1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Do I suffer from duplicate content?

I have a PR3 blog, most articles of which rank well in Google. I post an article in this blog.

I post the same article in my Facebook note, which has few updates.

I'm not sure whether the article in my blog and the Facebook note will be treated as duplicate content. If search engine finds the two article at the same time, which one will Google index?

Please help me , thanks!
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Why not post a link to the blog in FB rather than re-posting the blog?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Why not post a link to the blog in FB rather than re-posting the blog?
    Tesk-ok, your advice is great.
    I want to know whether the article in blog and the duplicate article in FB hurts my backlinks or index amount. I have done like this, will my site get penalized?
  7. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

It is indeed duplicate content.
    To be on the safeside, post the FB note after google indexes your blog post.
    Or do exactly as Test-Ok says above.
    or include a link to the original article in the FB Note.

So Google gives your blog posts higher importance.
    SEO Professionals in NewDelhi It is different. Don't believe me? Go check yourself.
  9. No Profile Picture

Many Web masters Lost their Ranking on Date before 19th Jan While The Panda Refresh is Announced on Date 21st Jan. Do not use same content for various submissions, even article spinner is also not much of use these days...
  11. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Duplicate content is duplicate content at the end of the day, and if your posting your content a well know, well crawled and authoritative site like FB, google is likely to see FB as the original source and your site as taking the content from FB, thus in risk of not ranking so well for the content and possibly being punished for duplicate content!

You could do a mix of the above like I do with my blog!

For example, with my blog I publish content on a daily basis which is also sent to the FB page for the blog, but I only send a snippet of each blog post with a link to the full post. Also these updates on the FB page can be sent after the original post on my blog, but I don't tend to do that as I am only ever sending a snippet of each post to FB meaning I don't have to worry about any duplicate content problems.
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  13. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by NathanielB
    For example, with my blog I publish content on a daily basis which is also sent to the FB page for the blog, but I only send a snippet of each blog post with a link to the full post. Also these updates on the FB page can be sent after the original post on my blog, but I don't tend to do that as I am only ever sending a snippet of each post to FB meaning I don't have to worry about any duplicate content problems.
    Good call but I take it even a step further than that; I don't allow my staff to post snippets that are copied from the original post. Instead they are required to write an original snippet describing the post that it links to. Paranoid? Yes
  15. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Good call but I take it even a step further than that; I don't allow my staff to post snippets that are copied from the original post. Instead they are required to write an original snippet describing the post that it links to. Paranoid? Yes
    Yes if you have the resources (time and staff) to do that its worth doing, but posting a snippet from your posts will not do any harm, so I don't think you need to write an original snippet each time personally. For example, my blog is a side project I run of my own back which generally gets at least a few posts a day so I have the posting to my social networks automated as I simply wouldn't have the time to do it all by hand during work hours.

You don't write original snippets for that reason alone though do you? I'm guessing your reason for this is more to write something interactive on your FB page rather then because of duplicate content?