Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Are Directory Links Worth Anything?

I've just stumbled upon a directory that I知 thinking to add my site to.

Here is the category I want to submit to: http://directory.askbee.net/business...ices/building/

The page is related to my site and only costs $1 for a link, or $5 for a featured link.

If I purchase a featured link, I will also have my link on the homepage with my chosen keyword anchor text link. According to seomoz the homepage has extremely high page authority.

For $5 I知 more than happy to purchase this link. If and when the link gets devalued I have only lost $5.

I would like to hear opinions about this as after constantly observing my competitors links it seems that these kinds of links are running Goggles organic search.

Maybe I知 in the wrong state of mind, but when I see my competition all ranking from either directory links or paid blog posts, then I just feel like saying Fxxx you Google if this is what works then I知 going to do it as well.
    Last edited by WizBit; Mar 15th, 2011 at 03:27 PM.
  3. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by WizBit
    I've just stumbled upon a directory that I知 thinking to add my site to.

Here is the category I want to submit to: http://directory.askbee.net/business...ices/building/

The page is related to my site and only costs $1 for a link, or $5 for a featured link.

If I purchase a featured link, I will also have my link on the homepage with my chosen keyword anchor text link. According to seomoz the homepage has extremely high page authority.

For $5 I知 more than happy to purchase this link. If and when the link gets devalued I have only lost $5.

I would like to hear opinions about this as after constantly observing my competitors links it seems that these kinds of links are running Goggles organic search.

Maybe I知 in the wrong state of mind, but when I see my competition all ranking from either directory links or paid blog posts, then I just feel like saying Fxxx you Google if this is what works then I知 going to do it as well.
    save your money. spend more time here on the stickies and learn what makes a valuable link

Comments on this post

• WizBit : does that make you feel better? I am a better seo than you so you read the stickies.
  5. Permanently Banned

My question was more that these kind of links are running google.

Here is an example: http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=builders+london

These guys are all ranking from worse links than my example.
    Last edited by WizBit; Mar 14th, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

That said KP, much to many people's chagrin, directory links do work. They're not going to build up your domain authority or improve your PR, but from an anchor text standpoint I've seen time and time again that they do contribute (in much the same way you observed with your competitor's back links).

Will they work for long? Probably (almost assuredly) not.. if Google just hit content farms, link farms are bound to be next. But there's a reason you see them in the back link profiles of so many competitors.

That's not an endorsement of directory submissions as a viable long-term link building strategy. But it is the truth, even if it's an ugly one.
    Interested in SEO? Follow me: @cstechjoel or visit I'm The Best Looking Man In The World (According To Google!).
  9. Agency SEO

If you add home or engine or career or myriad other words to Builders you'll see a different story.
  11. Agency SEO

Originally Posted by ElectricPrez
    That said KP, much to many people's chagrin, directory links do work. They're not going to build up your domain authority or improve your PR, but from an anchor text standpoint I've seen time and time again that they do contribute (in much the same way you observed with your competitor's back links).

Will they work for long? Probably (almost assuredly) not.. if Google just hit content farms, link farms are bound to be next. But there's a reason you see them in the back link profiles of so many competitors.

That's not an endorsement of directory submissions as a viable long-term link building strategy. But it is the truth, even if it's an ugly one.
    Please be so kind as to give me a web site that ranks in a competitive industry on the power of directory links and I will take it all back.

Guessing you can't, but lord knows I have been wrong before!
  13. Permanently Banned

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Please be so kind as to give me a web site that ranks in a competitive industry on the power of directory links and I will take it all back.

Kernal Panic,

http://www.builderstown.co.uk/

Ranking Number 1 in google UK for "Builders London"

Please show me 1 half decent link pointing to this site.

It is either directory links or blog comments that is ranking this site.
  15. nobody

nope not for SEO...directory links are only good to get your site indexed and also create traffic ...

you want to have editorial links..l recommend you do some guest blog posting

there are a couple of resources for guest blogging

http://wwwguestblogcommunity.com
    http://myguestblog.com
    Data Oriented SEO is a way to go in modern SEO days.
    Sefati Consulting | Analytics Clarity
  17. Agency SEO

Kernal Panic,

http://www.builderstown.co.uk/

Ranking Number 1 in google UK for "Builders London"

Please show me 1 half decent link pointing to this site.

It is either directory links or blog comments that is ranking this site.
    Site has 2k IBLs. Did you look at all of them? Builders London is not competitive. You can rank for that with little work.

Comments on this post

• WizBit : Your 4 replies are complete worthless and unappreciated. Now I remember why I stopped posting here.
  19. Contributing User

Originally Posted by KernelPanic

Directory links in isolation? I can't. That's not what I was trying to say at all.

But I can show you http://www.aot.edu.au who ranks for multiple competitive keyword phrases using low-quality links for (check their internal pages...) with exactly the anchor text they want to rank for.

That's all I was trying to assert - that these types of links do serve a function and that these types of links do contribute to rankings insofar as anchor text goes. Again, that's not me advocating directory submissions as a viable long-term strategy.
    Last edited by ElectricPrez; Mar 14th, 2011 at 01:00 PM.
  21. Agency SEO

Originally Posted by ElectricPrez
    Directory links in isolation? I can't. That's not what I was trying to say at all.

But I can show you http://www.aot.edu.au who ranks for multiple competitive keyword phrases using low-quality links for (check their internal pages...) with exactly the anchor text they want to rank for.

That's all I was trying to assert - that these types of links do serve a function and that these types of links do contribute to rankings insofar as anchor text goes. Again, that's not me advocating directory submissions as a viable long-term strategy.
    Sorry guys. If you want to make claims about CRAPPY SPAMMY POS DIRECTORIES DRIVING RANKS YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO SHOW SOME PROOF.

Otherwise, please don't lead people down the road of wasting time.

Comments on this post

• gazzahk agrees : Yep.. I agree... Most directory links like the one quoted by OP are so close to worthless that they are a waste of time..
    • sprintdriver agrees : Although Directory Links may help in small un-competitive queries, no one entity will have any link at all, therefore you have a couple "directory links", and you are #1
  23. SEO is WAR

Thumbs up White Hat Link Building - Out Linking Your Competitors

The Directory links are good for Anchor text, but the reason your competitors are ranking well by using such links, is because of the competitiveness of the Query! Use the information you have, and should obtain, and build a link that is more valuable than the competitors directory links, which is easy to do, then use the directory links for variance of anchor text, and use less competitive queries, as they will then be more valuable links.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
    Last edited by sprintdriver; Mar 14th, 2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: No title
  25. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Wow, what is with everybody jumping on KP?

The man is just telling the truth and how it is. The mentioned domain has 2k IBL, which means ONE quality link can outweigh 1,999 crappy directory links.

I agree with above. If you have a couple bucks you want to toss and get a link, go for it. But me, personally? I would get a natural, free link faster than your card will be charged the $1 or $5.

Comments on this post

• sprintdriver agrees : Dude i'm late, but still have to commend your comment, 1 good authority link will smoke k'sands of dinky links...
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  27. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I wont even pay for business.com or yahoo for a new site anymore.

Now, I AM reluctant to drop them from existing sites.
  29. SEO is WAR

More than 555 shoot more than 1,999 and then some

1,999 crappy links annihilated by one of high authority, I have heard such a number in comparison, another being 555, but personally I have nuked over 3 Million Crappy Links or what I call "Dinky Links", with one link of enormous authority in content, follow, and yet vary natural indeed. Its like a Rose garden full of blossoming serp flowers.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page: