1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

It does not make sense

we have a site which ranks 20 for the targeted search phrase out of approx. 250,000.
    The same site ranks 1 for a totally different search phrase with NO text/ or anything else/ content that remotely resembles the search phrase out of approx. 6 million.
    We are now getting more traffic from the number 1 position from people who must be disappointed with their search results.
    It makes you wonder why we bother, for hours trying to match keywords, themes and everything else when G does not seems to care a hoot....... and is their system working properly?
    The same searches with all the other engines bring up results wich represent what you are looking for; G seems to just love big sites/ subdomains with millions of back links that have very little to do with the subject content.
    In our case there is little doubt that allinURL is King or are we just a "oneoff".
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

You need more anchor text. It's the only factor that matters.
    SootleDir - When only the finest link will do | Webmaster Forum |
  5. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I understand your frustration

As LilOptimizar rightly said it could well be to do with anchor text.
    This sounds like it could be unintentional Google BOmbing on a very small scale.
    Post the URL and keywords.
    Basically if there are lots of links with the same anchor text poitning to a particular URL
    and more than there are links that are targeted to it then it will rank for the keyword with the most links containing that anchor text. This is probably what is happening.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by tstolber
    I understand your frustration

As LilOptimizar rightly said it could well be to do with anchor text.
    This sounds like it could be unintentional Google BOmbing on a very small scale.
    Post the URL and keywords.
    Basically if there are lots of links with the same anchor text poitning to a particular URL
    and more than there are links that are targeted to it then it will rank for the keyword with the most links containing that anchor text. This is probably what is happening.
    Can you give me an example of this? I really did not understand...I am very much a newbie in this fiield. Do you mean that I should have lots of links in a page with the anchor text as the keyword to make the SERP for the site high?
  9. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

No (well yes, but more importantly) you need other sites to link to yours, with YOUR favourite keywords showing as the anchor text (between the <A> and </A> tags).

Also, if you post your url and your keywords, be sure to mask them a bit, because as soon as your keywords appear on the SeoChat Forum page, this page will get a high ranking on the search engine (read: google) results pages... Put some spaces within the words, or replace Os with *s. Whatever. Seriously!