1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Do you lose all backlinks from expired domains?

Say you purchased a domain that has expired, but has backlinks.

I know that google resets your PR, but do they exclude the backlinks you already has since the links are still indexed on the other pages.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by pood

I know that google resets your PR, but do they exclude the backlinks you already has since the links are still indexed on the other pages.
    I've bought a few expired domains with links in the past and forwarded them to related sites.

Google counts them in some way as they appear in the webmaster tools as incoming links, however whether they are actually counted to affect the serps, I don't know
  5. 魔鬼是我的背部
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Once you reactivate an expired domain, everything is reset whether its ur PR, TR, link authority, ranking positions or any benefit you might have got through domain age, existing back links etc.
  7. from the horses mouth
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by himanshu160
    Once you reactivate an expired domain, everything is reset whether its ur PR, TR, link authority, ranking positions or any benefit you might have got through domain age, existing back links etc.
    I'd disagree with this statement, I've bought many expired domains, and I know of others who have done the same, and they have not had all their indicators reset.

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees
  9. 魔鬼是我的背部

Originally Posted by channel5
    I'd disagree with this statement, I've bought many expired domains, and I know of others who have done the same, and they have not had all their indicators reset.

Now since u have disagreed, u must have a logical reason behind this. I would love to hear it. My logic says ones a domain expires, it is dead and so is everything associated with it. May be i am wrong and u r ready to throw some light on this issue.
  11. from the horses mouth

Now since u have disagreed, u must have a logical reason behind this. I would love to hear it. My logic says ones a domain expires, it is dead and so is everything associated with it. May be i am wrong and u r ready to throw some light on this issue.
    The logic is I have tested it by buying domains that have expired.. and the following has occured:

1): They keep their page rank
    2): Their backlinks are reported in webmaster tools.
    3): They rank well in the SERPS

Have you ever bought an expired domain and tested this?

Comments on this post

• saigon2010 agrees : I think maybe pagerank is reset, but not lost altogether
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Well, as I said, I have domains and the links are counted in google webmaster tools.

My suggestion would be that trustrank is reset, however if links still point to the domain, google will eventually spider those links again and apply it to the new domain. They will be seen as new links to the new domain.

Some of the sites I have which have old expired domains pointed at them rank for keywords that have nothing directly to do with the current site, but for the old site, if google had wiped that site from it's memory completely, this would not happen.

The site in question also had a pagerank increase from 3 to 4 despite no other link building activity than pointing the expired domains at it
  15. 魔鬼是我的背部

Originally Posted by channel5
    The logic is I have tested it by buying domains that have expired.. and the following has occured:

1): They keep their page rank
    2): Their backlinks are reported in webmaster tools.
    3): They rank well in the SERPS

Have you ever bought an expired domain and tested this?

Acutally i didn't think deeply. My mistake. How backlinks can get lost even if they point to a website which doesn't exist any more (unless they get devalued or manually removed by webmasters). And if backlinks r going to remain intact so will be the PR.
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I can understand the trust and serps will be wiped, but I don't see how the backlinks can disappear since they are still on the websites.

How would google know if the links are for the new site or the old site?

I don't plan on redirecting the expired domains, but I was thinking about putting new content on there, let google reindex it, then link out from those sites. This beats building brand new sites without backlinks.
  19. from the horses mouth

don't plan on redirecting the expired domains, but I was thinking about putting new content on there, let google reindex it, then link out from those sites. This beats building brand new sites without backlinks.
    It works best if the content topic of the new site is as similar as possible to that of the old site. It makes it less likely that other sites will drop their links for one.
  21. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Now since u have disagreed, u must have a logical reason behind this. I would love to hear it.
    You're GUESSING that you thoroughly understand the statements Google and/or Matt Cutts are making... e.g. when they say "expired"... what do they mean?

When a domain name isn't renewed by the owner is it "deleted from their account" but technically it isn't "expired" the registrar can hold it for 60 days before it must renew it from ICANN... this means the original owner can still renew (and it would be dumb for Google to "reset" during this period)...

If the registrar believes they can resell the domain after the 60 days via an auction and make extra profit they can renew it themselves... thus "did it actually expire"?

At 60 days the registrar MUST send it back to ICANN if they don't renew themselves... and these are then are factually "EXPIRED"... so Google can be ABSOLUTELY correct... they "RESET" expired domains but really... this isn't what you thought it was.

The difference... NEVER EVER assume you know what Google meant... you'll be wrong.

I'll note a recent Matt Cutts quote [and what he said and what he didn't say]

By the way, I’d argue that some expired domains are closer to a bank at one location that goes out of business and becomes a coffee shop. That coffee shop can build up its reputation on its own, but shouldn’t automatically get the customers that were showing up hoping to do their banking.
    OK that's a valid point... don't think that you can buy an expired bank domain and expect Google to value the bank links to a new coffee shop.

What he didn't say was if Dunkin Donuts let their domain expired and Starbucks picked it up... it would be treated as if it was the bank in his example?

Ask that specific question you'll get an very different answer.

Comments on this post

• himanshu160 agrees : where were u man? all ur posts are worth bookmarking. I am ur fan now.
  23. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I don't plan on redirecting the expired domains, but I was thinking about putting new content on there, let google reindex it, then link out from those sites. This beats building brand new sites without backlinks.
    You cn redirect or not... generally a re-direct makes little differencxe to Google... it may, can. will make a difference to the domains doing the linking...

In my experience... most domain owner will eventually review their links and find the original site no longewr available... and remove their link... that isn't a Google thing.

Because I have been doing this for years... "usually" most domains remove their links within a year. [on re-directed domains]