Page 5 of 5 First ... 345
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by BuyGifts
    derryt,

I guess i missunderstood what you were saying. In regards to someone searching on a .ca and selecting only to show Canadian results then the canadian sites are pulled out first.

I do have a question there though, how does google figure that the site is a Canadian site? first lets assume that they check the domain name, in my case its .ca then what does it also check the IP? does it check on page addresses? and so on.

Anyone know this?
    As well as doing it by domain, it uses GeoIP to establish whether the server is hosted in Canada.
    Derryt
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I have been reading this with great interest as I am considering moving my .co.uk British based business domain from being hosted in the uk to a hosting company in the us.

The thread above is very interesting though can leave one confussed. Due to this I decided to use the geotargeting website location tool to test some theories. The results were interesting. I typed in my main keywords where I am in position 3 with google.co.uk (the web) and position 4 (pages for the uk). Position 3 with google.com. Now as mentioned above my hosting service is uk based.

The result was that url at position 1 is hosted in the us. At position 2 the url is hosted in the us. Position 3, myself is hosted in the uk. position 4 hosted in the us. Position 5 hosted in the us. These positions were the result of www.google.com (the web). In the case of www.google.co.uk the result were identical. Then tried www.google.ca (search the web) were the result were identical. In www.google.ca (pages from canada) the result given were tose of Canada.

This leaves me with the conclusion that if the domain extension is .uk and you seek business in the uk it matters little where you are hosted. What was strange was the fact that under www.google.co.uk (uk pages) my site dropped from position 3 to that of 4 and my hosting co is in the uk.
  5. Savior of the Whales
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

are you doing your searches using a UK ISP???

if so, did you use a USA proxy to do the search on google.com??

it may be that google gives YOU the same results no matter where you search based on YOUR IP LOCATION ...... not based on the site you searched on ....

so an american looking at google.co.uk may not see the same results you do??

it was my understanding that there are TwO sides to this equasion

1) where the site is hosted ...

2) the geo location of the searcher ....

so to compare you need to use a USA proxy so google thinks you are a USA searcher ....

I have sites hosted in canada and the USa and i in my testing (using canadian and usa proxies) I dont see any difference there unless you use google.ca AND select ONLY CANADA sites ........ but i thought others had reported some differences with UK/usa hosted sites ....
    *** Search Engine News, Jesus helps JOE BOB SEO save the whales. ***
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I wonder if this could part of my problem. I'm a US company but hosting is in Canada. There are quite a few keywords that I do well with when searching "pages from Canada" but pretty terrible otherwise.
  9. Savior of the Whales
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by wrkalot
    I wonder if this could part of my problem. I'm a US company but hosting is in Canada. There are quite a few keywords that I do well with when searching "pages from Canada" but pretty terrible otherwise.
    IF you host in canada .... you ill do GREAT on the "just canada" results at google.ca ...... but from what i studied myself (it was also some moneths back when this thred started) .... but i thnk it is the same still ..... is that google does NOT count us hosted or canadian hosted any different on google.com ....

if they ever offered a "USA only" search option ..... it WOULD be a problem then ..... but i dont think they want to do that .... the web has no boundaries .... and it is not logical to limnit results except by LANUAGE UNLESS the search term has a geo feature ..... like USA widgets or canadian widgets ..... and in those cases i only see those GEO terms treated like any other WORD ..... (ie blue or cool widgets)
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Can anyone provide a summary of this thread?

- All googles provide roughly the same results, though there are subtle differences.
    - If you want to be found for "search for pages in" either get hosted in that country or get a country TLD.

Is that it?
  13. Contributing
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

My website is a .ca and I have a sub account that is a .org on the same main account. So both are on the same server.

If I search for a key for the .ca site on canadian pages only, it shows. The .org sub-account does not show on the canadian pages only, but is on 3rd pages on google.com for the same search.

So we have a single server with the 2 situations, the server is not the ultimate answer.

My .ca is registered on a .ca registrar, but my sub account is from the free domain supplied with my hosting package. They registered the .org it in the USA. So it could be part the registar location.
    Disclaimer : My posts on SEO are just from my observations and I do not say it is a true fact... A real fact of life is that, I'm often wrong...
Page 5 of 5 First ... 345
  • Jump to page: