropped right out of google .com today for main kw glow sticks.

Everything is still fine on the .co.uk version which is more important, but I'm worried this spells bad times ahead and maybe I have done something wrong and soon it will also filter through to the google .co.uk !

When I say its dropped out of google .com it still comes up if I type in say "glow sticks org" and also the internal pages are still showing up for other kw's, but "glow sticks" is by far the main kw.

The only thing I can think what caused this is last month around the 10th of Jan I moved my site from one host to another, both UK hosting companies and a couple of days ago I installed the comodo trust seal on the site, but surely that can do no harm.

Anyone see any obvious reasons or seen similar things lately?

Thanks
  3. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Londoner, you may have to modernise your web sites a bit.

PS: I doubt it's a dup content issue - in case anyone thinks it's that...
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by dzine
    Londoner, you may have to modernise your web sites a bit.

PS: I doubt it's a dup content issue - in case anyone thinks it's that...
    How do you mean? Keep adding fresh content or a totally new design? (latter sounds a bit drastic)
  7. Wearing Many Hats
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

It took a really long time to load all of your page elements. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Could the new server be slower?

Some of the center elements overlap the right column.

Your title tag is pretty long. Are all caps necessary? Not sure if this is helping, or considered over-optimization.

Could be a lot of things, or maybe just a simple algo change that will pop you back up again in a few days.
  9. Design for your VISITORS
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Londoner
    How do you mean? Keep adding fresh content or a totally new design? (latter sounds a bit drastic)
    Before you do anything I'd wait at least a few days on any MAJOR changes. I've had a number of sites disappear for a few days only to come back a few later. I've also regretted making too many changes during this "downtime" when I was just paranoid and could have spent my time elsewhere...

Comments on this post

• dzine agrees : Yeah don't rush it
    Fair Enough.
  11. SEO Insultant

Personally I wouldn't do a complete redesign (even though white on black is said to be less effective than plain black on white these days).

But I would tweak some stuff that could possibly be considered a little "spam trigger" nowadays. For example the ALLCAPS title and description, and the huge list of keywords...
  13. rod@missionop.com

Just noticed one of my sites www. glow-sticks .org dropped right out of google .com today for main kw glow sticks.
    Let's get the obvious questions out of the way...

1. How many websites do you have?

2. How many are related to glowsticks?

3. How many of these link together?

4. How did you develop the content for each website?

Don't forget - be honest - because we can't help if you don't tell us "precisely what is, is".
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by fathom
    Let's get the obvious questions out of the way...

1. How many websites do you have?

2. How many are related to glowsticks?

3. How many of these link together?

4. How did you develop the content for each website?

Don't forget - be honest - because we can't help if you don't tell us "precisely what is, is".
    Honesty is the best policy eh.

1) I have 4 sites in total, 3 of them run off the same database, 2 of these 3 sites I give no time to at all right now, I had planned new designs for them and unique product descriptions to the main sites prod descriptions.
    They include the main one glow-sticks .org then glowsticks .net and theglowhouse .co.uk
    My other site is happyglowlucky .co.uk but that was done more recently and runs totally separate.

2)They are all related to glow sticks.

3)I hadn't been linking any of them together at all until this month. I linked from gs.org to gs.net (one way) from the footer using kw "glow sticks". I did this only because I was planning a new design for gs.net next month and wanted to give it a boost in time for the new design. gs.net seemed to be ranking quite well with hardly any links which I found quite interesting so adding a link from my main site was more of a test to see how much the rank in google would improve.

I've got no other links anywhere between the sites, I even have a small links page on gs.org and I don't even link to my other sites from there either.

4)The content is developed from one central db, only because we are selling same products across different sites. This is ideal with stock count figures and working out profit margins using the central admin.

If this is some kind of duplicate content problem, then I'm prepared to either 301 my other sites to my main site, otherwise I guess I'll have to make all the prod descriptions unique.

As for the capitals in the title, I think i'll put that to lower case now, can't do any harm.

Any suggestions on the above would be great to hear.

btw it seems strange how all the internal pages are still listed as they were and main page is listed fine on google.co.uk, regardless I want to do start doing things right!

Thanks
  17. rod@missionop.com

I'm prepared to either 301 my other sites to my main site,
    That's the correct answer.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

That's the correct answer.
    ok, I have asked the hosting/domain company to setup a domain pointer from my two 'less worked on' sites to my main site. Is this as good as doing a 301 in .htaccess ?

Second problem I have, my old urls used to read:
    www. blah .org /subcat/categoryname/productname.html
    This was setup using mod rewrite instead of long php urls.

Problem I have now is in google there are lots of internal pages that rank fairly well for my site, but one of my long term plans for the site was to get rid of /subcat/ and just have: www. blah .org /categoryname/productname.html

I have been the mod rewrite forums and have had a little help setting up new code to 301 from the old style to the new style urls, at the moment this isn't working for whatever reason so I have simple sent all the old style urls to the homepage using a 301, as a temporary measure at least. (This is how the site is as of tonight - url in footer!)

