Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Does posting in forums decrease rank?

I am currently doing some SEO for a client which has done no advertising at all. The first thing I started to do was post in forums. I did a search on Google for sites which have the word forums in the URL along with the target keyword to find as many relevant forum posts as I could. This activity caused an immediate 10% increase in traffic to the customers site but within two days the clients site dropped 3 positions on google for the target keyword.

I know relevance is not an issue based on how I found the forums in the first place. I am using the keyword as the anchor text in my posts, and the posts are all beneficial to the forums that I'm posting in. This isn't my first time posting to forums, so I know to avoid topics which I can't add anything useful and relevant to. I'm also not creating new topics in the forums, so there is no chance that I'm increasing the value of links to competitor sites by adding new pages to a forum which has more links to a competitor than the site I'm promoting.

Can you please advise the best way to proceed in this situation? The client can really use the 10% increase in traffic but the primary purpose of this project is to build ranking in the search engines.
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I am using the keyword as the anchor text in my posts, and the posts are all beneficial to the forums that I'm posting in.
    Your just posting these keywords in a post? are they keyword text links or are you just typing text?

so there is no chance that I'm increasing the value of links to competitor sites by adding new pages to a forum which has more links to a competitor than the site I'm promoting.
    your only adding value to the forum your posting in (and your adding posts not pages)...a competitor who's also posting in there has no relevance on your links...provided your adding these text links in your post. Unless that competitor owns the forum.

However I believe your links and traffic will be short lived if your not planning on any lengthy participation in these forums.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you for your reply.

As for my posts the keywords are part of my actual message in response to the topic. I word the replies carefully to ensure that the linking of the keyword makes sense.

As for my stay with these forums, that is a giant question mark for me. I tend to keep to forums for a few months and then I lose interest. Sometimes, like this forum, I come back years later because I remember some value of the forum.

I prefer regular attendance to forums I utilize, not for the SEO or traffic benefit, but honestly just because I don't like seeing the word newbie, or other derogatory remarks next to my forum nickname when I haven't made many posts.

There are few forums though that I have more than 100 posts in. I find that those forums cycle between interesting and boring, and the minute I start getting bored I wander off.

To get back on-topic here though, it is very difficult to evaluate the results of SEO on this project. There are multiple web sites involved, and over 50,000 pages on each site. Until now all SEO has been on site because with so many pages there was little need for off-site optimization but the sales team is failing to make any sales so the problem falls on my lap. Anyone with telemarketing experience understands that it takes more than 100 calls to make a sale, but finding good help is difficult. I'm actually just a web application developer with SEO experience. Since this was the first bit of off-site SEO I expected a small increase in ranking, not a decrease.

If Google is really penalizing sites for having links in forums than its obvious where the black-hatters will take this.... It doesn't take a genius to dispatch 100 forums and link to all your competitors.

Either way, until I hear or see otherwise I'll just accept this ranking loss as a fluke. If the rankings continue to take a dive as I attain more links than that will cause a bit of a problem, hard to weigh the value of forum visitors -vs- search visitors.

Thanks again!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by rritoch
    within two days the clients site dropped 3 positions on google for the target keyword
    Three positions isn't much and at this point you dont even know what caused the drop.. it could have been you, it could be the people listed above you, it could have been a minor reshuffle or reindex.
    There are also cases of where a significant change is seen on a page (or where a number of links have sudddenly been added) a temporary drop is seen, whereby it then reinstates a few days or so later.
    Just wait a few days before you panic.

PS the links you placed in the forums are good for brand awareness and a bit of traffic, but not much else... they certainly wont give your site a position boost.
    Last edited by freeflyer; Jun 5th, 2011 at 03:35 AM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Forum posting impact

Forum postings are always beneficial and always improves your search engine rankings. The reason for dip in your website's can be competition activity or a little change in search engine's algorithm etc. but don't worry, keep doing forum postings and you would get the fruitful results ultimately.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic
    • manray
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

apart from the fact that most forums are nofollow, and those that arent the search engines give very very little importance to in terns of link juice, especially in signatures. Forums are just as bad as spamming blogs and do little for your site authority. Dont waste your time.
  13. shuffle up and deal
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

I am currently doing some SEO for a client which has done no advertising at all. The first thing I started to do was post in forums. I did a search on Google for sites which have the word forums in the URL along with the target keyword to find as many relevant forum posts as I could. This activity caused an immediate 10% increase in traffic to the customers site but within two days the clients site dropped 3 positions on google for the target keyword.

I know relevance is not an issue based on how I found the forums in the first place. I am using the keyword as the anchor text in my posts, and the posts are all beneficial to the forums that I'm posting in. This isn't my first time posting to forums, so I know to avoid topics which I can't add anything useful and relevant to. I'm also not creating new topics in the forums, so there is no chance that I'm increasing the value of links to competitor sites by adding new pages to a forum which has more links to a competitor than the site I'm promoting.

