1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Sorry, I just realized my examples were labeled backwards... the data set starting with www.gouv.qc.ca is the one from a Canadian IP (I just ran it again to test).

Website does not have anything to do with physical location of the company. I mentioned earlier that everything else being equal, that's where the probability lies. If you're website is physically located in Russia for example, there is a higher probability that your content is going to be more targeted towards Russians than a web surfer in Mexico... Again, everything else being equal.

It all comes down to a simple numbers game... there are probably even more seemingly absurd things that Google evaluates if you look it them individually that it uses to calculate relevancy. If you define relevancy as something completely black and white with only a few basic rules, then anyone is going to be able to manipulate it. A major part of Google's good (at least compared to other search engines) relevancy comes from the fact that it *is* so complicated by taking thousands os unrelated little things into account.

- Shawn
  3. Savior of the Whales

OK so either way ... comparing this set - which are BOTH identical searches from two different canadian IP addresses ... they are also slightly different ... ... and i suppose the difference is attributable to accessing data centers ... since both are canadian ip's ... i say that because i did the searches over a number of times ... and saw the differences move back in and around ..... so i think all the differences are just datacenter differences ... the same sites are there ... and if you refresh enough times you will see them in the same sequences ....

***shawn from a canadian ip ....

www.gouv.qc.ca
    www.gouv.qc.ca/Index_en.html
    www.bonjourquebec.com
    www.toile.qc.ca
    www.uqam.ca
    www.hydro.qc.ca
    www.quebecregion.com
    www.lesoleil.com
    planete.qc.ca
    www.bnquebec.ca

*************** me from a canadian connection

www.bonjourquebec.com/ - 2k - 22 Feb 2004 - Cached - Similar pages
    www.toile.qc.ca/ - 69k - 22 Feb 2004 - Cached - Similar pages
    www.gouv.qc.ca/ - 38k - 22 Feb 2004 - Cached - Similar pages
    www.gouv.qc.ca/Index_en.html - 37k - 22 Feb 2004 - Cached - Similar pages
    www.uqam.ca/ - 18k - 22 Feb 2004 - Cached - Similar pages
    www.hydro.qc.ca/ - 3k - 22 Feb 2004 - Cached - Similar pages
    www.quebecregion.com/ - 8k - Cached - Similar pages
    www.lesoleil.com/
    planete.qc.ca/ - 43k - 22 Feb 2004 - Cached - Similar pages
    www.mdq.org/ - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

so from this ... i still do not see anything to make me think there is an IP difference ..... and surely I think it is safe to conclude that IF google is giving any preferance to sites hosted in the same country as the searchers IP ... it is not enough difference to notice .... particularly near the top of the serps .... for CANADA/USA anyway ./.. i have never analized this for any other countries .... you mentioned sites NOT SHOWING AT ALL ... so that is certainly not what we are seeing here ... so maybe it is all a lot different as to different countries ....

one thing i think this does do however ... is give webmasters paus to consider where they host ...

do you know of a way to have both a USA IP # and a canadian IP for the same domain name?? i think you can only have ONE ip per domain ... right??

how can businesses who want to host in canada avoid possible changes in this sort of nonsense by google?? maybe it is not counting for much if at all today ... but who knnow what some turkey at google may decide to do next year ....
  5. Contributing User

In theory you could have multiple IPs per domain (basically by using different data centers or DNS round-robin), but it would serve no purpose, because Google will only recognize one IP per domain at a time (whichever one it was routed to at the time, just like end users would be).

I don't think I ever said sites were cut out completely (if I did, that's not what I meant... and I'm too tired to go up and review it).

And you are right, I don't think the geotargeting is a big enough factor that you should make a hosting decision because of it... Unless you are in a certain country, and you want your site to show for regional searches limited to that country of course.

- Shawn
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

going beyond ip

I'm from India. I've got a couple of websites - all hosted in the US.
    So technically, these websites should show up as US websites. This is confirmed when I use Shawn's tool.
    However, when I search for websites from India in google.co.in, I get these websites right up there for my search terms. Now how do they do that??? Google's really giving me the creeps - don't tell me they're spying upon the WHOIS database of registrants.
    Any clues?
  9. Contributing User

Are the domains running on Indian domains? (*.in)?

