1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Do the back-links go wasted when anchor text or context content doesn't match?

Hi Community,

I have seen number of back-links where the content in that link is not matching with page content. Like page A linking to page B, but content is not really relevant beside brand name. Like page with "vertigo tiles" linked to page about "vertigo paints" where "vertigo" is brand name. Will these kind of back-links completely get wasted?

I have also found some broken links which I'm planning to redirect to existing pages just to reclaim the back-links even though the content relevancy is not much beside brand name. Are these back-links are beneficial or not?

Thanks
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Sounds like your reffuring to internal links and your example is fine.
    And if you have broken links just fix them no need to redirect them.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I'm also assuming that you are referring to internal links.

Looking at how you drafted your question, I get the impression that you are so much into the SEO behind links (i.e. link juice, etc). But it shouldn't be hard to assess whether a link would get wasted, whether beneficial or not. Simply think of your users first. How would they react to the link and what follows after clicking the link? Would the link mislead them? Would the link be too out of place on the page because it is so irrelevant? Put yourself in the shoes of your website visitor and if you think the link would appeal and be useful, then it can never get wasted. Heck even nofollow links which do not provide any link juice can be very beneficial for SEO (indirectly that is).

Search engine robots are working to please humans who are searching the web. Whichever website would please those humans, they will rank it. Therefore please those human and not the robots.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

If all the content and anchor text donot match the landing page that not beneficial for website. you have to do change in anchor text and landing pages