Can you please advise the best way to proceed in this situation? The client can really use the 10% increase in traffic but the primary purpose of this project is to build ranking in the search engines.
    A link is a link is a link. The main problem with forum links is that the pages quickly find their way in-to the supplemental index so pass no juice.

If your participating in these forums just for the link juice then IMHO you are wasting your time. If you have no budget for better link building then spend your spare time working in a bar and when you have enough money spend it on having viral content developed. That would be a much more productive use of your time

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : lol.... "work in a bar and save your money" ... nice
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It seems the position loss was a temporary set-back. Without any additional changes there has been a net increase of 4 positions on Google for the target keyword. This SEO campaign is for brand awareness which is why forum posting is important. We're getting more traffic from the forum links than we would with #1 position for the search term but eventually attaining that term is important so we can't risk penalties.

I've spent hours and hours trying to convince the client to invest in content without any success. The SEO "Experts" he talks to have limited experience and think that links are the only way to generate ranking. When he does invest in content but he gives it to other blogs to use so that he'll get additional links. I've tried to explain that he's giving away search engine visitors by doing that but his peers tell him otherwise. My hands are tied in the situation so I'm doing the best I can to build his brand with the resources available.
  17. shuffle up and deal
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

When he does invest in content but he gives it to other blogs to use so that he'll get additional links. I've tried to explain that he's giving away search engine visitors by doing that but his peers tell him otherwise.
    That's not necessarily true. This can be an excellent link building technique. A $10 article will often get you 2 to 3 contextual links which can pass great value on the if placed on the right site. A $10 article isn't going to be good enough to attract it's own links so you aren't really losing anything.
  19. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

It seems the position loss was a temporary set-back. Without any additional changes there has been a net increase of 4 positions on Google for the target keyword. This SEO campaign is for brand awareness which is why forum posting is important. We're getting more traffic from the forum links than we would with #1 position for the search term but eventually attaining that term is important so we can't risk penalties.

I've spent hours and hours trying to convince the client to invest in content without any success. The SEO "Experts" he talks to have limited experience and think that links are the only way to generate ranking. When he does invest in content but he gives it to other blogs to use so that he'll get additional links. I've tried to explain that he's giving away search engine visitors by doing that but his peers tell him otherwise. My hands are tied in the situation so I'm doing the best I can to build his brand with the resources available.
    Glade to here you got your rankings back But you can bet it wasnt because of links in forums that its gone back up! As forums link generally dont hold much weight and link blog commenting are only a quick fix that will not last the test of time like a link on a relevant site/page.

As for your client not wanting to post content on his site, simple tell him and his other seo people "quality content is king!"

As Lewis said guest posting on others blogs etc is a great way to build links if your posting you articles in the right sites! And I can tell you 110% it does work when done right as I do it for some of our clients in a number of niches, but...

You also want fresh quality content to be added to your clients site so advice him to continue with the guest blogging but to also start posting some unique content on his own site that people want to read and watch it grow its own links!
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  21. No Profile Picture

Owners

I've spent hours and hours trying to convince the client to invest in content without any success. The SEO "Experts" he talks to have limited experience and think that links are the only way to generate ranking.
    I am not sure if there is anything harder then trying to work for someone that doesn't know the issue but keeps talking to others and coming up with their own ideas. My brother works for a landscaping company and I filled in their for a couple of months. They have a word they use for stupid people that try to do their own yardwork or micro manage a landscaping project, that word is "homeowner". SEO can be a lot more complex then mowing lawns. If someone has your hands tied that bad it is going to be hard to do anything.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Forums

I don't think that forums are the best backlinks but I would say they do have some value. I wouldn't Spam forums for links for your client. If your going to join a forum make sure your making valuable posts.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Shipping Calculators

Originally Posted by jwiere03
    that word is "homeowner.
    Nice analogy
  27. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Question

Forum posting is the most beneficial way to improve our keyword ranking.. But now I'm confused..
    Is forum posting decrease the keyword ranking?
  29. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by eswari
    Forum posting is the most beneficial way to improve our keyword ranking.. But now I'm confused..
    Is forum posting decrease the keyword ranking?
    NO! Forum posting is far from one of the best link building tactics!

Use forums to grow your reputation in your niche and advertise but dont use them to build links as forum links hold very little value and are likey to be A. nofollow and/or B. removed if your not a known member of the forum C. removed if its not relevant and regarded as spam.

So have a search for things like "how to build quality links" and you should find some much better examples of good link building, also think out the box, you want links that are relvant but not everyone can get their hands on!
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: