1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Domain name changes

Hi Guys

OK hope this make sense.

I had a domain name 'peterhaken.com' i'm a photographer but my medium has changed from street photography, to landscape, to surfing, then wildlife and then onto wedding photography.

At first it moved up rankings for wedding photography cornwall from like page 20 to page 4, then dropped down to like page 6 and 7.

Ok then i had a change of thought, perhaps i had just confused search engines...so I put the peterhaken.com back to purely wildlife photography cornwall and already its back to page 1, still needs polishing but basics are there for now.

The wedding site content as been copied to a new domain name www.swankywed.com, both sites are now live, loads of 404 errors on peterhaken, when i search wedding key phrases peterhaken sites still comes up.

What am i best doing to fix links, or add perminant redirects or...rather confused what to do.

regards Pete
    Last edited by Hikin Mike; May 17th, 2019 at 01:27 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

My advice to you is this. Don't change domains and don't change venues. Just add content properly.

You are a photographer, you should just add service pages. Your menu is " Home Portfolio " Try this.... " 'Home' 'Photography Services' 'Portfolio' ". Add pages for each of your offered services to the "Photography Services" drop down menu.

Photography Services
    ---- Landscaping Photography
    ---- Street Photography
    ---- Surfing Photography
    ---- Wedding Photography
    ---- Wildlife Photography

Comments on this post

• DirectHits agrees
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you Ok will take this advice.Though I wonder if a bride looking for a wedding photographer, she or he would not want to see a jack of all trades...

But i can take your advice and improve the menu thats more SEF, as a wedding photographer you still have services that can be dropdowns rather than text links to other areas.

I have made some significant changes to swankywed website. What do you think is that better?

What about the broken links on peterhaken ? Should i remove or just let google do its own thing?

Thanks again

regards pete
    Last edited by CotswoldD; May 18th, 2019 at 06:46 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture

Ok... You have somewhat of a mess on your hands.

Troubleshooting 101:
    When things go south on a web site, meaning something went "wrong" when you made a change --- UNDO WHAT YOU DID ! Period !

1. Put everything back to the status quo. Before you made any changes and lost rankings.
    2. Fix all broken links. Either remove the broken links on the site and prepare a 410 page to inform Google they are gone or put the content back up. Personally I would put the content back up.
    3. Add service pages. One page at a time.

Originally Posted by CotswoldD
    Though I wonder if a bride looking for a wedding photographer, she or he would not want to see a jack of all trades
    Let me ask you a couple of questions concerning this statement.

You're a professional photographer right ? You specialize in stills right ?

What's the difference between capturing a bird in full flight with it's owl wings spread and a peacock in full plumage at the alter ?

With the owl you have to wait and wait and wait to capture that moment of grace. With people you can say, "Hey, hold that pose just a second", great got it. Now lets get one with the bride and all the bridesmaids.

Maybe we can get Hikin Mike to offer some advice here. He is a Photographer, it would nice to have his opinion.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; May 18th, 2019 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Grammar corrections
  9. Moderator
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

If you really think you need a separate site for wedding clients, you could also create it in a subdomain. Then potential clients wouldn't have the direct option of seeing other your other work, though they might be impressed by it..

I tend to agree that Know's suggestion is the best option all around, for SEO and ease of use. But I am one of the few SEOs that is ok with having two sites. It is a lot more work and when I am in situations to manage two related sites, they have always been inherited. I have never recommended them up front.
  11. No Profile Picture

OK sadly i dont keep backups of everything.

So would i be better off moving my content back to PeterHaken.com and make good and just optimise that site?

The SwankyWed.com domin name what to do with that, re-direct it to peterhaken?

Yep i have made a complete balls up here, I agree.

regards Pete
  13. No Profile Picture

So would i be better off moving my content back to PeterHaken.com and make good and just optimise that site?
    Yes, the most optimal situation, it also eliminates the 404 errors immediately. The Wayback Machine will come in handy here. It can help you in some instances recreating your pages. It is rather a handy tool, I use it very, very often as do a lot of others here.

The SwankyWed.com domin name what to do with that, re-direct it to peterhaken?
    Not knowing what you have done to promote that site, the safe bet is to park it for the moment. If you haven't done any questionable link building, then a 301 redirect would be ok. If you do the redirect, don't just send everything to the home page. Redirect each SwankyWed page to the most appropriate page on the peterhaken site.
  15. No Profile Picture

Ok I have put the wedding site back to peterhaken.com now. I have a re-direct pluin within software so can re-direct any broken links.

How best to remove urls that dont exisit anymore. I used to do this in webmaster tools, but can not find anymore and fuirther reading it says that it only lasted for 90 days then they cam back again. What is the best way to remove a url i dont need any more and it now gives a 404 error.

Cheers pete
  17. No Profile Picture

For example: This url has shown up in my redirects list as a 404 error. peterhaken.com/pet-portrait-photography-gloucestershire.html years ago i may have had a page called pet photography, but i have never had a url ending with .html url as all my sites are on Joomla CMS. This page is not on my site and its not in the sitemap.

Why or where could this be? and how best to remove from index?
  19. No Profile Picture

This method is quick, fast and effective. First create a page, goneforever-410.html, Make it look basically like your current 404 page, except make it return a 410 status code.

Add the following lines to your lightspeed .thaccess file

ErrorDocument 410 /goneforever-410.html

Now find the line of code in your htaccess file that looks like this
    RewriteEngine On

Then immediately add one line for each page / url that you want gone forever, make them look like what follows.

Redirect gone /pet-portrait-photography-gloucestershire.html

Now next time a search engine comes a long and scans for that page it will remove the page from the index within 24 hours. Also it will stop looking for it and the 404 errors disappear.

Edited to add:
    Quick and dirty 410 page creation

Visit your website, cause a 404 error and then view the source code of the page. Now copy all that source code then create a html doc with that source code and chop out what you don't need. Then set the page to return a 410 status. This whole process should all take maybe an hour if you're slow. Then as you run across pages, just add the redirects.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; May 20th, 2019 at 05:27 AM.
  21. No Profile Picture

Thanks guys I am just concentrating on the peterhaken.com for now. I have put this site back to just concentrating on Wedding Photography. Really struggling as to why i can not seem to climb. I know very early days, the site spiked quite high but moving down. Is it just going to take time as search engines rather confused.