1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Does a form hurt seo?

Hi Everyone, new member of the forum and I'm psyched to be here.

Got a question-- is there any negative seo value to adding a contact form to a page?

A little background... my site contains many profiles of organizations and until recently (the last week or so) each individual org page returned in the top 10 when searched on the org's name.

The only change made of late to the pages was the addition of a contact form that allows our site visitors to contact the member org directly from their profile (in the past we asked folks to click over to a separate inquiry page-- our new approach is intended to remove a click from the equation).

I'm wondering if this is a problem and if I should remove the inline from our org pages.

Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by skehan35; Dec 31st, 2008 at 02:47 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture

Realized I didn't mention that the <form> itself falls toward the bottom of the page source- all of the content that needs to be indexed rests above it.

I thought this would help prevent any issues with google's bot getting blocked. I didn't want the form to show toward the top of the code for fear of throwing an un-needed hurled at the bot.

Not sure if this is of any help, but I figured I'd mention it.
    Last edited by skehan35; Dec 31st, 2008 at 03:09 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

form is an html tag. why would be a problem using it?

Originally Posted by skehan35
    Realized I didn't mention that the <form> itself falls toward the bottom of the page source- all of the content that needs to be indexed rests above it.

I thought this would help prevent any issues with google's bot getting blocked. I didn't want the form to show toward the top of the code for fear of throwing an un-needed hurled at the bot.

Not sure if this is of any help, but I figured I'd mention it.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by feras80
    form is an html tag. why would be a problem using it?
    I didn't think it would be a problem, but the drop in ranking coincides with the addition of the form. I'm stumped.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

If your site used to rank well for these before you added the code, it could just simply be that you changed the content/keyword mix of the page.

This theory rests on the assumption that your rankings were mainly based on internal factors, ie your own content, rather than external factors, ie links.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    If your site used to rank well for these before you added the code, it could just simply be that you changed the content/keyword mix of the page.

This theory rests on the assumption that your rankings were mainly based on internal factors, ie your own content, rather than external factors, ie links.
    Very interesting comment... hadn't considered that factor. Can you recommend a tool to assess content/keyword mix? Any recs on how to deal is much appreciated.

In terms of links, I have a few hundred of these profiles and each one enjoys anywhere from 6-10 anchor links from outside sites.

Thx for the feedback!
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

The home page of SEO Chat offers a wide variety of keyword tools. Look under tools in the navigation bar.