1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Do outbound links hurt SEO Performance

Of course inbound links are the goal, and reciprical links are o.k., but I've heard that having too many outbound links will hurt SEO performance.

Is this true?

MTH
  3. Raghvendra Tripathi
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Symbolic668
    Of course inbound links are the goal, and reciprical links are o.k., but I've heard that having too many outbound links will hurt SEO performance.

Is this true?

MTH

Chew on this:

The SEO Chat Forum has, what, a zillion outbound links?
    All on a zillion different subjects, niches, etc.?
    And Seo Chat Forum is hurt because.......?
    Competing on Internet require something more than a website and that is Search Engine Optimization :

Raghvendra Tripathi ( Not About SEO)
  5. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Is this true?

MTH
    Links to web spammers or bad neighborhoods on the web... can negatively impact your site's ranking in search results
    source

Comments on this post

• rohit_tripath60 agrees
    • joshz agrees
  7. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Of course inbound links are the goal
    Sorry, I don't agree, conversions are the goal, inbound links that are or appear naturally gained are a means to an end.
    and reciprical links are o.k.
    Not trying to be negative but reciprocal links when it benefits the visitors of both sites, in moderation are ok.

I understand you are learning so don't think I am picking on you, I just want to avoid sending someone off in the wrong direction
  9. No Profile Picture

Outbound links

Outbound links are links pointing out away from your site. In your first thought, it has no benefit at all but if that site has a high ranking and your site is also linked to that other website, it would be a good backlink.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I always thought it was common courtesy to link back to sources etc when referring to other web sites ? Should you really have to worry about SEO etc for this ?

Does it matter if you use "nofollow" or not to the external links, or does Google ignore this ?

And is it important how many external vs internal links there are ? Is it bad if there are more external links than internal ?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

To the OP - I guess it depends on how many outgoing links are "too many". Five years ago it was not uncommon for sites to have dozens of outgoing links on their "Links" page. Exchanging links (for the sake of links) and "Links Pages" are passe.

I would not worry about outgoing links as long as they are spread around and in context of the subject matter of the page. I would avoid long lists of links and especially off-topic links or links to bad neighborhoods.

Your site needs to be inter-connected within a cluster of (hopefully authority) sites related to your theme. By having no outgoing links you will appear as a black hole - sucking in links but not connecting outward. This is not a natural "web" structure.

So, join the community and link out, but again, keep it on-topic, in context, and beneficial for your visitors.

Ed

Comments on this post

• Lb1878 agrees : nice reponse and good advice here
  15. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

IMO linking out to other sites will not damage your SEO as long as you only link to good sites that are going to help your site visitors, for example I often link back to sites such as wikipedia as these hold good information.

So in short make sure you do the same kind of linking out as you would like linking in (not to direct competitors though as this would be bad for your business) and just stay clear of bad neighborhoods and spammy site as said above.

Just like to add I also agree KernelPanic, link building is not the point to SEO but a means to gaining every SEO's goal and thats conversion
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  17. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

On one hand the only way you can hurt your web site through linking is to link to a bad neighbor.

On the other hand the website without any links whatsoever has no trust. Thus to increase trust you need to have outgoing links to some reputable places. This is only natural.

So only link out to great places, and don't be afraid to link.

Don't just link out if you're going to get one in a return, google sees right thru that.
    Distinct SEO | Calgary SEO & Web Marketing Consultants ~~ Our Blog ~~ Follow @distinctseo
  19. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

+1 for linking out responsibly. Linking out certainly adds dimension to your site and gives it more authenticity I feel. Citing a source is a must, especially if it's the work of someone else. This will keep you out of any legal trouble too. I can't imagine it being possible to cover every last topic and facet of your industry. Linking to other sites shows that you trust other sources.

I don't think you want to make a habit out of linking out. I do follow the belief that linking out does take a visitor off of your site and you potentially lose a conversion but it's not as bad as it was made to sound in an earlier post.

Brendan, can you further explain the point you were trying to make? You mention linking out to a site and if that site's rankings are high, it will benefit you. I am guessing you are talking about reciprocal linking but I wanted to make sure your point was more clear so people don't misunderstand.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Chinese Proverb