If I weren't to do this, I'd have the old style urls loading up my site ok, but only showing header.php leftmenu.php and rightmenu.php without any middle content!

So am I doing the right thing here?

Third problem, which I only just realised about 10 mins ago...I have got some products repeated in different categories for more exposure. This works well from a selling point of view, but I'm worried that now google will see the same content twice (so duplicate content) on two urls within the same web site. Is this a problem? I know duplicate content is a no no across different domains, but wasn't sure about across the same domain.

Assuming yes to that question, I was thinking I could just have the categories showing www. blahblah .org /catname/
    and the products within the cats changed to www. blahblah .org /productname.html
    I'm fairly sure this could be done using mod rewrite.

Any thoughts on this.

Thanks
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by dzine
    Personally I wouldn't do a complete redesign (even though white on black is said to be less effective than plain black on white these days).

But I would tweak some stuff that could possibly be considered a little "spam trigger" nowadays. For example the ALLCAPS title and description, and the huge list of keywords...
    I don't think all caps title or description, would do that, must be something else. Anyway I wouldn't panic just yet, you probably will be back on google within a few couple days.
  23. rod@missionop.com

Problem I have now is in google there are lots of internal pages that rank fairly well for my site, but one of my long term plans for the site was to get rid of /subcat/ and just have: www. blah .org /categoryname/productname.html
    Replace old .htaccess code with:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^.*$
    RewriteRule ^/?(.*)$ http://www.domain-pointed-to.com/category/page-if-anything-specific.html$1 [R=301,L]

Any request for the previous domain will be redirected.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Replace old .htaccess code with:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^.*$
    RewriteRule ^/?(.*)$ http://www.domain-pointed-to.com/category/page-if-anything-specific.html$1 [R=301,L]

Any request for the previous domain will be redirected.
    Thanks Fathom, but understanding mod rewrite is more than a challenge for me right now, learning slowly!

I don't understand how that will work, so replace category with cat name? and replace 'page-if-anything-specifit.html$1' with? There is a better explanation of my problem at

http:// forum.modrewrite.com/viewtopic.php?t=4911
    Are urls allowed on this forum now? I've put a space just before the http!

As for the questions I asked about google and duplicate content, is this the case? Is it duplicate content if its on the same web site with different url? Only reason its like that is because as explained above, I haven't worked out how to modify the modrewrite to show them as the same url without the /cat/ name included in the address.

Thanks
  27. rod@missionop.com

Thanks Fathom, but understanding mod rewrite is more than a challenge for me right now, learning slowly!

I don't understand how that will work, so replace category with cat name? and replace 'page-if-anything-specifit.html$1' with? There is a better explanation of my problem at

http:// forum.modrewrite.com/viewtopic.php?t=4911
    Are urls allowed on this forum now? I've put a space just before the http!

As for the questions I asked about google and duplicate content, is this the case? Is it duplicate content if its on the same web site with different url? Only reason its like that is because as explained above, I haven't worked out how to modify the modrewrite to show them as the same url without the /cat/ name included in the address.

Thanks
    If you are redirecting everything to a different domain you don't need to continue with your old rewrite rules... the 301 redirect doesn't care where the pages were it only guides a request for some old url to the new location.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you are redirecting everything to a different domain you don't need to continue with your old rewrite rules... the 301 redirect doesn't care where the pages were it only guides a request for some old url to the new location.
    I think you have misunderstood me or i've misunderstood you. (I'm not the best at explaining things clearly, I admit!). I have spoken to my hosting company about the 301s from my less worked on sites to my main site and that should be taken care of in the next 24 hours or so. There was hardly any traffic on the internal pages of my lesser sites, so it seemed best to just do a 301 for the homepage to my main site.

I'm refering to just one web site now, the web site in my sig. Forget about the other 2 smaller sites. I have some products on my main site that are listed more than once in different categories. I do this because some items cross over and its easier for customers. Doing this creates more exposure for some products also... Anyway... some of these products that are listed twice with my main site are in different categories, therefore they have different urls, but the content is the same.
    e.g http://www.glow-sticks.org/Glow-Bracelets/100-Pack-of-8-Inch-Glow-Bracelets.html
    and
    http://www.glow-sticks.org/Special-Offer/100-Pack-of-8-Inch-Glow-Bracelets.html

Is this a problem with google? I don't want to cause any duplication problems.

If this was a problem, then I suggested about 2 posts ago about using mod rewrite to change the urls to not show the catname, so instead it would be: http://www.glow-sticks.org/100-Pack-of-8-Inch-Glow-Bracelets.html

This would solve the problem, but will take a bit of work I think! Is this essential though or can I just leave it as it is?

Hope thats clearer.

Thanks