1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Does On-Site Duplicate Content Hurt Ranking?

If I have several pages in a site that are extremely similar in content, almost identical in fact, will Google penalize them and/or not index them?

Thanks...
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

i think it does.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by briche
    i think it does.
    We're thinking of doing a site that targets specific longtail searches in about 100 different small cities. I thought the best way to do it would be to have 100 pages, each with a unique title and header, like "[Keyword] in [City Name, State]", but the rest of the content would be the same.
  7. Angel down from Heaven
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by flnazrael
    We're thinking of doing a site that targets specific longtail searches in about 100 different small cities. I thought the best way to do it would be to have 100 pages, each with a unique title and header, like "[Keyword] in [City Name, State]", but the rest of the content would be the same.
    SE would penalized you from duplicate content. Unique title is not enough to avoid duplication. Why don't try to rephrase every content to avoid duplicate content.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This is the first post that i've read, that I didn't start
    (I feel like I'm not experienced enough to try to help people yet... but getting there - I hope)

Anyway - thanks for posting this - I just caught two pages on my site with an identical paragraph.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

We're gonna have over 100 pages... It's gonna be kind of hard to come up with unique, relevant content for these pages when all the site is for is requesting free construction estimates.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

We're gonna have over 100 pages... It's gonna be kind of hard to come up with unique, relevant content for these pages when all the site is for is requesting free construction estimates.
    What i suggest you here is that put 1st Paragraph as introduction para, which I am sure would not be same for all pages.

Next keep on modifying bit of last para with some synonyms and kw combination.

Once uploaded work on modification of content slowly slowly.

I hope this will work in your case.
  15. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If I have several pages in a site that are extremely similar in content, almost identical in fact, will Google penalize them and/or not index them?

Thanks...
    Google will not penalize you as such for having on-site duplicate content but they may religate some/many of the pages to the supp index or not index them at all. Thus it will not hurt your rankings but it will not help them either.
    Live the moment
  17. Contributing User

Yeah, though a bit difficult, try to be unique with the content. There should be some variations. Bottomline is....when everyone knows that duplicate content is an issue, then isn't it better to avoid it completely?
    Upload Music - My Friend's Musical Passion!
    SEO Chat FAQ's
    Worried About PR? Read This First!
    Fools rush in where angels fear to tread!
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jalaj4you
    Yeah, though a bit difficult, try to be unique with the content. There should be some variations. Bottomline is....when everyone knows that duplicate content is an issue, then isn't it better to avoid it completely?
    Its unavoidable in some cases coz there are too many pages with same theme and its practically very tough to write unique content for all pages within the certain time frame.

And if v are having same content on many pages of our website then SE might filter some pages for not indexing but i think it won't penalize for duplicate content issue... it can be done while you have same content as other page in different website.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

on a side note for duplicate content.. is there anything you can use - tool wise to find out if you have duplicate content over the site wide pages?
  23. Contributing User

Originally Posted by dominating_seo
    Its unavoidable in some cases coz there are too many pages with same theme and its practically very tough to write unique content for all pages within the certain time frame.

And if v are having same content on many pages of our website then SE might filter some pages for not indexing but i think it won't penalize for duplicate content issue... it can be done while you have same content as other page in different website.
    Yeah, i do agree with you on that note that it does get cumbersome sometimes if you have many pages on a similar note.....but even i think that having some similaity within your own site won't prove harmful compared to the case when you have a similarity with other's website.
  25. Contributing User

Originally Posted by newseoman
    on a side note for duplicate content.. is there anything you can use - tool wise to find out if you have duplicate content over the site wide pages?
    U mean for checking duplicacy within the same site???? If i am right????
  27. Contributing User

Originally Posted by newseoman
    I guess this is one of those http://www(.)seojunkie(.)com/2006/05/24/site-wide-duplicate-content-analyzer/
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jalaj4you
    I guess this is one of those http://www(.)seojunkie(.)com/2006/05/24/site-wide-duplicate-content-analyzer/
    that type of thing i think yeah. but hasnt that one been disabled?