1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Domain Extension

I know that local domains such as .co.uk etc weaken the international standing in results but strengthen local searches, however, my question is; what is the seo difference, if any, of .com .org, .net and .info?

Is any particular one better or are they counted the same?

Or does each one have different results, for example, .com gets better individual page rankings, but .org gets better rankings on the homepage?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Nobody has ever proven if they are the same or not and only the google people will know. They are usually all the same but you should always aim to get a .com because many people will forget almost half of the time that it is a .net. Some people do believe that mil, gov, and edu are better backlinks because they are always an authority site. Let me repeat that, ALWAYS an authority site.

Comments on this post

• incdeveloper agrees : Correct, for marketing purposes a .com is way much better than the others.
  5. No Profile Picture

I second !İfireworking. I do not believe any extension to be more favorable in Google. A prime example is if you Google "magazine subscriptions" and you will find a site with .ws extensions approx eighth. If they can reach eighth, they can reach first.

In terms of branding, I agree that .com is also the strongest extension you can have. My theory behind why you see .com's higher in the search engines is because companies with more experience choose .com for branding and they were first or you wouldn't have to choose .net, etc.

As for .edu and .gov, most of these websites have been around the longest and a lot of them have a higher PR.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I don't know about the value of the given domain extensions but what I do know is that .edu and .gov are exceptional to those...obviously, .edu and .gov holds a high value for a link...
  9. learn from lurking
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

thats right.. base on my observation thats just one of the factor... and promoting it really makes a difference..