1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Does Panda Only Effect the Individual URL or all Pages

Lets say you have 1000's of pages with unique content for each page (e commerce site) but you have noticed a significant drop in rankings for certain keywords and traffic, but you still have good ranking for other keywords but not as competitive.

Would I assume the pages that are no longer ranking well are the ones Google is seeing as Thin Content? Or could something else be going on. 3 Different Occasions we lost traffic by 50% in the last few months but they came back but from this last drop off nothing has come back as of yet.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

It can be sections, as well as the whole site.

Penguin can also effect sections/keywords, as well as the whole site.

Have you examined the sections of the keywords that dropped?

What are the dates of the drops?
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

3 Different Occasions we lost traffic by 50% in the last few months but they came back but from this last drop off nothing has come back as of yet.
    If you just lost rankings on a few different key terms or phrases and not on others, and it's bouncing back and forth. I think thats google tweaking an algo and about to make an update, they test it and you drop...they put it back the way it was so they can tweak it because it didn't give them the results they were looking for, then they test it again (which is when you see these drops) if they like it they leave it on (and you don't bounce back), if they still don't like the adjustment they switch it back and you bounce back again (saying WTF)...when google has it the way they want...they turn it on for good, and now your not bouncing back...now it's time to figure out what was changed.

Having pages that didn't get affected and some that did is a good thing...I would see what each group has in common and work from there.
    To help clarify that..see what the pages that lost ranking have in common with the other pages that dropped and then a couple of the ones that didn't get affected...whats the difference? then fix it.
    Stay on task when doing this, you could over look it every time you analyze it.

That's how I think they do it, I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Test-ok; Nov 20th, 2012 at 04:27 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture

Regarding the dates they were
    August 28th - Evening (came back in a week)
    October 23rd - Evening (came back in a week)
    Nov 12th Evening (have not come back)

I like your post about how you think it's google making some algo changes and than changing them back to tweak a little more to implement the changes. If this is the case, I would think once the roll out is complete our results would be similar and we might fall a few notches or pages, But if this was the case, I would think the rankings/results for all sites would be different and not just a few sites go from page 1 to oblivion..

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees : But you won't know until you look at the data.
  9. SEO Since 97

August 28th - Evening (came back in a week)
    October 23rd - Evening (came back in a week)
    Nov 12th Evening (have not come back)
    these fit your time frame:

Panda - August 20, 2012
    Panda - September 27, 2012
    Panda - November 5, 2012

I would wait a little bit (another week or two) and if they don't come back, find out what they have that the others don't or vice-a-versa.
  11. No Profile Picture

Your saying that these fit my time frame.. so Panda can take a week or a month to fully roll out and hit all sites?
  13. SEO Since 97

According to your dates and the dates Panda updated are in the same ball park, I don't know why you dropped...came back...dropped and came back again and dropped and didn't come back. The way google implements it's changes is purely just a guess on my part. I would still analyze the pages that dropped and see if I can see some common ground compared to the pages that didn't drop.

Would I assume the pages that are no longer ranking well are the ones Google is seeing as Thin Content? Or could something else be going on. 3 Different Occasions we lost traffic by 50% in the last few months but they came back but from this last drop off nothing has come back as of yet.
    Hard to answer without looking at the data and your assumption is as good as anyone's.