1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Cool Doing an experiment on my site for google ranking

I am new to SEO and I am running an experiment on my site of a very basic keyword to see if I do everything just right how quickly it will come up. If anyone wants to give any tips I would appreciate hearing them, I also shall be giving some updates as to how it goes with regards to ranking in google:

The Facts:
    My Site xxxwww.zudora.com (Job search engine)
    -Keyword Picked: xxx"K2 Partnering Jobs" (In Google has 81 links to the keyword so I should be able to get it, right?)
    home page, then -Where to find the K2 pages- company directory You will then see the start of the information to get the keyword listed.

Facts for the keyword:
    -In the company directory page I have put keywords in the Meta, used H1 tags, put text about the company then I have used a domain link to more information about the page e.g. xxxhttp://k2.partnering-jobs.zudora.com/zudora/companies/k2-partnering-jobs.html

As you can see in the URL I have a subdomain with the name. I also have a HTML page with the name. When you go into the link for xxxK2 Partnering Jobs you will see I have my, h1, keywords, alt, link backs etc. (Also as you can see in this post I am using keyword specific links to the site) I have run the site through w3c as well to make sure it is compliant.

So lets see what happens. any tips are helpful. I set all of this up last night

Coz
    Last edited by cozza; Mar 5th, 2005 at 04:06 PM.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

One tip - having placed your keywords here on seo chat just might make this thread rank higher than your own site.
  5. Contributing User

interesting

Originally Posted by dazzlindonna
    One tip - having placed your keywords here on seo chat just might make this thread rank higher than your own site.
    Interesting Lets see what happens. If that is the case and I come up second it will still give me a good chance to get an idea of what I have done is a good thing, and for other keywords I would use links from sites that would not get higher than me.

One other point of interest I seem to get scanned currently by the google bot about 3 times a day yet it only grabs 1 page each time It also seems to come in at the same time everyday. I will also report on the increase in volume on this.
  7. Bork, Bork, Bork!

Also, if google indexes this thread above your page... at least visitors can still see a reference to your site!

(it has happened to me before, but not this forum)
  9. Contributing User

Lightbulb Google Bot is doing something

The google bot 66.249.64.xx has slowly been going to the company page and linking through to the alphabet links I have at the bottom of the page. There is no order to which one it looks to and it is doing this very slowly it has not linked to my k2 partnering link. This has been happenning in the last 3 hours
  11. No Profile Picture
    Banned

seochat is ranked highly for some terms but hey I don't think putting " Canon SD300" is going to remove my spot lol
  13. Contributing User

I tried a similar test and managed to get a site to #1 in Google in three days. It's been pretty steady there (it bounces to #2 or #3 sometimes, but then jumps right back up to #1). I'm a little reluctant to reveal the keywords or the domain... call me paranoind, but I don't want G to smack the domain because they saw it in an SEO forum. I intend to use it for something real in the future.

I'll say the following things about it:

1 - The domain was in the Wayback Machine. It was previously owned. So I'm hoping I can avoid a sandbox penalty.

2 - It's kinda non-competitive. Doing a search for the term only returns just over 86,000 sites.

3 - The keyword set is actually in the forums here, although it's a keyword set that nobody would care to compete for. In fact, one of the pages of SEO chat just appears under my website in the SERPs.

4 - The only backlinks I have are from a sitewide link on a sandboxed site that I'm running.

5 - I don't even have meta tags for this site. However, the title exactly matches the anchor text for the links pointing to the site. The URL, however, does not contain any of the targeted keywords.
  15. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

seo tools

my server has basic weblog tools. i noticed the specifics at which cozza was able to see what googlebot was doing on site, which is not very specific out of my tools. i am wondering what you are using or if anyone has suggestion for best analysis tools.
  17. Contributing User

finding the Google Bot

Originally Posted by mavrico
    my server has basic weblog tools. i noticed the specifics at which cozza was able to see what googlebot was doing on site, which is not very specific out of my tools. i am wondering what you are using or if anyone has suggestion for best analysis tools.
    My technique is very basic. As I am very keen to get this going and the current traffic to my site is not very big I am looking at the web logs. I have noticed the IP's that look for the robot.txt file and have assumed they are bots. Then I watch for them in the log to come back, as they don't call the robot file when they come back (it seems). then I search for the IP address, and put it in http://www.whois.sc/ to find out which bot it is.

I am sure there is a better way
  19. Contributing User

Google Bot has done the a-z

Basically the google bot went to bascially everyone of the a-z litstings yet is yet to do the the K2 web page. It has come and gone all day so we will see what happens over the weekend.
  21. Contributing User

results over the weekend

Basically the following has happened over the weekend.

-Google Bot searched all the links on the specific page that I wanted it to but is didn't go to the actual link that I wanted it to go to. (This seemed weird) in other words I have a alphabetic list going to other areas of the website which is searched but it didn't go to the specific page?!?

-My keywords came up as a result of the keywords being in my intr page.

-Alexe robot crawled my site very heavily over the weekend and has continued to do so.

Don't know if anyone has had the same experience?

regards
    Cozza
    All IT Jobs
    Accenture Jobs
    K2 Partnering Jobs
    Last edited by SEO_AM; Mar 7th, 2005 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Fake sig link - must have 100 posts and 90 days
  23. Contributing User

My Update as to what has been going on

OK. So basically what I have been noticing on my site which is very weird is that Alexa has been scanning my site since last weekend about 130 times a day.

For the first time today Googlebot has just started to run a couple of searches.

The weird thing is that Alexa bot has been hitting my site so much. Anyone else come across this.

Coz
  25. Contributing User

You were right

Originally Posted by dazzlindonna
    The keywords for this site did appear higher than my site.
  27. Contributing User

Google bot frquesnting my site

Google bot seems to be frequesting my site and ruinning actual searches based on links I have put in that will run a search. The Google bot seems to be like a drunk professor when getting specific links on a page. Anyone know why?