Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Does AdWord listing affect your organic listing?

Google makes money from my AdWords listing? Assume I did all the optimizations anyone can do and my site is ready to be at the top of the organic listings.

Because Google does no evil!, should I be confident that my organic ranking is not affected by my AdWords ad. Naturally I would stop using AdWords if my site is listing hight enough but what are the chances that Google is lowering the ranking on purpose so that they keep getting money from me?

I am just being suspicious and not very trusting today. YOu would assume the two listing are working indepdently but I am just asking.
  3. Newbie
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Well, we often use AdWords seasonally and we don't see any change in organic listings throughout the whole year.

Well, we do see results but only really of our site moving around a couple of places - nothing dramatic that we can assign to us turning on or off AdWords.

So my answer is AdWords doesn't affect organic listings

Update: You may want to look at:

http://forums.seochat.com/google-adwords-more-39/adwords-effect-on-organic-rankings-253253.html

Comments on this post

• realityhack agrees : Thanks for sharing your actual test info.
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I have been running adwords since about 2002 and at the same time holding organic #1 postions in those same SERPs. We turn adwords off and on for many reasons.... retail worker on other jobs, out on vacation, big project to do... they can be turned off for a day, a week or several months. No difference in our organic rankings.

Comments on this post

• Zagek agrees : Much clearer post than mine! Especially emphasing the difference in length of turning it off
    • realityhack agrees : I always like to see actual test info. Thanks EGOL
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

On the flipside, I always attempt to exclude my adwords ads from appearing next to my organic listings. Not sure if that's right or wrong though.

Thoughts?
  9. SEO Gawdess

I understand that you get a better click thru when your paid listing is displaying near your organic listing. There is a trust factor in play. "Oh.. they gotta be good..."

So we try to get listed in both places, but our organic listings are usually long tail, and we aim our paid listings at hard to top list for broader terms.

Comments on this post

• eduSEO agrees : Gawdess is right. Perfect example is credicards.com for keywords "credit cards"
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Swirleigh
    I understand that you get a better click thru when your paid listing is displaying near your organic listing. There is a trust factor in play. "Oh.. they gotta be good..."

So we try to get listed in both places, but our organic listings are usually long tail, and we aim our paid listings at hard to top list for broader terms.
    Yeah, that's a tough one... so many different factors at play there. I do know it makes a big difference if you don't have the top position, and are sitting at number 5, but haven't been able to tell whether and ad trumps a #1 position. I do know the ad costs much more, so at that point I guess it's a matter of return on investment...
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by seo-sparky
    On the flipside, I always attempt to exclude my adwords ads from appearing next to my organic listings. Not sure if that's right or wrong though.

Thoughts?
    How do you know when this situation happens? Manually or through a tool?
  15. No Profile Picture

I was thinking that if Google notices that your organic listing, say is among the top 5, it decides not to show your AdWords ad thinking maybe visitors would click on the organic one instead.

I am assuming people notice links on the left side more than the right side of the screen. I do this myself because the organic listing has the page's title and bigger better description than a marketing phrase in the AdWords secton.

Based on the replies so far I will take it that the two listings are unrelated at all.
  17. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

Lots of people debate about bidding on adwords while holding #1 in the organic SERPs.

There is no debate about it.... You simply track the sales that you get from that SERPs and apply the formula....

Profit / SERP impressions

Figure that out for organic only, compare to running adwords in addition and you have your answer.

I make more money doing both. And adwords allows me to present an offer that would be difficult to get ranked in the organic SERPs. So I make two offers, push competitors down, jack up the cost of their bids and deprive them of sales.

Are you stepping aside for your competitor or are you trying to run him out of town?

Comments on this post

• seo-sparky agrees : Makes perfect sense, good answer.
    • realityhack agrees : perfect answer
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

absolutely maybe

No matter how you slice it- increased traffic does have an influence on your rankings as that tells the big G you are more reputable- so if spending more in Adwords gives you more traffic- that should by consequence make you more reputable.

As to HOW much you'd have to spend to have that sort of effect on your organic rankings- that's another story.
  21. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Danieldallen
    No matter how you slice it- increased traffic does have an influence on your rankings as that tells the big G you are more reputable- so if spending more in Adwords gives you more traffic- that should by consequence make you more reputable.

As to HOW much you'd have to spend to have that sort of effect on your organic rankings- that's another story.
    I spent over $20k for adwords last yr for one site, and so no benefit to my serps, so it must be a much bigger number... however common sense tells me that there's no benefit to google to boost your position based on adword spending, and it only proves you have deep pockets, not that your site is relevant.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by seo-sparky
    I spent over $20k for adwords last yr for one site, and so no benefit to my serps, so it must be a much bigger number... however common sense tells me that there's no benefit to google to boost your position based on adword spending, and it only proves you have deep pockets, not that your site is relevant.
    Yeah exactly- if it would require 500k/month worth of traffic to influence the SERPs it's just not worth it. It's one of those 'yes in theory it should do this' but is there data to support that it actually happens- there isn't any that I've seen.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I guess I should also ask- did you see no improvement at all in your SERPs or do you mean you saw no improvement that you could chalk up to adwords spend?
  27. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Danieldallen
    I guess I should also ask- did you see no improvement at all in your SERPs or do you mean you saw no improvement that you could chalk up to adwords spend?
    The site had peaked in the SERPS before I resorted to adwords. Mostly top 15 positions... No change other than the day in and day out slight position changes.
  29. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Our experience is the same as EGOLs: Having or not having Adwords turned on makes absolutely no difference in our organic SERPs placement. There is no affect that we can see.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: