1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

domain age Ahrevs research

Guys,

what you say about that new research from Ahrefs "How long does it take to rank in Google?".

Everybody know almost "legendary" statement from Matt Cutts saying
    "The difference between a 6 month old domain and a year old domain, is really not big at all".

I always been thinking that he just didn't express himself well that time and since that moment a lot of incorrect statements have appeared.
    Now there we have a study which is pretty nicely showing that domain age is a crucial SEO factor for ranking especially for first 3 positions.
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Your post is total crap, age isn't a factor in ranking. And if it is it's not enough to notice one way or the other.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

From your answer is only clear that original post is a crap, but not clear if the domain age is a ranking factor or not.

Would be interested from others to comment that interesting study.
  7. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Whois data is not generally available even you are registered and its data vary from country code. So that is not an important factor you should review this video from Matcutts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pnp...layer_embedded
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Feb 13th, 2017 at 06:22 AM.
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Domain age and location can be used to infer other things....

For instance, site is registered for 1 year, so this could mean the site is possibly not expected to survive long, versus say 5 year registration. The intent can be seen as a long term investment by the owner.

Also another thing is private domain registration is now being looked upon by Google at least, as a possible negative impact factor. If it's a business site, why hide the registrar info if you are trying to get your business name out there.

The location can also be an indicator of scam intentions, but not always. Certain parts of the planet are more often a center of scams than others...
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I often use shortly "domain age" but i always mean the domain age since your web is crawled.
    Another misunderstanding i apologize for is that the original post could be regarding to "age of a page" as a SEO factor (not domain age) this is what that Ahrevs study is about.

Anyway i think it is correlating, isn't?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

GordOn

Could you post the ahrev article... as you kindly put it.. sometimes the language barrier can hinder us in communicating our correct intention.

I speka gooda nglissh, so I noah ow it canna be summer times. ( meant as a joke folks )
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i expected you just put this "How long does it take to rank in Google" into google.

ahrefs com/blog/how-long-does-it-take-to-rank/
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Nice article btw... I recommend reading it, something there for everyone.

No it was not really talking about domain age. But the age of a particular page vs getting to page 1 of Google. I thinks this is a good explanation of why a site can rank for low hanging keywords and in a short time... makes me think of the thread by Dave on a Wix site, "flash site #3", doing so well. The keywords were very low search vol and competition.

19. Contributing User

Woof, calling the OP "crap" really? Do we want to shame people for trying to learn or discuss? Perhaps I am a bit biased because I do think domain age plays a role in how well you rank.

Not the way you may think, however. I've been doing client work for over three years and I have seen some really bad evergreen blog posts rank for some decent keywords. The kind of keywords that make you say, "wow, I can't believe they are ranking for that."

These posts all have one thing in common, they were published circa 2010- 2012. I think as long as their on-page metrics stay stable, this out dated content can really rank.

On the other hand, I don't think being old renders a site any extra authority. You may be producing socially shared content frequently which may result in Google coming back to your site more than they would a new site, but that might be your only advantage and even that has to be earned.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Mpond2
    Perhaps I am a bit biased because I do think domain age plays a role in how well you rank.
    I think you will find out that the language barrier can be quite the problem with less articular members... hence some mis-understanding..

that is why I ask the question I did the way I did.. to lighten up the attitude of the thread. From the original post, it was very easy to misunderstand GordOn.

Hence the mix up was cleared up.. the posted article brought to light the actual post that generated the question. Both the article and the post are talking about two different things.

1. Does domain age play a part in the Google ranking algo.. The answer is Yes it does.. how much, well that is what the big argument will be about.. some, little, much, or a lot. but suffice to say. If Matt Cutts says there's very little difference between a 6 month old site and a year old site, then "It's a very very little bit indeed" !
    (Personally on a scale of 1 to 10, domain age is probably a 0.5. But that is just my opinion! I do not work for Google, so how do I know.

2. The article was talking about age of a page and how soon it could be ranked to page 1. Had nothing to do with the domain age at all. But it did explain how a site could rise to page 1 easy enough targeting low hanging fruit.

Edited to add...
    I never consider the age of a domain when working on it except from the viewpoint of link building. Site is less than 6 month old and it has 100k back links, well that just might catch the spam team's eye at Google !!
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Feb 14th, 2017 at 06:26 PM.
  23. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

This page: CNN - 1996 Year in Review is 21 years old and it does not rank for its title element: 1996 year in review.

Age means N O T H I N G

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees : yes