• Jump to page:
  1. Web Designer / Web Monkey
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Is DMOZ Dead?

Has DMOZ had its day?

http://www.dmozisdead.com
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Well ..not yet, ...if you can get listed you get good links as 100s of small directory copy from DMOZ.
  5. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

"Sour grapes" would be my comment here (I think I'm allowed another one-liner by now ;) )
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Of course it isn't....If your site could be accepted into DMOZ tommorow would you put it in there? Of course, DMOZ is still a valuable piece of the puzzle. Do you have to have it to rank? Of course not.

The fact that you are too lazy to put this thread in the right topic tells me a lot about why you might not have been able to get your site "suggestion" listed. :-x
  9. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g

LOL Web_Guy.

It was a fun article to read though, lots of stuff between the lines, right where I like it hehe
  11. ;-)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by robbielockie
    Has DMOZ had its day?

http://www.dmozisdead.com
    that one of your sites....

good luck!
  13. No Profile Picture
    Banned

This is a wrong site > http://www.dmozisdead.com/
    Its a funny.

Dmoz is most important part for ranking. If Your site Listed in dmoz. then after some few days your site ranking possible top tan.
    this is my real experience. If you don't mind this article.
  15. No Profile Picture

I think Dmoz has outgrown tremendously, so may be it is becoming slow in execution, but is sure helps to rank...

kashyap
  17. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Hey kashyap,

dmoze is dead. Is This a True?

I think This is not true. what do u think about ? pls reply me

thanks
  19. Free the SB
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Just spoke with a DMOZ editor. He mentioned he works his topic with integrity. Does eliminate spammy sites and misdirected sites. Has significant levels of communication with other editors when working to move sites to other appropriate topics.

In his view sites that he has recently added to his category seem to get google visability in 4-6 months.

DMOZ definately assists with ranking. Its nice to have an authority process even if its not perfect. It would also be terrific if something like DMOZ was established to clear out spammy practices and sites.

Dave
  21. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g

Sooo true.

Since a bot cannot spot a spammy site when it bites it in the a55, it's still up to humans to take out the rotten apples. But there only so many humans around, and they tend to be slower than bots on certain tasks...

Until bots get really clever (I mean bot IQ>140) it's up to humans to judge which sites are bad and which are fine. That's one of the reasons why I can't help but like human edited directories like DMOZ and ZEAL (...the other reason being that I'm listed hehe).

Hope G employs more humans to weed through the crappy stuff... Bots will always lag behind.
  23. No Profile Picture

Since it has been over EIGHT MONTHS now, and I still have not been entered (even though my site is easily fits into the Arts->Literature top level category, and is larger than all but maybe 5-10 of the 30,000 sites below it), I have given up on them. I have also attempted to contact them about a licensing question, and they have never responded. Oh, and many of their help pages returned 403 errors for 3+ weeks.
  25. No Profile Picture
    User Contributor
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Well, since I have no editor in my category, and no editor in the category above mine...I HATE DMOZ!!! I tried signing up for an editor and they denied me
  27. Savior of the Whales
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

most of the kids posting here were still in diapers at the time .... but in the OLD DAYS when YAHOO was the NEW kid on the block ..... they had PAID PROFESSIONAL REVIEWERS to make a human build directory ..... and you could be PROUD to be in the YAHOO directory because no body could buy their way in AND no nobody got in cause their cousin was an editor ...... it was STRICTLY profesional and OBJECTIVE.

Those days are all gone ...... now nothing but greed and subjectivity rule ......

Yahoo is for sale .... the FORBS list is for sale .... EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE .... nothing but *hores everywhere you look ....

there is no longer a true Authority standard to say a site is good or not ..... everything is for sale .... no wonder viruses are everwhere it is nothing but a whor** den .....

in a perfect world ...... some site like dmoz could provide the missing ingredient of a human evaluated standard of quality .... unfortuniately it is not a perfect world ...

there are a PRECIOUS few conscientious and competitent and OBJECTIVE editors at DMOZ ..... i personally know of at least ONE ...... unfortuniately there are MORE there for purely self interest and GREED of course ...... selling favors to the highest bidders .... others are to ignorant to spot the spammers who must plague them like fleas on our boys in the desert ......

honest webmasters should report any signs of misdeeds to the dmoz community so they can try and police themselves ..... i think they do try to ferret out abusive editors ..... they just have their hands full it seems .... one hand full of abusive editors the other hand full of spammers wasting their time .....
    *** Search Engine News, Jesus helps JOE BOB SEO save the whales. ***
  29. No Profile Picture

I dont think dmoz is dead bhavin!, It certainly help to boost rankings...

kashyap
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo