Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

DOMAINS .com,.net,.org Is there really a difference?

Hi there,

I am on my personal quest to get my first website up and running. It is a slightly daunting task faced with obstacles at every turn. The one that I face now is choosing the domain.
    I have selected a few suitable names which reflect the style and content of my site, but I am faced with a small dilemma. In most cases the .com name is taken and to try and buy it would seem a costly matter. However in some cases the .net and .org are still available.
    Do you feel that there is a significant difference between the .com and theses others?
    I suppose that you should know that I want to start a website based on a soccer theme. Is a .org site suitable?
    Any advice is welcomed.
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Hi blues,

For SEO and ranking capabilities, there's no difference in their potential.

For soccer, .eu could also be a consideration or a country-specific (if your site will be based around a specific team).

Don't obsess about getting keywords into the domain name either; if you can come up with a good/innovative site branding may pay bigger dividends.
    Last edited by ClickyB; Jun 15th, 2008 at 09:47 AM.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  5. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by blues
    Is a .org site suitable?
    YES

The extension matters not... it's like having a "real name" and some stranger coming along and calling you "mr"... or "sir"... "hey asshole"... "watch where you're going you idiot".

They don't know your real name so any extension that gets your attention works!
  7. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fathom
    YES

The extension matters not... it's like having a "real name" and some stranger coming along and calling you "mr"... or "sir"... "hey asshole"... "watch where you're going you idiot".

They don't know your real name so any extension that gets your attention works!
    Nice post Fathom... gave me some inspiration...

Blues - Check for:
    www.back-of-the.net
    www.in-the.net
    www.bust-a.net
    www.bust-the.net
    (also without dashes)

They'd be awesome
    Last edited by ClickyB; Jun 15th, 2008 at 10:02 AM.
  9. No Profile Picture

i like the advice.
    thanks for the tips.
    so do you think that having dashes in the url will not create some confusion?
  11. No Profile Picture

Hi there,

I am on my personal quest to get my first website up and running. It is a slightly daunting task faced with obstacles at every turn. The one that I face now is choosing the domain.
    I have selected a few suitable names which reflect the style and content of my site, but I am faced with a small dilemma. In most cases the .com name is taken and to try and buy it would seem a costly matter. However in some cases the .net and .org are still available.
    Do you feel that there is a significant difference between the .com and theses others?
    I suppose that you should know that I want to start a website based on a soccer theme. Is a .org site suitable?
    Any advice is welcomed.
    As far as I know... "net"=network, "com"=company, "org" = organization. Or am I wrong? But thats not that important. Most ppl will say that .com is always the best, but .net is somehow more appealing to me, and by the way there are lots of very successful .net pages. I had the same problem when choosing my domain name, and I took .net
  13. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Smile

Hi there,

Any advice is welcomed.
    Why in most cases the .com TLD is taken? This is because most people assume the TLD of a website to be .com. People may remember the name of a website,but there is no guarantee that they will remember the TLD also.

'.org' has been created for non-profit organizations and i wonder how can you buy it. Go for a domain name which is short, descriptive, relevant to your business and easy to remember. If your domain name has good search volume, then it is even better.
  15. No Profile Picture

maybe people just get be used to .com
  17. Live and Learn!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

The .com is more internationally reconized... so people will generally put websiteurl.com rather then .co.uk when typing it in from memory.
  19. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by seomonkeymanocp
    The .com is more internationally reconized... so people will generally put websiteurl.com rather then .co.uk when typing it in from memory.
    ...and while millions attempt to type a domain in from memory... billions use bookmarks, shortcuts, re-search, a favorite directory, a past bill, a past receipts, a flyer, a brochure, a coupon, a newsletter, a business card... and if that wasn't enough "most" are just not as loyal as we would like them to be and are more app to jump ship based on viral marketing from a close friend or relative.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Itís a fact that most people who are searching on the web are going to give top priority to web sites with TLD names like .com or .net.

This is simply a matter of these being original suffixes, and the regular web surfer believes that they have more credibility and authority.
  23. Live and Learn!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by fathom
    ...and while millions attempt to type a domain in from memory... billions use bookmarks, shortcuts, re-search, a favorite directory, a past bill, a past receipts, a flyer, a brochure, a coupon, a newsletter, a business card... and if that wasn't enough "most" are just not as loyal as we would like them to be and are more app to jump ship based on viral marketing from a close friend or relative.
    of course, but you still have a % of that "millions" that will still try to type your domain right into the browser. Its also the same with hyphens IMO. people would tend to put a domain name without hyphens if typing it straight into the browser.

Comments on this post

• delhi.ankita agrees
  25. Roll the dice.. and live

Originally Posted by ghoshonline
    Itís a fact......
    No its an opinion.....
    Live the moment
  27. No Profile Picture

i would say that in my experience on the web, I feel public conception favours .com however in my quest to start this site I will probably settle for the .net.
    I also know that bookmarks are a huge part of searching but still I feel that a .org for a sport site sounds a bit strange.
    Again this must be my perception not necessarily fact.
  29. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by ghoshonline
    Itís a fact that most people who are searching on the web are going to give top priority to web sites with TLD names like .com or .net.

This is simply a matter of these being original suffixes, and the regular web surfer believes that they have more credibility and authority.
    Where'd you find that "fact"?

The fact is #1 position get's 40% of all clicks regardless of domain name or TLD extension.

68% of all clicks in search happen in the top #3 positions...

That fact that wikipedia.org pretty much has a lock on at least 1 of the top 3 positions for most competitive phrases... with that and the other two points suggests you are "guessing about your facts".

How are my FACTS?
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: