Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Does social media matter?

Hello Guys

There has been some talk on this forum where some have speculated that Google SERP is now somewhat dependant on social media

Can any of the vets please give me some insight into this? Few years back, social media had no direct affect on the search rankings ..

Please advise ..
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I don't think the serps lean towards social media much and if it does IMO it's very very little, I've got old sites with zero social media and these isn't or hasn't been any change in the serps.
    However if your site is social in nature, social media will and can be a major plus...for traffic not serps.
  5. Addicted to SEO

I think you're asking about the ranking published by SearchMetrics, where Google+ was shown as the first ranking factor.

You need to read careffully about how those analysis looked like. If a Google+ and other social metrics were high in this ranking it only means that it was the common factor for websites on top positions in Google. The ranking is available here SEO Ranking Factors - Rank Correlation 2013 for Google USA 2013 and in the next blog post Having doubts about the Searchmetrics they even write that:
    This tries to identify the key factors that well-positioned pages have in common and that separate them from lower ranking pages in Google searches. We performed our analysis by looking at those factors that correlate with pages that rank well.
    Thus, it's even possible that they might have analysed some factors that have no influence on rankings but that are the common element on well-positioned sites.
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Social media matters plain and simple. There are various ways in which you can indirectly and some what directly quantify the impact.

If you look into a crystal ball, by which I mean look at the patents that Google has filed you will see the direction they are going. Real social media interaction and sentiment is where it is headed. Is it the be all and end all of search? No, but is it an important facet of a well structured online marketing campaign? - Yes absolutely!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

thats bad news for social media haters like myself.

However this ranking study shows a 0.3 correlation between plain ol likes and ranking, which obviously cant be helping rankings.
    Last edited by atentat; Jun 29th, 2013 at 03:37 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture

I think social media play main role in your SEO plan.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Mystery
    I think you're asking about the ranking published by SearchMetrics, where Google+ was shown as the first ranking factor.

You need to read careffully about how those analysis looked like. If a Google+ and other social metrics were high in this ranking it only means that it was the common factor for websites on top positions in Google. The ranking is available here SEO Ranking Factors - Rank Correlation 2013 for Google USA 2013 and in the next blog post Having doubts about the Searchmetrics they even write that:
    I read this study its mostly smoke screens
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I am in more confusion from this thread. I assume that, after going through few articles and Matt's video, social media plays an important role in the rankings. That is what indicated by the Penguin update, isn't it?
  17. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by Mystery

Thus, it's even possible that they might have analysed some factors that have no influence on rankings but that are the common element on well-positioned sites.
    I agree with problemo, that doesn't say anything but they ran a lot a data and don't have a clue what makes a difference and what doesn't.
    Last edited by Test-ok; Jul 1st, 2013 at 01:55 AM. Reason: edited link from the quote
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Definitely your search results are not entirely dependant on social media.
    Social signals are just one of the 200 ranking factors but at least for the time being are not that essential.
    Definitely, as I have said in the past, social media can become great sources of referral traffic.
    I hope it helps.
  21. No Profile Picture

Social media do play a very important role in SEO.
  23. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by ash1002
    Social media do play a very important role in SEO.
    What important role does it play?
  25. SEO Learner

Originally Posted by problemo
    Can any of the vets please give me some insight into this? Few years back, social media had no direct affect on the search rankings ..

Please advise ..
    Yes, I read somewhere that Google using social signals in their search result algo

References:

Check out the Search Engine's SEO Table

I can't say Yes or NO because I haven't done any experiment on this

The another reason here:, Google might be using author rank as a ranking factor..

read it

Matt Cutts hints that Author Rank could become a ranking factor soon

Comments on this post

• MattyBoBangles agrees
  27. SEO Since 97

Nice post learner.
    That says they are using it..but it's a small, very small factor, and I doubt it'll ever be too dominate, it's too easy to spam.
  29. No Profile Picture

Nice table; a little bit easy then the chemistry one or the one in the breaking bad
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: