1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Does google associate words with other related words?

For example if your site is all about soda:

soda, drinks, pop, caffeine, pepsi, coke

Does google know that these words all related to each other, and give credit if you use all of them instead of just "soda"? Meaning, if you page title is "Soda" will you get more 'points' from google for having "Pepsi" in a <h1> tag for example?

Thanks
  3. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Yes absolutely. In fact G will rate some words as more important than others (wordrank?). For example "purple" and "violet" are the same thing but a search for violet could bring up a bunch of results for "purple" above pages that talk about "violet"!

I have noticed that we appear in the SERPs for KW phrases we have not optimized for yet, even ones that aren't on our site. I think this is because G has figured out that if we sell X, we also sell Y because that's how our industry works so we must be related to those terms even if we haven't explicitly stated them!

Anyway, I have found it best to use related words as much as posible because you don't know which ones G has added weight to. This also makes for more conversational writting and doesn't look so spammy.
  5. <-- No I am not Kermit
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by rmccarley
    I think this is because G has figured out that if we sell X, we also sell Y because that's how our industry works so we must be related to those terms even if we haven't explicitly stated them!
    Interesting thought... hadn't seen that idea posted here, at least not saying it in that way. If G does that will all sites, then there are definite plusses and minuses... some I'll layout here.

Pros of this:
    - Ability to get traffic from associated terms you haven't SEO'd for.
    - Greater flexibility in content writing

Cons of this:
    - More competition = harder SERP climbing
    - You may be associated with thing you don't do (though G things you 'might' because others often do).

Just my 2 cents.
    SEO Tips

SEO Consulting $50/hr - IM me for details *** PayPal available
  7. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Building on the example...

Note that OTHER (authoritative) "soda pop" sites may have Pepsi in H1 tags as well. In fact, keeping that in mind, your site's content style may well resemble that of the finest authorities in the field.

IMV, being - or appearing to be - an authority on your site's subject is a big plus!
  9. No Profile Picture

Maybe using http://labs.google.com/sets could give you an idea about related KW`s?
  11. <- Solan Gundersen
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Time to introduce Randfish' blog again:
    http://www.seomoz.org/blogdetail.php?ID=39

and then a tilde query:
    ~soda
    Edit: Didn't notice the cross-eyed [google] bbcode icon because I have stared to much on my screen and got eh... cross-eyed. But, just to enjoy (?) Wit I have now edited the post and used the Google-code. Tried to give you some RP Wit, but wasn't allowed.

Comments on this post

• Wit agrees : That is very insightful ;) sidenote: did you use the [google] bbcode tags for that link???
    Last edited by Mano70; Aug 1st, 2005 at 03:39 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Mano70

and then a tilde query:
    ~soda
    ok thanks for that link but I thought I'll just add that goole says they don't accept parameters called ?id= so that link would not be spidered.
  15. SEO Bum
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Mano70

and then a tilde query:
    ~soda
    hmmm... interesting, so if one was to aquire a list of all the unique bolded words in the top 250 results or so for a particular keyword they would have a good outline of content... would also make a good list of alternate anchor tags...

wow beeen doing this stuff this long and i never knew about the ~keyword search, man im ignorant
  17. <- Solan Gundersen
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by sparknote_s
    ok thanks for that link but I thought I'll just add that goole says they don't accept parameters called ?id= so that link would not be spidered.
    Yeah, Google says so in their webmaster guidelines, but they still do. <sidenote>Wonder why they added this to their guidelines recently since they spider both ?id= and &id=</sidenote>

Don't forget to read the HOLE post at SEW that Randfish points to in his blog.

[google] bbcode tags? Have you been drinking again Wit?
  19. SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

There is the idea of co-occurrence that suggests whether two words or phrases are related, without having to manually enter this information or construct a system of measurement.

Co-occurrence simply uses the search engine's own index of the www to draw conclusions about the relationships between words or concepts.

For example, if a search engine wants to know if the term "cats" is more related to "feline" or "canine", they can simply scan their index for the terms and note that "cats" and "feline" occur far more often on pages together than "cats" and "canine" do - they could even determine, based on the fact that they occur together SO often, that the terms are closely related.

There's lots more data about this subject available:

- www.miislita.com/semantics/c-index-1.html
    - www.seomoz.org/blogdetail.php?ID=207
    - forums.searchenginewatch.com/showthread.php?t=48

Comments on this post

• Mano70 agrees : When the blog-owner comes to rescue, what else is there to do than just give some RPs?
    Last edited by randfish; Aug 1st, 2005 at 05:02 PM.
    CEO & Co-founder of SEOmoz
  21. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Mano70 - yes, but that's beside the point.

If you start a new thread, or reply (with quote) to some post, then there's this button that wraps [google] tags around stuff. I just thought maybe you used it....

Sorry, off-topic, please carry on people...................
  23. SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Also, in a strange coincidence, the blog entry from today is (paritally) on this topic, as well - seomoz.org/blogdetail.php?ID=304
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Of course, search for yourself, in the following example I have asked Google to bring up everything relating to 'canine' (since Rand mentioned that one ) less the actual word 'canine'...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLD%2CGGLD%3A2005-11%2CGGLD%3Aen&q=%7Ecanine+-canine&btnG=Search

You'll see that Google has highlighted the term 'dog'

Now ask Google to bring up everything relating to 'canine' less the actual word 'canine' and the actual word 'dog'...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLD%2CGGLD%3A2005-11%2CGGLD%3Aen&q=%7Ecanine+-canine+-dog

Google also relates the terms 'teeth' 'vet' and 'feline' with 'canine'.

Jane
  27. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

randfish - Tried to rep but...

Anyway, yes, this is the brainy way to make my point - thanks!

Originally Posted by jrothra
    Pros of this:
    - Ability to get traffic from associated terms you haven't SEO'd for.
    - Greater flexibility in content writing
    About 15% of our SE traffic is for terms I haven't SEO'd for. I'm not complaining.

Also, I'm a big advocate of using related words (synonyms, etc.) as G gives each one a different weight. I even went so far as to replace a bunch of our KWs with related terms. Result: jumped from top 20 to top 10. This was that last little push we needed!

Originally Posted by jrothra
    Cons of this:
    - More competition = harder SERP climbing
    - You may be associated with thing you don't do (though G things you 'might' because others often do).
    Climbing the SERPs doesn't get any harder. This is exactly what's been going on already, you just didn't know it!
    Every once in a while I'll see a strange search phrase in our logs. I have 4 major competitors on the SERPs that appear for *everything*. My guess is a lot of BLs contribute to this with optimized terms in the anchor text. The related terms theory doesn't cover this much ground!