1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Do internal pages get good SERP from home page?

Is there any evidence to show if internal pages have a good page title, H1 tag and all the other goodies will get good SERP at Google without incoming links? If so, is that related to the popularity of the main url?

I just purchased SEO Elite and agree with Brad that internal pages will obviously get better rankings if the anchor text linking to them has your targeted keyword phrase but building linking campaigns for internal pages seems very laborious.

Any strategies folks recommend for boosting popularity of internal pages?

Europa

(Been to Hawaii and Vegas chasing Black hatters, didn't find any but had fun).
    Last edited by europa; Aug 12th, 2005 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Changed word rank in post to SERP.
  3. Croatia - Hrvatska

Is there any evidence to show if internal pages have a good page title, H1 tag and all the other goodies will it rank well at Google without incoming links? If so, is that related to the popularity of the main url?
    hm but that is normal, i always get BL poiniting to homepage and all internal page's just have link from homepage
  5. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

First let's seperate PR from SERP (I'm a litle confused by your title and description).

PR is page rank based only on inbound links to that page. Yes, the pages in your site that link to that page do grant some PR. Most sites that have a home page PR of 4 will see a PR 2 for sub-pages even without external links.

SERP, or Serch Engine Results Page, placement is determined by over 100 factors. One of the major facters, especially in G is PR. Relevant content would be the next factor. Then it's all the other SEO tricks - title, meta, alt, proper nesting of elements, kw use, etc.

You can place very well in the SERPs, even with a low PR score based on the other factors. You can even beat the competition when they have a higher PR than you based on these other factors because PR is just one of many weights used to determine your placement.

If you want sub-pages to rank well be sure to optimize them for specific kw phrases. But getting direct links to your subpages will absolutely help. There are a few directories that allow linking to sub-pages, but your best bet is to beg for links, buy links or do a link exchange.
  7. Contributing User

Thanks...sorry..I did mean Search Engine Results Page not Google PR. Basically trying understand if there is a strong or weak relationship between the internal pages moving to the top for their search optimized phrases because of the popularity of the home page.
  9. SEO Earthquake!

Yes! Based on the PR of the home page which is passed on to the sub-pages it links to. Also, the on-page factors count. I've had a couple sites where the About and FAQ pages pulled almost as much traffic as the home page even without external links pointing to them. On my current site the Contact page does very well because all 12 of our loactions are listed so if there is a search for "cityKW KW2" our contact page comes up. I have since created individual branch pages so we often get 2 top 10 results in the SERPs - 1 for the contact, one for the branch itself.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Dont think this is off topic, but might be a good discussion point.

I have now started link building for internal pages, with great success, however, I have been generating rich content internal pages relevant to search terms in my industry for these incoming links.

Comments on this post

• rmccarley agrees : That's the trick!
  13. Contributing User

I've had the same kind of success with a number of sites I work with but some others I've had limited success. Since I'm only working with six or seven sites and some have internal pages get good SERP and others not, I thought I get some input from others and I know this is the place. Thanks for you comments. Interested in what some of you heavy weights have to say too!
  15. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How about this example?
    http://www.prsearch.net/index.php?Qu...ble+seo&num=10

PR3 on a subpage with 0 inbound links and still #1 against a bunch of SEO fanatics! Even worse..."affordable seo" only shows up once on the whole page! Luck or multi algorythms mixed up together to confuse everybody? How about both?
  17. SEO Earthquake!

It does have links going to it. And if its an internal page with a PR3 it's got to be a strong domain.
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Do internal pages get good SERP from home page?
    Not necessarily! If your subpages are linked from other external sites, then they will get PR from those ones.

But getting direct links to your subpages will absolutely help. There are a few directories that allow linking to sub-pages, but your best bet is to beg for links, buy links or do a link exchange.
    Yeah! Strong, clever, well-optimized internal linking ensures distribution of PR among the subpages. If you have backlinks for your subpages, it shows natural linking to the search engines.

cheers
  21. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Put a link to every page from every page, in a sidebar. Put links from the home page to every page. Even if you manage to get backlinks for a few pages the benefit willl spread out among all the pages. It's more helpful( in Google ), if you use small gif images with alt tags to link to the pages, instead of text links ( looks better too ).

Disclaimer: Personal experience. I'm not a professional SEO hired gun.
  23. Croatia - Hrvatska

Put a link to every page from every page, in a sidebar. Put links from the home page to every page. Even if you manage to get backlinks for a few pages the benefit willl spread out among all the pages. It's more helpful( in Google ), if you use small gif images with alt tags to link to the pages, instead of text links ( looks better too ).
    don't put link to every page on every page
    don't put links to every page from homepage
    don't link your page's with image links

make your site look naturally and you will have best results, SE don't like to much unnaturall on page factors, stay away from everything that is unnaturall
    Last edited by Bruno; Aug 13th, 2005 at 09:01 AM.
  25. Contributing User

If your search is not competitive, you can definitely achieve top positions without backlinks by good internal structure and optimization. However, nowadays, there are only a tiny fraction of lucrative searches that still don't have any competition.
  27. Contributing User

I had posted a request on this very subject about a week ago and now this post has raised some additional questions for me.
    I have a footer that has links to every page in my site ( my site is fairly small ). Bruno, you mentioned not to do this....why?
    I also have the same footer on the home page, the original reasoning was because I had a flash navigation (cough) this was before I knew what "SEO friendly" web design consisted of, so to combat that prior to a redesign, this was my solution.
    I am currently redesigning the entire site and not making the same mistakes I made originally, however, I was going to keep the footer!

Thanks for the reply's!
  29. Croatia - Hrvatska

Bruno, you mentioned not to do this....why?
    you can have footer navigation with anchor just don't put 50 links, becose its unnatural and it don't look nice, if you have small site ok, PR is not that important to ruin your design