1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Does using Adsense boost your SEO ranking?

Ok, I do realize that Google will never admit it.

However, recently this year i have seen alot of sites start climbing in the rankings for our niche.

There is nothing spectacular about the websites. Very little content, keyword stuffing, 1-2 year old domains, poor page speed scores and a lot of other factors I can see that would actually bring their rankings down.

However, one detail i've noticed about all of them is they all run Google Adsense ads. (and alot of them stuffed on the homepage)

Our site and a few others who do not run Adsense have fallen even after spending better part of a decade in the top 1 or 2 for our targetted keywords, only to see them being taken over by websites which have no reason to be there except that they run Google Adsense.

Any others noticed this?

I have not tracked other keywords and only focus on our niche but wondering if this is now a new ranking signal.

I guess from Googles perspective, it could be seen as a ranking signal because "Adsense approved" sites are supposed to have quality content. So, why not help out Google's bottom line by bumping up websites that use Adsense.
    Last edited by Webfanatic; Nov 27th, 2017 at 03:19 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have never noticed it, on the flip side, there is a part of the algo that may actually punish you for using Adsense if you use too many adboxes above the fold.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeah i know but thats not what i've noticed. These sites all have a ton of adsense above the fold.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I think your analysis is faulty, no offense. They are ranking for other reasons... possibly from PBN's most likely.

Provide a couple of the sites you are talking about. Then we could possible help you identify the reasons they are ranking.

Comments on this post

• JohnAimit agrees : SERP fluctuation is the norm at present. I'd put it on RankBrain signals.
    • sksharma agrees : AdSense never be a ranking factor.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

talkwithstranger.com

chatiw.us

mocospace.com/chat

Those are a few sites that just flew to the top of the rankings for various "chat" related keywords.

They all run adsense on their sites (which chat sites are not allowed to run but thats another story for another day) and they pretty much were nowhere to be seen the last couple years until this past year or so.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Nov 29th, 2017 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Delinked
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Webfanatic
    talkwithstranger.com

chatiw.us

mocospace.com/chat

Those are a few sites that just flew to the top of the rankings for various "chat" related keywords.

They all run adsense on their sites (which chat sites are not allowed to run but thats another story for another day) and they pretty much were nowhere to be seen the last couple years until this past year or so.
    I'd wager there's a ton of nefarious black hat deeds going on behind the scenes of those sites, a quick glance at their backlinks says it all really.

Fred was supposed to crack down on ad-heavy/low quality sites like this but plenty still slip through the net.

They'll run out of steam, eventually, but it's likely just churn and burn so they'll simply move onto the next incarnation if they get hit.

The fact they have AdSense is totally irrelevant in my opinion.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Nov 29th, 2017 at 02:56 AM.
  13. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

The website that I have at the top for Free Chat Rooms takes me to a captcha page with no relevant text, after the captcha there's a log-in or sign-up page with no relevant text. Yet it ranks #1 for Free Chat Rooms! This makes me chuckle at the SEO folks who write 1000 word essays on how important on-page SEO is with no mention of links.

It's 90% links, 10% all that other crap. Now, if you live on a tiny island or you only work in zero competitive industries you could be led to believe that on-site matters.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes, its amazing.

Here is a new site, that is climbing the ranks: chatws.com

Recently opened. Oh guess what, it has Google Adsense on the home page with one small chat script and a few key words.

Let's face it guys, like I said. Why couldn't Google use Adsense as a ranking factor? If you are approved for Google Adsense, doesn't it mean theoretically you are supposed to have a site with high quality content. Afterall, it was approved by the Google Team so supposedly another set of eyes (whether its a human pair of eyes or a googlebots eyes) has seen the website and it has "content", therefore it is good.

Googles overtaken by these quick cookie cutter websites spammed with on page text, cheap chat scripts, and a ton of spam everywhere. (including spamming their very own website in our chat rooms with bots) Really unfortunate when the older websites no longer get any boost due to domain name and establishment. That has all been taken away by abusers who register or buy older domain names. So, now we are all left to fend off those who use Blackhat techniques to game the system.

Anyways, the point of this post was more about the connection between Adsense and websites.

We would love to run Adsense but they banned "chat sites" years ago. A quick google search and you can see a lot of information about that.

Here is part of their terms and conditions:

Ads on dynamic content
    Publishers may not place Google ads on pages where dynamic content (e.g., live chats, instant messaging, auto-refreshing comments, etc.) is the primary focus of the page.
    Last edited by Webfanatic; Dec 1st, 2017 at 12:24 AM.
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

You can always report them to Google. It does take a while for them to identify the most obvious sites.
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Webfanatic
    Yes, its amazing.

Here is a new site, that is climbing the ranks: chatws.com

Recently opened. Oh guess what, it has Google Adsense on the home page with one small chat script and a few key words.

Let's face it guys, like I said. Why couldn't Google use Adsense as a ranking factor? If you are approved for Google Adsense, doesn't it mean theoretically you are supposed to have a site with high quality content. Afterall, it was approved by the Google Team so supposedly another set of eyes (whether its a human pair of eyes or a googlebots eyes) has seen the website and it has "content", therefore it is good.

We used to rank #1 for that very "free chat rooms" keyword you searched for, for over a decade no less. Watching everything crumble the last year or two overtaken by these quick cookie cutter websites spammed with on page text, cheap chat scripts, and a ton of spam everywhere. (including spamming their very own website in our chat rooms with bots) Really unfortunate when the older websites no longer get any boost due to domain name and establishment. That has all been taken away by abusers who register or buy older domain names. So, now we are all left to fend off those who use Blackhat techniques to game the system.

Anyways, the point of this post was more about the connection between Adsense and websites.

We would love to run Adsense but they banned "chat sites" years ago. A quick google search and you can see a lot of information about that.

Here is part of their terms and conditions:

Ads on dynamic content
    Publishers may not place Google ads on pages where dynamic content (e.g., live chats, instant messaging, auto-refreshing comments, etc.) is the primary focus of the page.
    The theory of AdSense boosting organic rankings kind of falls flat given the amount of sites that have been hit recently.
  21. No Profile Picture

Adsense is not a part of SEO. It is completely different from SEO. And doesn't boost SEO for keywords ranking.

<snipped links>
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Nov 29th, 2017 at 11:51 AM.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Anyways no point to debate this. Keywords is not the whole story of SEO. Anybody who can even spell SEO knows that. If Google says it's not then I guess it's gotta be no.
  25. No Profile Picture

I wouldn't be surprised if google employees run these sites. You dont think they know their adsense code isn't on these sites? They do quite a bit of traffic, and it would take zero effort to take a peek. Especially given the traffic volumes, i'm sure it would trigger an inquiry.

I never would have said this 10 years ago, but ever since Google banned our Search Plugin in chrome store and forced us to rewrite it, while looking the other way with a few others that are actually closer to malware/search hijacking, i wouldn't be surprised. Google is so corrupt now.