1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

does changing internal pages affect your index serp?

I would like to know if changing, adding, or deleting text and products on your internal pages would affect the serp of the index page.
    My site fell from the 1st page in google for several keyword to the 3rd or 4th page.
    The only thing I changed was internal pages text, products, and exchanged a few new links on the links pages.

Or is this just the new google playing, a constant change, so I can't rely on to stay in one spot for any lenght of time.
    Thank You
  3. Head Honcho
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Re: does changing internal pages affect your index serp?

Originally posted by whyme
    I would like to know if changing, adding, or deleting text and products on your internal pages would affect the serp of the index page.

Yes. The Google algorithm counts the number of pages that point to each page, and away from each page. So, every time you add or remove a link, you change numbers in the algorithm. To make a really simple example:

If you have 2 links in and two links out, your PR would be 2/2, or 1. If you have 4 links in and two links out, your PR would be 4/2, or 2.

You see, this is a really simple example of how PageRank works to decide how powerful each page of your site is. Try to minimize where you are linking to, and make sure you know EVERY link in your site. And, of course, maximize the number of pages that DO link to a certain page, to make that page climb in the SERPS.

You don't want to see the algorithm, but try to make a page that has two outbounds and one hundred inbounds...try and guess what the PageRank for that would be!
    Take care,

... Christopher @ BeRomeo
    -----------------------------------------
    Download your Free Seduction eBook:
    http://www.BeRomeo.com
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Yes, it affects your serps(if it are big changes, like adding/deleting a lot of text), it will be better optimized for SE's or less.

If you have 2 links in and two links out, your PR would be 2/2, or 1. If you have 4 links in and two links out, your PR would be 4/2, or 2.
    so if you have 2 outbound and 20 inbound, your PR would be 10! yeah, right, if only it were so easy. than I would have a lot of pr10 sites now.

Try to minimize where you are linking to
    I disagree; if you can make link exchanges with high PR sites, DO IT! it will boost your PR as you participate in the PR value of the site.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Tripper

Uhm Tresern, to say something that I think Manga is thinking now.... this was a VERY crude example from his part and he didn't mean to say you should have 10 times as many incoming links as outgoing links and then you would have a PR10. It was just an example.

Whyme, what you mention is interesting. I am assuming you haven't changed things too substantial, like half the text, links etc and are still seeing these serp results fluctuate. I personally have noticed similar stuff and I think there is some kind of correlation between the keywords on inner pages of your site compared to the index pages and what that index page then ranks highly for. I am not quite sure on this yet as it is something I have only noticed in the past month or two but I will keep you posted on what I notice...it would explain why certain sites like Lonely Planet score highly for 'travel' while there is obviously little optimization here....people link to them saying "lonely planet' and not 'travel site'... room for thought, whichever way you look at it.

I don't think PR is what it is cut out to be. There are several tens of millions of sites that outscore others on pr and rank lower. PR is only relevant for a tiny part in the google algo as you can work out from the formulas published. With PR 'selling' and 'trading' now going on, I am sure it is one of the first things google is cutting back on making important. Remember that their first priority is to give good results, not best optimized results...hard as that is with seo's like us out there keeping an eye on their every move, right!

Regarding what you are really worried about, your serps, be patient; if you don't think your internal changes should have affected your index page too much, you are probably right. Although google is updating something very regularly, it is not the complete picture by a long shot. I have updated a page and sat back to watch it drop (no touching from me after that), rise to spot 30 or so (still no touching) and now it is number 10 (still no touching). I am 90% positive it will be number 1 in a month.... still NO touching. My point is, google is updating, just not totally at once.....
  9. Head Honcho

Originally posted by Tresern
    so if you have 2 outbound and 20 inbound, your PR would be 10! yeah, right, if only it were so easy. than I would have a lot of pr10 sites now.

I guess you missed the part where I said "This is just a basic example of what the PageRank algorithm does", I think to most people it is obvious that it is not number in / number out.

Sorry for the confusion.
  11. Contributing User

yeah, ok. guess it was a very very basic/crude example than.
  13. No Profile Picture

Sam I Am, Like you said my changes were minor product additions, deletions, price changes, add a few new internal links. But minor changes, no big text changes or such.
    I just couldn't believe the fluctuation. As I am an on line store I will constantly be adding and deleting products, so I guess I had better get use to the changes. The serp changes were rather large for the minor changes I made to a few internal pages.
    I had thought each page was an "island" in the serp's with its own title, description, and key words, plus the text on each page....
    I did not know what I did, as far as adding or deleting products, price changes, or adding new links on the link page could result in a drop of my serp on my index page - which I never touch!

Sam I Am said "I personally have noticed similar stuff and I think there is some kind of correlation between the keywords on inner pages of your site compared to the index pages and what that index page then ranks highly for. I am not quite sure on this yet as it is something I have only noticed in the past month or two but I will keep you posted on what I notice...it would explain why certain sites like Lonely Planet score highly for 'travel' while there is obviously little optimization here....people link to them saying "lonely planet' and not 'travel site'... room for thought, whichever way you look at it. "

What you said made sense to me as far as the key words on the internal pages affecting the serp's of the index page. The additions of the new links did not have my key words in their descriptions. Also, some of the products I deleted on the internal pages did have my index pages key words in them.
    So in effect you are saying I lowered the total key words of my whole site when I deleted those products, which affected my index page's serp's.

I hope that made sense as I am not a writer.

Thank You to everyone for their help.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Tripper

Hi Whyme,

Yes, I thought that is more or less what you meant. No huge changes but still big flux for your index page.

I am not sure about this correlation between inner pages and the index page, it is just something I have thought of and which has held pretty true for me so far. But I would be happy to hear other (more experienced) feedback on this! My hunch is that the titles on inner pages count towards the index pages ranking. Once again, it is just a hunch!

Also, has something changed with your incoming links from other sites. That could have made a big difference if it happened...? The jump you mention is quite large!

Sam
  17. No Profile Picture

Only so far as I changed the my description wording on the new inbound links (the links that the other sites would put on their links page) and I had those link to an internal page that had low serp's and no inbound links.
  19. Contributing User

Re: does changing internal pages affect your index serp?

Originally posted by whyme
    My site fell from the 1st page in google for several keyword to the 3rd or 4th page.
    The only thing I changed was internal pages text, products, and exchanged a few new links on the links pages.

Or is this just the new google playing, a constant change, so I can't rely on to stay in one spot for any lenght of time.
    Thank You
    Adding/changing/text on internal pages _OTHER_ than link text for the link back to your home page should _NOT_ change the placement of your of index page in the serps for a given key word.

Changing the text on links back to your index page from internal pages can change the placement of your index page in the serps for keywords.

Diluting internal pr by adding new pages and thus new links can also change your serp placement for various key words as can adding links to external sites.

However what more than likely happened is that the sites below yours in the serps for various keywords changed thier sites page in an attempt to better thier positions. Now it is your turn. This is the SEO game :grin:.

Cheers,
    theBear