1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Does google give any bearing to inbound links from own site?

While comparing with a competitor's site, I used the Opensitedirectory backlink thing. To my shock they had 815 backlinks inbound to their site. After filting it though, they only have 18 links from other web site domains. The other 790+ links were backlinks from their own web site and their blog and PR Newswire writeups that they did themselves.

In any case, do backlinks from your own domain name to your index page give you any ranking benefit at all?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

in short yes when done correctly
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

The other 790+ links were backlinks from their own web site and their blog and PR Newswire writeups that they did themselves.
    It wouldn't be the additional content from their blog and news wire write-ups they did themselves now would it?

There's more to put in that comparison than just internal links.
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Yes, internal link structure and link flow through a site is very important.

I have seen some recent testing that shows that only relevance to the anchor text of the first link is associated.

So if you had 3 links all to the same internal page in this order
    1. Widgets A
    2. Widgets B
    3. Widgets C
    Only relevance to Widgets A would be given. This didn't used to be true. It is also sometimes the case that you need to ensure that you have a higher percentage of links to one page from another to help with link flow through a site.

The summary is, careful consideration should be paid to how you do internal linking.
  9. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

That is exactly why content stacking is so kool IMHO.
    It ensures the link you want benefit from is the top-left most link on that page pointing to some other page.

I don't want to write too much, let me show you an example through a picture.
    content-stacking.jpg (Sorry could not get the image to show up here)
    there are three links to the home page.
    1. HOME
    2. My awesome Keyword
    3. Buy my product now
    Now, like Tstolber says, the home link being the first link in the code will be considered. You may well add a title attribute to the link to get some keyword benefits out of it. Else you need to implement basic content stacking or information architecture whatever they call it.

At the code level you need to write the code for DIV B first followed by DIV A. Then use CSS to position the DIVs as per your design.
    So it in the code it should be something like
    <div id="B" style="float:right;"> div B content </div>
    <div id="A" style="float:left;"> div A content </div>

Now this will ensure your home page gets the right vote for the "my awesome keyword".
    The final link is a conversion element, since it is not the first link it does not matter what anchor text you use to link to homepage. All I want to ensure is my product sales. If it takes threatening the reader with kicking his kidney ...well so be it.
    Last edited by NewDelhiSEO; Sep 4th, 2013 at 11:07 AM.
    SEO Professionals in NewDelhi It is different. Don't believe me? Go check yourself.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by tstolber
    Yes, internal link structure and link flow through a site is very important.

I have seen some recent testing that shows that only relevance to the anchor text of the first link is associated.

So if you had 3 links all to the same internal page in this order
    1. Widgets A
    2. Widgets B
    3. Widgets C
    Only relevance to Widgets A would be given. This didn't used to be true. It is also sometimes the case that you need to ensure that you have a higher percentage of links to one page from another to help with link flow through a site.

The summary is, careful consideration should be paid to how you do internal linking.
    And if you have a drop down menu you are basically screwed trying to internal link with different anchors correct?

btw when did this change?

I remember a very old WBF explaining how only the first Anchor to an URL from a document counts.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

If its an inbound link to your own site, it is not considered an inbound link, but rather, an internal link. I don't think Google treats internal links the same as external inbound links, however internal linking is definitely important, as tstolber above has stated. Internal linking helps pass the link power around your site and down to the deeper pages on your site. But in terms of internal links counting as "votes" for your site, I don't believe they count.