1. No Profile Picture
    DAG
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Is a domain that used to be parked penalized?

I had a domain that was parked for about a year and a half, and I recently unparked it and started developing it. Have been slowly adding backlinks and it is moving up very very gradually in the rankings.

The keyword I'm optimizing for is actually in the domain name i.e. "key word" so I own keyword.com, if that makes any kind of difference here.

It has sort of hit a wall, though, and this isn't a competitive keyword, nor does the first page competition have many backlinks at all.

Is the fact the domain used to be parked penalizing it or holding it back in any way?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

nope. no such filter/penalty exists far as I know...

your backlinks need 'better' authority/trust, I'd surmise....and then again, the word "recently" means the 'new' life of this site has just restarted it's climb...so there may be some of the "new website churn" that happens to us all at that stage of development.

get better backlinks....and wait....if you do your job well, your serps will climb!

:-)

Jim
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD
    Canadian SEO

Twitter: @JVRudnick

read. learn. hypothesize. test. analyze...then rank!

5. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

there is no bad effect on parked domain, search engine do not penalize but is it beneficial for you that your domain will get top ranking in little hard work if your site all the section will be relevant contents...
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by DAG
    I had a domain that was parked for about a year and a half, and I recently unparked it and started developing it. Have been slowly adding backlinks and it is moving up very very gradually in the rankings.

The keyword I'm optimizing for is actually in the domain name i.e. "key word" so I own keyword.com, if that makes any kind of difference here.

It has sort of hit a wall, though, and this isn't a competitive keyword, nor does the first page competition have many backlinks at all.

Is the fact the domain used to be parked penalizing it or holding it back in any way?
    Google learned that it was static content when it was parked and most likely reduced the frequency of its bot visits, cachings, and reindexings.

Once Google re-learns your site's pattern, things will happen faster...