1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Unhappy Dmoz shutting off - what about benefits received in past ?

Hello,

As Dmoz directory is no longer available from 14th March 2017, I have queries...

1. Is there will be any impact on rankings of my site.
    2. If my site listed in dmoz, I will not get listing benefit (in term of good backlink from Dmoz) after 14th March 2017 ?
    3. No Dmoz, then what next ?
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

1.Wait and see ( I doubt much if anything)
    2. You'll eventually lose a vote.
    3. Wait and see (as far as dmoz goes)
    Last edited by Test-ok; Mar 9th, 2017 at 01:58 PM.
  5. SEO Since 97

others may have something to say.
  7. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Hi Be_frank,

I found out that news in one of Chedders replies yesterday and I was sad to see that the biggest and most know human edited directory was closing on 14th March 2017... RIP DMOZ... And went searching for info on the reason for this closing and what would happen with all this data.

Now to answer your questions.

1 Will there be an impact on your sites rankings?

No, it shouldn't... DMOZ has (had) a lot of authority on its main pages but less on the actual page that links to your site. Consider you'll just loose 1 backlink and that most of your competitor will also lose an equivalent backlink. Lot's of people love DMOZ and I'm part of the SEO that still takes the time to submit website to this directory but a lot of people do not use it anymore and still get a high ranking. Backlinks are still important but ranking has become more and more content and site related vs backlinks only.

2. If my site is listed will I lose the benefit of that backlink counting 14th March 2017

It's up to google, but it would be logical to say YES but if you follow the link on DMOZ homepage to the community forum you will find threads of people trying to recuperate backups and mounting a new project on a new URL. Zedurl is one of them... It is not really clear how they will do thinks and if it is going to be a simple copy of DMOZ but the home page states: Importing Wed, 08 Mar 2017 data from DMOZ...
    Even if they do import all the directory, links coming from this site won't pass as much juice as DMOZ did.

3. No Dmoz, then what next?
    Well regarding the DMOZ community you will find answers to this question on their forum https://www.resource-zone.com/forum/
    Regarding other directories, no one can answer this question. DMOZ is closing because of a company decision (DMOZ was owned by a big group), but a lot of directories had a bad time in the last years, Chedders (once again) could talk in much more details about directories than me, if you take time to search the forum you'll find a couple of good posts on the matter were he explains things.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees : Awesome, thanks!
    • Be_frank agrees
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
  9. SEO Since 97

Dmoz is trying to resurrect it's self here's the link DMOZ - The Directory of the Web
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Dmoz is trying to resurrect it's self here's the link DMOZ - The Directory of the Web
    Technically that's just a temporary mirror; when it comes back it'll probably at Curlie dot org. (Hope it will be back.)