Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Do I need to update content for all pages I want to rank well?

I have a blog and forum on my site, and add new content everyday, but my home page and other pages I rarely ever change, update, or add content. In order to help increase rankings for the home page, do I need to add fresh content on a regular basis?
  3. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Short answer is no.

If you can add/modify content that adds value to the user experience, by all means do it. The best combination, usuallly, is to continually enhance/improve content along with adding relevant backlinks pointing to that content.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  5. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by EugeneComputerG
    I have a blog and forum on my site, and add new content everyday, but my home page and other pages I rarely ever change, update, or add content. In order to help increase rankings for the home page, do I need to add fresh content on a regular basis?
    If there's a need to yes...if not no. Meaning it shouldn't be done if your sole purpose is just to increase ranking. However if it's a topic where changes occur by all means change it and or update it.

note: if you just throw up additional content thats useless to the user it's a good chance it useless for ranking too.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    If there's a need to yes...if not no. Meaning it shouldn't be done if your sole purpose is just to increase ranking. However if it's a topic where changes occur by all means change it and or update it.

note: if you just throw up additional content thats useless to the user it's a good chance it useless for ranking too.
    Interesting, thanks. Its for a computer repair businesses and I paid a writer to write the content for the home page. Changing or adding wouldn't benefit the user. The main reason I ask is my home page is PR1 while my blog is PR3. Any idea why that would be? I assumed its because I'm adding content to the blog. The blog has very few backlinks while the home page has way more.
  9. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    The likely difference is because the backlinks are more relevant and/or carry more link juice. It comes down to quality of backlinks not quantity.
  11. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up

Is there a distinction between "good" and "no-so-good" backlinks? In other words, does google like certain backlinks more than others?
    Of course .edu backlinks are preferred, but what about others?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Jay Succeed
    Is there a distinction between "good" and "no-so-good" backlinks? In other words, does google like certain backlinks more than others?
    Of course .edu backlinks are preferred, but what about others?
    Yes there is, and if you are link building it's very important to be able to quickly look at a site and know if its a high quality site that would we worth your time getting a link for. Don't waste your time trying to get links from sites that are low quality as it wont help and could end up hurting you.

When it comes to link building I go as natural as possible. I look for "resource sites" where a link to my website would benefit their user and ask nicely for a link and offer to write an article or two in exchange. If you build really good content and provide a really valuable service that people like, you'll get good rankings and lots of social media activity if applied correctly (which can help dramatically with traffic).

So back to your question, there are many factors I now use to choose if a site would be considered a good candidate for a link. It's also good to use a method like this to check sites you are linking out to on your site.

I use an addon/extension called SEOquake, which tells me everything I need to know about a site when considering if they would be good for an incoming or outgoing link.

There are TONS of different browser addons for firefox and chrome. I recommend you play with them until you find one you like. Some of the best ones are SEOquake, MoZBar, SEO Site Tools, and ISEO. I recommend only using one or two at most as they can conflict with each other.

You then use one of these tools to instantly check Google Page Rank, (Generally its best to go with a site that is higher PR than you, but is just one of the many factors to look at), SEOMoz Domain and Page Authority, amount of outgoing links (check multiple pages, especially the ones you plan or think your link will go), the age of the domain, the amount of webpages indexed on Google(generally the more the better), the amount of incoming links, Social Media Activity (likes, shares, tweets, +1, ect).

One thing I also do is check their title tag and see what obvious keyterms they are trying to rank for and see how well they are ranked. It's also worth your time to look at the links that are incoming to the site as well. Make sure the site isn't overall spammy and doesn't look like they sell links in anyway or violate Google's terms of service.

Also from what I understand (I could be wrong on this), links from .edu sites are not as important as they used to be. I've even heard that its not important at all these days. If you think about it, its actually quite easy to get a link from an .edu. You can contact students or find a student you know. Almost all schools give free hosting accounts. I believe its more important how well the particular page is on the .edu and not the actual domain itsself.

I'm not an expert by any means but I've had tremendous success with content building and providing a free service that people like has been my "secret".
    Last edited by EugeneComputerG; Aug 6th, 2012 at 02:06 AM.
  15. No Profile Picture

If it is necessary to improve your content then do it immediately and it is also fruitful to update your content regularly to get ranked in major search engines. You have to get backlinks also to get good ranking but do remember that use only unique and quality content while going for link building process and don't get bcaklinks in bulk because you may got penalized for backlinks in bulk.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok
  17. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by milina788
    If it is necessary to improve your content then do it immediately and it is also fruitful to update your content regularly to get ranked in major search engines. You have to get backlinks also to get good ranking but do remember that use only unique and quality content while going for link building process and don't get bcaklinks in bulk because you may got penalized for backlinks in bulk.
    updating your content regularly has nothing to do with getting ranked in major search engines.

Comments on this post

• milina788
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    updating your content regularly has nothing to do with getting ranked in major search engines.
    Because, Now is the time of content then why not update content and get quality backlinks for a website. What do you think that only doing On-page and making backlinks in bulk will give you top ranking.
  21. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by milina788
    Because, Now is the time of content then why not update content and get quality backlinks for a website. What do you think that only doing On-page and making backlinks in bulk will give you top ranking.
    Making sure your content is written well and captures it's audience is always good, but once you've got it, why continue updating it regularly? unless you were meaning, add to it, which could also be good, but it's not going to help you rank well (not by it's self), to rank well your almost right, just exclude the bulk back links...yep all you need is on-page, and links. FTR content is part of on-page.
    Back links is bulk isn't a good idea...but thats your line.

On a side note:
    I noticed in about 90 percent of your posts you mention:
    Do not create backlinks in bulk
    You might want to think about making that your signature, then ya won't have to say it so often.

Comments on this post

• dzine agrees : Yup. 'update your content' is not a good advice without loads of context. And 'updating' a well-ranking page will do more harm than good...
  23. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Here is a video about fresh content Matt Cutts did a couple weeks ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4hH4ZQ_19k&feature=plcp
  25. No Profile Picture

search engine optimaization

If you want to better rank of your site you need to update content on regular basis.

Comments on this post

• dzine : No 'you do not'. Please also read what else was posted...
    Last edited by raju47; Nov 10th, 2012 at 07:24 AM.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by raju47
    If you want to better rank of your site you need to update content on regular basis.
    Post Penguin we have a third partner to offline optimization and online optimization and it is Retention Rate. Update content only if it will help you engage you audience more. Don't update for updating sake. Are you adding more value with this update. Once one of my page is between number 1 and 3 in SERPs I don't tinker with it very little. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I will do a lot of changes by end of year as 2013 model vehicles are coming in and my customers will be logging expecting to see this information so I must update it for the sake of my customers even if I lose some ranking in the short run.
  29. No Profile Picture

I am agree with Johnfambrini. Update content in regular interval if your content useful for visitor. Google loves fresh content but if you change your content in quick interval only improve keyword ranking it may hamper your website.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: