1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Disavow tool - Should I or shouldn't I use it?

OK, so I had a domain that I abused and eventually got penalised. In fact it was about 14 months ago that it got its penalty. The methods I used were far from great but I managed to remove a lot of the biggest offenders directly.

In the last two months the site has shown considerable signs of recovery. Previously it was not ranking for sitename or site name - which it now does. It's even getting to around pages 2-10 for some of its old keywords.

The question is, I have been analysed the links that remain and whilst some of them are fine, there are many coming from sites that have been deindexed.

So, the question is, do you think that I should use the disavow tool on these poor backlinks that I know that I am receiving no benefit for? The site is currently NOT penalised which is why I am hesitant on doing so.

The truth is, I like the name of the domain and don't want any of the reckless moves I made in the past to come back and haunt me.

I guess I would also like to know from people who have had some success with the disavow tool too.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Giggity -

Here is a Disavow case study you'll want to read:
    Penalty Lifted: How To Use Google’s Disavow Tool Case Study

Glad to say I've never been penalized. Just passing the info.

Ed
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by giggity
    OK, so I had a domain that I abused and eventually got penalised. In fact it was about 14 months ago that it got its penalty. The methods I used were far from great but I managed to remove a lot of the biggest offenders directly.

In the last two months the site has shown considerable signs of recovery. Previously it was not ranking for sitename or site name - which it now does. It's even getting to around pages 2-10 for some of its old keywords.

The question is, I have been analysed the links that remain and whilst some of them are fine, there are many coming from sites that have been deindexed.

So, the question is, do you think that I should use the disavow tool on these poor backlinks that I know that I am receiving no benefit for? The site is currently NOT penalised which is why I am hesitant on doing so.

The truth is, I like the name of the domain and don't want any of the reckless moves I made in the past to come back and haunt me.

I guess I would also like to know from people who have had some success with the disavow tool too.
    Did you received any mail notification by google in your webmaster tool for unnatural links?
  7. No Profile Picture

Yes, you have to use Google’s Disavow Tool.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

You have to use it for removing unrelated links.