1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Does Duplicate meta descriptions/Duplicate title tags affect my site's position?

I find that some Duplicate meta descriptions/Duplicate title tags in my google webmaster tools. Does it affects my position?
    Thank you.
  3. I Never Finish Anythi
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Duplicate Title and Meta tags ends up your pages being thrown into similar pages category, thereby, declining their chances to show up in SERPS that often.

Title tags are something that can enhance the CTR, but if they are duplicate, only one page will get the benefit and rest other stay off the game!

Suggestion: Change them to unique and let those pages be in game, you never know, which page wins you the game.. afterall they are increasing the surface area of your website on the SE's.

Comments on this post

• tomhanks agrees
    Link Diary - Build Links Fast & Easy. Similar to Linkmarket, with option of three way link exchange and anchor rotation.

**"Save SEO Industry - GO VIRAL!! - Tips and Tricks ."**
    **"Live, not just to survive, But to Rule."**
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by downpanda.com
    I find that some Duplicate meta descriptions/Duplicate title tags in my google webmaster tools. Does it affects my position?
    Thank you.
    Yes , Duplicate Title Tags May effect your rankings , as google wants every page to has its own genuine and relevant Title's
    or in simple words you can understand as every page has its own importance Like services.html will describe about services being provided by that company , in aboutus.html it will be about the company itself etc , As every page has its own importance it is understood that each page has its own title's etc.

Regards
    CR
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Yes absolutely it matters. About 4 months ago my site faced this small issue but as since been fixed. If you have dup title and desc even though the url is different google will automatically choose which to include in SERPs.

My site had the article page and any comments for that review. meta tags were the same so one day this url would show up in the results, the next a different one. Rule of thumb.. uniqueness is the key.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Noj
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

duplicate title tags is of immemse importance

duplicate description tags is of minimal importance, on a CSS site, of slightly more importance on a tbale laid out site.

You have to change the title tags to target page specific target keywords, to gte anythign like the best out of your site.

If you have alot of pages make the description database fed from relevant data you already have or remove the description completely.
  11. Angel down from Heaven
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by downpanda.com
    Thank you.
    Yes it affects position. Because search engine is also measuring the relevancy of your meta to your content. It would be better if you would create unique content for better position.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Description tags make no difference whatsoever. They are sometimes used in the description but the contents are never factored on rankings. The title tag, now that's a whole different story.
  15. No Profile Picture

you should Create unique title tags for each page.Each of your pages should ideally have a unique title , which helps Google to know how the page is distinct from the others on your site. Titles can be both short and informative but using extremely lengthy titles that are unhelpful to users stuffing unneeded keywords in your title tags.It also stop our site to attain higher page rank.
  17. No Profile Picture

Duplicate title tags and meta descriptions do effect the position of a website. As Google wants unique content on every website so also it wants the title and meta descriptions tags to be unique so that it can easily recognize the pages and will provide better SERPs for the relevant search queries.