1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Do you think Google lies to us?

Here's what I am thinking....sometimes I will hear Matt Cutts or another Google engineer say something that I feel deep down in my gutt isn't true. Here is one example where Matt Cutts says it doesn't matter if you use a sub domain or a sub directory >> Should I structure my site using subdomains or subdirectories? - YouTube

I just have this feeling that what hes saying in that video, isn't the full truth. I always advise clients against using a sub domain, but the way Matt makes it sound, it doesn't matter.

Another example is this video>> What percentage of PageRank is lost through a 301 redirect? - YouTube Here Cutts tells us that 301s doesn't dissipate link equity. This is a complete reversal of what hes said in the past.

Maybe the term "lieing" is a bit strong but I do seriously question why Google says the things they choose to say. What are ya'lls thoughts?

Comments on this post

• seoguy2013 agrees : Cool!
  3. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

This reminds me of Jason Calacanis keynote at Pubcon.. let me quote:

"Matt Cutts? I can't figure him out! Is he dumb or evil? He can't be dumb given the position he has within the company... So that leaves us with... But he smiles so nicely! How can he be evil?"

Comments on this post

• JoeHall agrees
    • seoguy2013 agrees : Fake account
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

JR Ewing had a nice smile too. lol
    I think it's more about what Matt doesn't say thats important...the read between the lines kinda thing.

Comments on this post

• JoeHall agrees
    • seoguy2013 agrees : hahhahaha
    • Doc Sheldon agrees : and fine lines they are!
  7. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I don't think Cutts lies, he just takes liberties with the truth. For example when Cutts says "this might impact you negatively" what he means is "if you've done this in the past, soon you're screwed forever". Not a lie, just not the full truth. Being an SEO means learning to listen to these types of messages V E R Y carefully.

Comments on this post

• joshz agrees : More like reading in btween the lines, too! "I DID NOT HAVE SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH THAT WOMAN!"
  9. No Profile Picture

I don't think they take liberties with the truth either, they tell you just enough but not too much to avoid people from gaming the system.

Any tidbit disclosed will inspire someone to figure out how to use it in ways it wasn't intended and Google, for all their efforts, ends up with exploitable loopholes which is obvious from all the spam.

Plus there's a fine line between giving answers vs. giving away company secrets.

Comments on this post

• seo Shruti agrees : You are right.
    • Doc Sheldon agrees : exactly!
  11. No Profile Picture

so true LOL
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Joe, in your second example (What percentage of PageRank is lost through a 301 redirect? - YouTube), Matt does NOT say that 301s don't dissipate link equity. What he says is that they currently dissipate exactly the same amount of link equity as a link. I don't see any reversal in that at all.
    As always, we have to listen very carefully to what Matt says, as he's a master of carefully crafted responses. What he doesn't say is often more important than what he actually does say. But I've always analyzed his statement under a microscope, and have yet to ever detect an outright falsehood.

Comments on this post

• Ann Smarty agrees : Just wanted to say, I like that you are here!
    Last edited by dzine; Nov 12th, 2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: delinked then approved
  15. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Google would never lie to their users. That would be like politicians lying for votes... Board members lying to stock holders.

C'mon. Why WOULD they lie? Makes no sense. Financial. Privacy. Nah. Trust them. Trust me. I'm from the Internet.

Comments on this post

• Ann Smarty agrees : Missed you :)
  17. No Profile Picture

If Google lies, what about the others?