1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Does Google dislike content that is moved from one page to another?

One of our sites is a community site that provides news. Adding content is no problem, we add at least 30 new articles per day. Most of these articles start on the index page and are then moved after a day or two to an internal category page. So basically the content of the index page on the site is fully refreshed every two days.

The articles do not disappear, they are just moved. The site is database driven and has an excellent SEF function so the HTML names of the articles stay the same also when they are moved to an internal page.

Googlebot visits the index page at least once a day. It has indexed more than 4000 articles and brings in tons of visitors, SERP rankings on main keywords are ok, usually on the first page.

We also have a few pages on the index with static content. Nothing changes on those pages. They have no back links as we only try to get backlinks for our main page.

What I find strange is that Google reduced the PR on the main index page and increased the PR on the static content page. Based on what we know from other sites (PR was increased on all of them), I dare to say that the content we put on the site is excellent so that is not the problem. The only difference with our other sites is that we move the content a lot faster from the main page to the internal pages as we have too much content.

So my question is, does anybody think that Google will reduce the PR on an index page if it changes too fast according to their standards. In other words should we make the main page more static and publish the content directly on an internal page and leave it there ?
  3. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Sounds like it's not only the speed of the change, but also the amount.

Let's say that Googlebot spiders the index page once a day, and every time it sees something drastically altered...

Perhaps you could leave a little "snippet" of the old articles on the home page for the bot to read, compare and remember... at least for a week or so.

Also move some of your articles straight to the archives (inner pages), but provide a dedicated link (+snippet?) on the home page. Like a newspaper does actually.

I don't know which of these methods you're using already, but I can't think of anything better
    ...please help me w/ the real Redscowl Bluesingsky...how2 check backlinks...now postin' @ SEO Refugee ...
    <`)~ LOL now that I finally have a paypal account, I'm charging 19,- for SEO advice via PM. Seriously...
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

there's some stuff about this (adding/deleting/moving content) in google's latest patent filing.

It's quite interesting - check this URL "http://www.axandra.com/news/newsletter154.htm"
  7. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Don't sweat your PR on this site. There will be lots of PR hounds who will disagree with me here but through experience I have found that making large increases to the size of your site can result in a PR decrease or make it more difficult to move your PR higher.

PR is based 100% on connectivity to the web and is unrelated to content directly (indirectly PR is driven by content as that is what will get other people to link to you).

If you really want to understand PR go here...
    http://www.webworkshop.net/pagerank_calculator.php3

However, I used to spend LOTS of time running experiments on this tool and it paid off well - that was in the past. But now IMO PR is less important to ranking your sites - yielding to WHERE you links are coming from than how many you have and how powerful they are.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  9. KSL Consulting
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

PR benefits of reciprocal linking

Further to Egol's posting, I am also wondering whether Google's latest PR assignment method reduces the PR of sites if most of their backlinks are reciprocal links. It seems odd that I have a brand new Domain with less than 10 fairly low quality but one-way backlinks and that has achieved PR5 yet my main site has many hundreds of reciprocal links (some of good quality) and that still has the same PR5. It's almost like the additive PR "value" of reciprocal links is getting lower at each update. That also explains why sites built around reciprocal linking are finding it tougher now than at the beginning of the year.

My main site PR that was reduced from 6 to 5 in January 2005 and despite my best efforts in getting more reciprocal links, remains firmly set at 5. Makes you wonder whether reciprocal linking is really that beneficial anymore. One way quality links certainly are; reciprocals seem to offer a much lower overall benefit!

Steve

Originally Posted by EGOL
    Don't sweat your PR on this site. There will be lots of PR hounds who will disagree with me here but through experience I have found that making large increases to the size of your site can result in a PR decrease or make it more difficult to move your PR higher.

PR is based 100% on connectivity to the web and is unrelated to content directly (indirectly PR is driven by content as that is what will get other people to link to you).

If you really want to understand PR go here...
    http://www.webworkshop.net/pagerank_calculator.php3

However, I used to spend LOTS of time running experiments on this tool and it paid off well - that was in the past. But now IMO PR is less important to ranking your sites - yielding to WHERE you links are coming from than how many you have and how powerful they are.
  11. No Profile Picture

Hi,

I think wht matters more is, if you change the url, ie. change the path of the file on the server. Cuz there is a high possibility that google has crawled n given a PR to the old path, but if youchange the path then google has to start it all over again. It does happen earlier with me when i was working on one of my site.

Also, if your web page is big on sizewise, then also it does affect the PR.

Paras