Thread: DNS reports

1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

DNS reports

Okay i just went to www.DNSreport.com and ran a DNS report on my site www.GreatCarolinaProperty.com Everthing looked good till I scrolled down. I got a warning on Name severs on separate class C,a warning on SOA refreash value,a warning on Multible MX records, a warning on Mail server host name in greetings, and a warning on Acceptance of postmaster address.
    I got a fail on Reverse DNS entries for MX records, and a fail for acceptance of Null <> sender. This stuff is way over my head Should I worry about any of this ? If so which ones? And how the heck do I fix it. Susan
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

i do not know what they mean.

i tested on a few sites of my clients, no site give "FAIL" but every site give a few "WARN"s.

You will not have any problems in terms of SEO (since your site is fully accessible), but I would recommend you check with your hosting company and/or domain registrar.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Re: DNS reports

Originally posted by "sward"

Okay i just went to www.DNSreport.com and ran a DNS report on my site www.GreatCarolinaProperty.com Everthing looked good till I scrolled down. I got a warning on Name severs on separate class C,a warning on SOA refreash value,a warning on Multible MX records, a warning on Mail server host name in greetings, and a warning on Acceptance of postmaster address.
    I got a fail on Reverse DNS entries for MX records, and a fail for acceptance of Null <> sender. This stuff is way over my head Should I worry about any of this ? If so which ones? And how the heck do I fix it. Susan
    Your host should have reverse entries for their DNS, as places like AOL etc use this as a basis for not accepting mail etc. Sounds like some newbie is running his own DNS. I run my own and spent about a week looking into it and then another one making sure it was as good as could be. Thing is, I still get some warnings about unimportant things, but failures!? no. Give this info to your host and tell them to sort it out.
  7. Contributing User

Thanks I'll give them a call however this is no newbie but a huge national hosting company with 1000 if not 100000 clients. with lots of differnt servers on it.
    Thanks for the reply as I realized after posting it that it is really off subject for this board.
    Susan
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Newbies, or too big to care I spose I should have said.

Yes, I would take it up with them if I were you. You don't want to have any reasons for scripted checks to exclude you on any basis.

Good luck with it.
  11. Contributing User

Okay talked to the company just FYI it's Readyhosting.com They say on the Reverse DNS that they have a secure authenticity that replaces that. They did not seem to understand the acceptance of NULL<> as they said I would get bounce back messages and that since i share this server with other sites that most of this won't read as pass for a single site. Because it is all on the serer level. The one that really stumped him though was the SOA refreash value. He basically said they have their refresh value set at a certain level and don't intend to change it. That they never had any problems with it.
    I have noticed on my stats that some people have to refresh my pages quite a bit. is this related? Susan
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Okay talked to the company just FYI it's Readyhosting.com They say on the Reverse DNS that they have a secure authenticity that replaces that.
    Ummm, don't get that. If you simply do a reverse lookup on the ip and there's no entry then they can have all the secure la de dah they like, it won't make any difference. They should have something like virtserv114.readyhosting.com or something like that. At least that way the box will be identifiable.

btw, I just took a look at readyhosting.com. Is it all MS Windows only? Dear god, tell me it isn't lol.

They did not seem to understand the acceptance of NULL<> as they said I would get bounce back messages and that since i share this server with other sites that most of this won't read as pass for a single site.Because it is all on the serer level.
    Sorry could't follow that.

The one that really stumped him though was the SOA refreash value. He basically said they have their refresh value set at a certain level and don't intend to change it. That they never had any problems with it.
    I have noticed on my stats that some people have to refresh my pages quite a bit. is this related? Susan
    Nope, nothing to do with it. That'll be fine (using dnsreport that was prob just a warning anyways wasn't it?)
  15. Contributing User

yes the last was just a warning. The null thing has something to do with email. it says ERROR: One or more of your mailservers does not accept mail from "<>". Mailservers are required by RFC1123 5.2.9 to accept mail from "<>". By refusing this mail, you will never get reject/bounce messages, or return receipts, and you may get other mail server admins upset at you if they have to deal with your bounce messages.
    ERROR: mail.greatcarolinaproperty.com's MAILFROM <> response: 501 bogus mail from
    What ever that means. As for
    Is it all MS Windows only?
    Heck I don't know. I know it is windows 2000 server but they have all the cold fusion, database stuff and so on. I still don't know too much about server side stuff. Heck I didn't even own a computer 5 years ago! ops:
    I feel like such a virgin
    Susan
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

yes the last was just a warning. The null thing has something to do with email. it says ERROR: One or more of your mailservers does not accept mail from "<>". Mailservers are required by RFC1123 5.2.9 to accept mail from "<>". By refusing this mail, you will never get reject/bounce messages, or return receipts, and you may get other mail server admins upset at you if they have to deal with your bounce messages.
    ERROR: mail.greatcarolinaproperty.com's MAILFROM <> response: 501 bogus mail from
    What ever that means.
    Ah, I see. Well, it doesn't look as though it matters that much. As it suggests, if someone wants to bounce an email they can't for your domain.

As for
    Is it all MS Windows only?
    Heck I don't know. I know it is windows 2000 server but they have all the cold fusion, database stuff and so on. I still don't know too much about server side stuff. Heck I didn't even own a computer 5 years ago!
    Fair enough. It doesn't really matter - just the Linux snob in me breaking through, apologies.

ops: I feel like such a virgin
    Ahem, I'll take your word for that. Although I'm always up for giving a second opinion as to whether or not you feel like a virgin.

JOKE!