1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Do you think pr will not effect rank now ?

these days, i watch the rank and pr of some websites
    and find that there is little relationships between the pr and rank
    what is your opinion ?
  3. No Profile Picture

well mate pr wouldnt affect ur rankings in any way ... but high pr relevant backlinks would have an effect
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Correct. I agree.

The PR of the site that is linking TO YOU has a large impact on your rankings. If you want a complete list of what drives your rankings, see the VERY LARGE survey over at SEOMoz (no affiliation). They asked over 3,000 SEO's to rank order the factors that drive rank. The PR of the linking site was one of them...
  7. shuffle up and deal
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by purdue512
    Correct. I agree.

The PR of the site that is linking TO YOU has a large impact on your rankings. If you want a complete list of what drives your rankings, see the VERY LARGE survey over at SEOMoz (no affiliation). They asked over 3,000 SEO's to rank order the factors that drive rank. The PR of the linking site was one of them...
    If PR of your site has no effect on ranking in the serps then the PR of a site linking to you has no effect. PR is a bi product of the PR of sites linking to you. That means it either has an effect on your ranking or it doesn't. You cant have it both ways.

I could buy a domain today and point a load of high PR links to it that are completely unrelated. Would that mean a link from that domain would have a positive effect on the ranking of another site?

Of course not. In order to rank you need links from related sites. PR isn't subject to relevance and therefore can't be part of your link building strategy, The only thing you need to consider is whether the link gained is contained on a page that has high enough levels of PR to ensure that its part of the main index and not the supplemental results.

Relevance is key not PR!
  9. No Profile Picture

My opinion is that pr affect ur rankings some way......
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Lewisdb' point about relevance is totally correct and I agree. This is a critical factor

But the "you can't have it both ways" but is an over simplification.

Again - I would recommend anyone looking into this should read the results of the survey I mentioned above. They asked 3,000 of the leading SEO's in the world to say what they thought the top ten factors in SEO are. Don't take my word for anything here. Trust what the best SEO's in the world are tell us.

In the end, you will find that relevance, PR of linking site, and PR of your own site are ALL in the equation (see citation noted above). I believe all three of these factors made the top 10 list.

Hope that helps.