Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Does google count javascript links now?

It looks like that Google is counting javascript links since the last Pagerank update of 1 january.

I'm currently linking using the following javascript:

<a href="javascript:window.location='http://www.domain.com'"onMouseOver="window.status='http://www.domain.com'; return true"onMouseOut="window.status=' ';return true" target="_blank">Domain website</a>

But when I enter "link:www.domain.com" at google now, I see my site that is linking with the above javascript code. Before the PR-update that wasn't so.

My site that is using this javascript code is gone a few places in the results of google.

Does anybody knows if Google is counting these javascript-links now? If yes, how can I link (or what do I have to change) to be sure that Google doesn't count them as an outbound link?

Many thanks.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I have been reading for some months now that Google is following javascript links.

Hopefully someone will comment on their expriences.

Shannon
  5. Banned

Why don't you want google to coun't them?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Google follows URLs in HREF attribute regardless of the presence of Javascript code.

An href attribute such as href="javascript:window.location='http://www.domain.com'" shows the target URL, so Google has not problem following it.

Google recognizes "javascripted URLs" in href attributes for at least one year, now.
  9. Banned

Thats in order to defeat people that use javascript to hide urls , so if your asking how to defeat google or hiding urls I think thats black hat and shouldn't be discussed in this honerable seo forum on google optimization..... ummm ya...
  11. No Profile Picture

And if I link using the following code:

<a href="javascript:extlink('http://www.domain.com);" class=dd>Domain website</a>

And putting the following code in a JS file:

<script>
    function extlink(url) { window.open(url); }
    </script>

That's something else as the javascript code I'm currently using. Will Google count it as an outbound link when I use the above javascript code?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Will Google count it as an outbound link when I use the above javascript code?
    Ask yourself: "Does the destination URL appear in the HREF attribute?". If the answer is "yes", then Google will follow that link.

Further, even if Google can't figure out what page a link points to, Google doesn't need this information to correctly decrease your PageRank.
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by LowLevel
    Ask yourself: "Does the destination URL appear in the HREF attribute?". If the answer is "yes", then Google will follow that link.

Further, even if Google can't figure out what page a link points to, Google doesn't need this information to correctly decrease your PageRank.
    Ok, thanks.

Someone told me that it would be an option to link with out.php?id=1 for example, give each link an "id" and use an meta refresh on out.php to http://www.domain.com for example.

Is that right? Does Google see this as an outbound link/backlink to domain.com?
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Does Google see this as an outbound link/backlink to domain.com?
    Probably no. But the PageRank of your page will still decrease, nonetheless.
  19. No Profile Picture

Probably no. But the PageRank of your page will still decrease, nonetheless.
    Ok, I think that isn't an option then. And if I use the following code?

<span class="dynlink" onclick="window.location='http://www.yourdomain.com'" onmouseover="window.status='http://www.yourdomain.com'; this.style.color='red';this.style.textDecoration=' underline'" onmouseout="window.status=''; this.style.color='#0000CC'; this.style.textDecoration='underline'">Anchor Text</span>

And using the following code in my CSS file:

.dynlink {
    color: #0000CC;
    text-decoration: underline;
    cursor: pointer;
    cursor: hand;
    }

Will Google not index the link then? If yes, how can I make it so that the link opens in a new window? So the target is blank? Many thanks.
  21. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Probably not, but you never know. Remember that the sheer intention of not wanting a link to count could raise eyebrows. And bots have eyebrows too. So even if a redirect does what you intend it to, it might trigger a closer look to see WHY you don't want the link to be followed.

Use the most cunning method you can think of, but don't be surprised that it won't work in about a month. I guess what SEs hate most is people trying to fool them...
    ...please help me w/ the real Redscowl Bluesingsky...how2 check backlinks...now postin' @ SEO Refugee ...
    <`)~ LOL now that I finally have a paypal account, I'm charging 19,- for SEO advice via PM. Seriously...
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Wit
    Probably not, but you never know. Remember that the sheer intention of not wanting a link to count could raise eyebrows. And bots have eyebrows too. So even if a redirect does what you intend it to, it might trigger a closer look to see WHY you don't want the link to be followed.

Use the most cunning method you can think of, but don't be surprised that it won't work in about a month. I guess what SEs hate most is people trying to fool them...
    You're talking about the above CSS code yet?
    I also heard that Google can give a ban if you use that code, so I'm a little bit affraid about using it.

Anybody that knows more about this? Or any other methods of linking to be sure that Google doesn't see/count them?
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Will Google not index the link then?
    The Javascript + CSS solution creates a fake link. Since it isn't a link, Google will not recognize it at all... today.

The problem is that nobody knows if a Google engineer, tomorrow morning, will add a new algorithm to detect and penalize those fake links.

So, today it works, and tomorrow it could be the cause of a penalization.

Solution: play fairly.
  27. L8r

I'm not sure why you would want to do this type of linking. Seems like a lot of trouble for little to no gain. But to my knowledge G does not follow those types of <ahem> links. However one of those lovely @domain.com searches will most likely bring up the site as a result.

Originally Posted by wit
    And bots have eyebrows too.
    That's a funny visual.

Solution: play fairly
    Whatever that means.
  29. Resident Black Hat
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I think what the other folks are trying to say is you'll get what you give...that is, if you try to cheat the system (and other webmasters) in the long run it'll hurt you. That may or may not bother you but from the posts I've seen in this forum, you're probably unlikely to find any black hat methods openly spoken about in detail for a couple of reasons:

1. Folks don't like it and don't want it to happen to them.
    2. They're using the techniques and would prefer to keep em secret thus cutting down on the competition.

I haven't run any specific tests so I couldn't answer the question with any accuracy other than to guess.

G-Man
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: