1. Data Analysis+KW Research
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Does google penalize for pop-ups?

Is there a downside to having pop-ups on the website, other than higher bounce rate? I've read that this year, Yandex - biggest russian search engine, starts giving penalties if pop-ups obstruct the content, anything similar in Google?
  3. Administrator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Heya,

Well, it depends on a lot of things like what size the ad is and what type it is. Or if it's on mobile, desktop, or both.

Back in November, Google began penalizing "giant ads for apps" on mobile devices. You can read more about that here:
    Google's App Interstitial Giant Ad Penalty Is Now Live
    and
    Google to punish sites for using interstitial adverts | Technology | The Guardian

Starting today, pages with an app install interstitial that hide a significant amount of content on the transition from the search result page won't be considered mobile-friendly.
    I think interstitial is the fancy-pants industry term for "pop-up ad."

I don't believe there is a hard-and-fast "all pop-ups are bad" penalty, though. At least not that I know of. But pop-ups in general create a poor user experience. Here's a thread about Google News that I found interesting: https://productforums.google.com/for...ace=forum/news

This question is irrelevant in the end. Sites are made for users, not for bots, including the Google News bot. If popups and similar techniques are tolerable to users, they should be ok with Google News too...It's up to the webmaster or site owner to know what users can still swallow in terms of ads, popups, popunders, overlays, and all the little critters...A very good site is welcome to show me a popup, [but] a mediocre one sends me bouncing away by a simple overlay.
    You can find more kvetching about pop-ups in this WebmasterWorld thread.

Historically, it seems like Google has never really liked interstitials...so speculation about a pop-up penalty has been swirling for years. Here are two more recent articles about it:
    Google Planning to Devalue Content Behind Interstitials
    https://www.seroundtable.com/google-...tor-20753.html

But that's all speculation, nothing solid.

Hope that helps!

Comments on this post

• knuckles agrees
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by knuckles
    Is there a downside to having pop-ups on the website, other than higher bounce rate? I've read that this year, Yandex - biggest russian search engine, starts giving penalties if pop-ups obstruct the content, anything similar in Google?
    I would love to think there is a massive downside to popups / overlays or what ever you wish to call it.anything that forces users into some action even if that is close is bad news for the user.
    However google have to be careful here of double standards, youtube for example very often force the user into watching a advert before viewing the content they wanted.

I have seen a trend of late of delayed popups on sites which I guess is in an attempt to get past any google detection, if google are working on a solution for this I wish they would hurry up as they are a really pain in the ar$%
  7. Administrator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I hadn't considered the idea that youtube ads are kind of like pop-ups themselves, that's a good point.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Google may well be penalising for pop up ads depending on how they are displayed to the user. November 19th say Google release a 'Quality Update' that seemed to focus a lot on UX. Glenn Gabe wrote a very good piece outlining some of the things Google may be targeting, read it here - Analysis and Findings From the November 19, 2015 Google Algorithm Update - Phantom 3 on 11/19/15
  11. Data Analysis+KW Research

Thanks, folks. this helps a lot.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

A lot of these recommendations are really sensible methods to ensure that the user experience of mobile web is as seamless as that of a (good) desktop page or mobile app.
  15. No Profile Picture

I know that a page with a pop up can not be used in Adwords, and I don't believe that PR is affected in any way, but is it known if there an explicit penalty for exit pop ups within Google's algorithm?
    I know in some industries they can be very profitable, but I don't want to negatively affect my rankings by using them if there are penalties...
  17. Data Analysis+KW Research

Yandex is not like Bing or Yahoo. It's more like Baidu – a must if you promote or russian or eastern european market. According to their data, ~60% of searches in russia are done with yandex. So it's an important engine to follow, but that's not the question anyway.
  19. Contributing User

If Google is really determined to improve UX, then pop-ups are first to go. I don't need stuff popping in my face teaching me "how to become millionaire" while I am trying to become millionaire. Nevertheless, there are obviously some people who like them. Otherwise, Alibaba would never become a global leader in its field.