1. shuffle up and deal
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Does linking out to quality sites aid ranking?

I know its been discussed a lot on this board so thought you might find this interesting:

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/pagerank-sculpting/

This part in particular caught my eye

"Q: Okay, but doesn’t this encourage me to link out less? Should I turn off comments on my blog?

A: I wouldn’t recommend closing comments in an attempt to “hoard” your PageRank. In the same way that Google trusts sites less when they link to spammy sites or bad neighborhoods, parts of our system encourage links to good sites."

Interesting....
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

He also said this:

" I didn’t say that linking to high-quality sites helped your PageRank, but rather other parts of our system would encourage/reward those links."

Not just encourage but also REWARD.
    Last edited by oldmanrunner; Jul 17th, 2009 at 06:45 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Google has to have a way to stop everybody by default adding the nofollow attribute. Giving a "slight" boost would be a good way to promote sites that link to valuable content.
  7. from the horses mouth
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Is linking to a "quality" site going to negatively impact rankings? I'd say no, ok some PR hoarders would say that you are bleeding out some PR that other pages of yours might benefit from if you kept it internal, but really it's not going to impact on the ranking of the page you are linking from.

Google are certainly making noises suggesting that linking to other good resources may be beneficial, but how beneficial it's hard to say.

I'm planning on linking to more sites in related areas to my sites, not in the name of increasing rankings, but more to encourage trust in my audience and to seem to be more impartial.

The obvious thing to do when linking to sites you may deem to be competitive is to use anchor texts that aren't keywords you compete with them on though.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by oldmanrunner
    He also said this:

" I didn’t say that linking to high-quality sites helped your PageRank, but rather other parts of our system would encourage/reward those links."

Not just encourage but also REWARD.
    If the reward isn't page rank, then the reward must be search engine position... what else could it possibly be?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by seo-sparky
    If the reward isn't page rank, then the reward must be search engine position... what else could it possibly be?
    Rankings is the ONLY reward, ultimately. PR is worthless except to the extent it is relevant to better rankings (unless you are selling links, which is a different discussion all together).

I think Google has always paid some attention to quality outbound links. After all, their goal is simple, show important, quality, relevant results for each search. Sites that provide links to other quality sites are likely to be of value to those searching.

That doesn't mean that adding 100 outbounds to quality site is going to improve your rankings, but I would certainly not be afraid of having some outbounds to good sites - at least not from an SEO perspective.

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  13. Contributing User

So does the page with the outbound link get a "reward" or the site?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by oldmanrunner
    So does the page with the outbound link get a "reward" or the site?
    The site being linked to obviously gets a link (which is always a reward). We are discussing the site doing the linking, and Matt Cutts says it gets a reward. I'd bet he is right (though the reward is likely small and possibly dependent on other factors as well).