1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Does Google Analytics affect your ranking?

I made a Google Analytics account directly when it was introduced but I didnít implement the code to my page because I was afraid that Google would use information to rank my site worse. They could use information like amount of visitors, IP returns, visits from countries etc. Anyway have anyone seen any reports about this effect when implementing the Google Analytics code to a page/site?
  3. Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by zipz
    I made a Google Analytics account directly when it was introduced but I didnít implement the code to my page because I was afraid that Google would use information to rank my site worse. They could use information like amount of visitors, IP returns, visits from countries etc. Anyway have anyone seen any reports about this effect when implementing the Google Analytics code to a page/site?
    Yes I have heard a couple reports which couldn't be substaniated. My opinion is that 1> they don't know how to use the software to see the right no. of visitors or
    2> They aren't tracking the right date range.
    This was the case anytime I checked. Google Analytics takes 24 hrs to update so you can't really check todays visitors till tomorrow.
    Also some web stats programs will track a real person coming twice to a site as two uniques because of a slight IP change. Google usually tracks it as only one.

I don't think there is any reason google would use this data to move your ranking as a few visitors only means you don't have the good rankings yet. I wouldn't worry about it - just expect a abit of a difference in data compared to your regular stats program.

Comments on this post

• 300m agrees : I agree
    • jwatsonl agrees
    -DONíT BUY Keyword Elite V2 till you read this review- Please Digg!
    -SeoChat SEO FAQ - Read the FAQ. It may answer your question.
    -Ultimate Guide to Link Building - What you always wanted to know!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Absolutely not. There is a video on Matt Cutts blog where he comes right out and says that Google Analytics in now way shape or form affect rankings. He said the biggest reason is because they want people to be able to use the service without worrying about any affect it may have on their site rankings.

There have been situations where Cutts hasn't told us everything, but in this case, I'd have to say he's right. THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR RANKINGS.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Visio
    I don't think there is any reason google would use this data to move your ranking
    I agree with everything you said about it, but it might not be this day they are using the data for rankings, i think that they will eventually look in to that for a couple of reasons. Lets look at it like this, Google is the market leader in search, they have google analytics which gives them a broader insight as to other search engines like Yahoo MSN or Ask. What keywords are you ranking for on those? Whats the most common thins people search to find your site? Where are the majority of MSN users that find your site from? Of course those are all hypothetical questions, but if Google wanted to really get in to it (which they may be already), they could essentially be offering somthing that was a paid service for free so more people use it, and it would eventually give them some basic insight on other search rankings and compare them with their own so they can stay a step ahead of the competition. I use analytics for organic purposes only, but there is a way to see conversions from PPC campaigns via funnels ( i THINK). I am not 100% sure on that because I am not the PPC guy and do not set those things up on my account, i only want the organic stuff and site ovelay.

Can you set up a way to track ppc campaigns in analytics? If yes, can you track different types of ppc? Like adwords, SEM, Ad center? Like i said, i do not know if you can do that because i am only organic and the ppc guy we have is not using it. But if you can do that, Google can grab mountains of information from other search engines. However, thats kind of off topic but it is interesting none the less.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The problem with that scenario as Matt says in the video, is if they began using google analytics to help in determining rankings, it would surely deter some users from using it at all which defeats the purpose of offering the service in the first place.

I may be wrong, but I believe Matt actually said they had no plans that he knows of to use the analytics in determining rankings because of this.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I agree with the overall sentiment here that Analytics does not directly affect your serp's however I think it does most definetly affect serps overall.

Google essentially collects full site stats (ip, browser, geo origination, referrer, page hits, conversion etc....) This is an intoxicating cocktail of information regarding a website let alone the generalized market segment. Analytics gives Google a much broader scope of information regarding where and how your traffic is arriving , which engines are referring it, which sites etc...

I think it would be naive to assume this information is completely benign. Although they currently may not use it directly to affect ranks I 100% believe that Analytics plays a very very large role in Mr. Cutts' "quality" team. Google is a profit based business and not a charity, by having access to see a sample set of highly visible/high traffic/highly converting websites they most surely use that information on some clinical level to tweak and adjust their own algo's to ensure they can maintain longevity. The motivation in applying some heuristics for their Adwords division alone is hard to ignore.

If I hadn't writtent it clearly enough; I DO think Analytics data is used/interpreted/collected to establish trending and market snapshots. The results of this data also def. finds its way into the Algo's etc... not specifically to target a particular website but rather to increase Googles own market share, quality and ultimately share prices ;) just my .02 on the matter.
  13. SEO at Sea

Originally Posted by seoclinic
    I agree with the overall sentiment here that Analytics does not directly affect your serp's however I think it does most definetly affect serps overall.

If I hadn't writtent it clearly enough; I DO think Analytics data is used/interpreted/collected to establish trending and market snapshots. The results of this data also def. finds its way into the Algo's etc... not specifically to target a particular website but rather to increase Googles own market share, quality and ultimately share prices ;) just my .02 on the matter.
    Perhaps you are right. However, I used Analytics on one site of mine that was ranking in the top 10 for some competitive KW's. Two months after implementing Analytics, I can say with confidence that it has not affected my rankings one way or anther. I am using analytics on my new site that is not even indexed fully. I am in no way concerened that using analytics will hurt or help my SERPS.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Code:
    Perhaps better stated as:

I agree with the overall sentiment here that Analytics does not directly affect your serp's however I think it does most definetly affect index results/quality and Adwords in the big picture. More so a macro-effect on the index results as opposed to a micro-effect per site.

Comments on this post

• 300m agrees : well said
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

SEOClinic makes a good point, that while it may not affect a websites rankings that uses it, Google will likely put findings to good use for improving the relevancy of their SERPS. Maybe, and maybe not, but I wouldn't discount this point as their business is based on data and google analytics is obviously full of usefull data.
  19. My first avatar here
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

visio is rigth, but more important than google rankings is that google analitics help you understand and know your client activity and this will help you change few things in your website and becuase of this get more sales.. thats what google analitics try to do, even if its helps or not in rankings i dont see much difference in spot 3 or 4 in rankings if your website is better in terms of design, usability, marketing, and content your website can get less traffic but more clients.
    I am a content scrapper. If you need to obtain and process big data, pm me.
    I have a multi-threaded spider that runs on several ec2 instances.
    I have been crawling twitter, and other big guys for a while. Outputs: SQL, XML, CSV, MYSQL, TXT