- Shawn
  11. Contributing User

Yep... Google also uses the country suffix to determine the country it's "in".

- Shawn
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

digitalpoint!

This might be a stuipid question, but I just want to see if I understand it correctly.

A germen site on a international toplevel domain should be hosted in Germany. A german site hosted on the German toplevel domain could be hosted anywhere.

Is that what you are saying?
  15. Contributing User

Right... assuming you want it to show up in the german regional results, it would need to either be on a .de domain, or if it's a .com/.net, etc. should be hosted on a German IP address.

- Shawn
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you, digitalpoint.

I hope this doesn't get silly. Do I understand you correctly if I belive that only international tld are placed according to ip. So to host a .us in Canada or Sweden dosn't make the website less of a US site? There are a lot of sites around the world with under the the .tv and .cc, will these sites have a hard time getting into to correct regional listings?
  19. Contributing User

For the country specific searches, I believe that is correct... where a domain needs have a suffix for that country, or if it's a .com, .net, etc. should be on an IP in that country.

As far as if a .se hosted on a Japanese IP address (as an example) gets added to Japan specific results or has any altered weight because of it, I have no idea... probably only Google can answer that...

If you find a .tv or .cc or similar domain hosted on a non-US IP address, let me know... would be interesting to test.

- Shawn
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by digitalpoint
    If you find a .tv or .cc or similar domain hosted on a non-US IP address, let me know... would be interesting to test.

- Shawn
    Hello,

I have a few for you, the IP location is checked using your tool.

www.guiden.tv norwegian site located in Norway.
    www.rtt.tv finnish site located in Finland.
    www.nonstop.tv english site located in Sweden.
    www.artvideo.tv english site located in the UK.
    www.broadview.tv english site located in Germany.
    www.nicefish.tv english site located in Canada.

www.dict.cc english site located in Germany
    www.horseshoe.cc english site located in Hong Kong
    www.gordons.cc english site located in Germany
    www.trondheim.cc norwegian site located in Norway

Please post any findings, I really would like to learn more :-)
  23. Contributing User

Originally Posted by requiem
    Hello,

I have a few for you, the IP location is checked using your tool.

www.guiden.tv norwegian site located in Norway.
    www.rtt.tv finnish site located in Finland.
    www.nonstop.tv english site located in Sweden.
    www.artvideo.tv english site located in the UK.
    www.broadview.tv english site located in Germany.
    www.nicefish.tv english site located in Canada.

www.dict.cc english site located in Germany
    www.horseshoe.cc english site located in Hong Kong
    www.gordons.cc english site located in Germany
    www.trondheim.cc norwegian site located in Norway

Please post any findings, I really would like to learn more :-)
    Looks like Google is not treating .tv or .cc domains as "International" domains (technically they are not).

guiden.tv shows up in a country specific search for the country of Tuvalu, but *not* Norway:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:...cr%3DcountryTV
    http://www.google.com/search?q=site:...cr%3DcountryNO

dict.cc shows up in a country specific search for the Cocos (Keeling) Islands, but *not* Germany:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:...cr%3DcountryCC
    http://www.google.com/search?q=site:...cr%3DcountryDE

The others are all the same (I wont bore you with the URLs of each)... so it does look like the domain suffix is always overriding the physical location when doing a country specific search.

The lesson? If you want a site that shows up in the regional searches for a specific country, make sure you have a domain with that countries suffix, or a .com, .net, .org that is physically located in that country.

- Shawn
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by digitalpoint
    Are the domains running on Indian domains? (*.in)?

- Shawn
    Nope... in fact, nothing about it is Indian (not the DNS, host, IP or domain). Only thing Indian is the mention in the Registrant and the 'Contact Us' on the website.
  27. Contributing User

It looks to me like it's on an Indian IP address...

- Shawn
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks Shawn for all your help. Please do let me know if you get any more clues...
    Arun