Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I still think that getting Yahoo and some other paid directories for a new website is essential. It gives you Authority links from a High PR websites.

Comments on this post

• distinctseo : you are wrong
  3. nut case
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Webwisemedia
    I still think that getting Yahoo and some other paid directories for a new website is essential. It gives you Authority links from a High PR websites.
    I'd have to disagree. PR is not the be all and end all of SEO and link building; anchor text and relevance to your site is. Are directories relevant to any site? And a category page does not make it relevant. How is a directory, which is just a collection of links with a bit of a description, authoritative? What is it an authority on? Surely it can't be an authority in your niche.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
    oops! I think I got that wrong! Sorry
  5. No Profile Picture

I actually was talking about several big directories that count. Big directories do have relevant categories where you can submit and that link does have a juice coming it from Yahoo or Business.com directories. Definitely Dmoz would be perfect but to get in their takes a lot of time and correct/honest submission and still you don't get in if your category is popular. I also agree and never argued that anchor text and relevancy of the websites the links are coming from A Must for the link to be worthwhile.

Comments on this post

• distinctseo : no!
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Webwisemedia
    I actually was talking about several big directories that count. Big directories do have relevant categories where you can submit and that link does have a juice coming it from Yahoo or Business.com directories. Definitely Dmoz would be perfect but to get in their takes a lot of time and correct/honest submission and still you don't get in if your category is popular. I also agree and never argued that anchor text and relevancy of the websites the links are coming from A Must for the link to be worthwhile.
    In many cases Webwise, yahoo directory pages aren't even indexed, never mind passing any value.

DMOZ also isn't what it used to be, nor is business.com. As I shared in another thread, here is why:

www.seomoz.org/blog/wheres-the-love-dmoz
    Interested in SEO? Follow me: @cstechjoel or visit I'm The Best Looking Man In The World (According To Google!).
  9. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by WizBit
    http://www.britannica.com/blogs/2008/07/this-is-your-brain-this-is-your-brain-on-the-internetthe-nick-carr-thesis/
    This link is a followed link from a page rank 6 page on an authority site with targeted anchor text that has been there since 2009. This site is also a UK site so probably brining Geo help as well.

This link alone could be responsible for the rankings. How is it possible to attribute these rankings to the directory links?
    Blog comments which have a followed link from high authority sites do work that is why so many people spam blogs. This thread alone is now likely to see Britannica get a new wave of spam.

I personally would love a link from Britannica with my targeted anchor text on an old PR 6 page.

If you look at the links of the company that comes up behind them www.theextenders.com they only have 390 links which on a casual look appear to be pretty rubbishy. The ones that are listed in yahoo are all on PR0 pages from just a casual look at the first few.

The site after that www.simon-daniels.co.uk has from a casual look only directory links.

All a website needs is better links then its competitors. This would be what appears a pretty easy search term to capture. All this example shows is your competitors do next to nothing of value you can beat them with similar tatics. The blog comment link seems to be killing the directory links.

A couple of years ago now a friend of mine decided to test directory links and spent $1000 with me helping him choose the paid directories. Also his site was submitted to hundreds of non paid ones. After a few months he did achieve some rankings for long tails and fairly uncompetive searches. But he did not rank for the main terms he was trying to rank for.

It is a ROI and opportunity cost question. With directory links. The time and/or money it takes to get them could be better spent elsewhere. ie finding followed blogs seems to be the answer here. (Not that I am encouraging blog spam).

Comments on this post

• distinctseo agrees
    • KernelPanic agrees
    • WizBit agrees : Thank you.
    • europa agrees : Great sleuthing GARY!
    Live the moment
  11. No Profile Picture

They definitely help in page ranking and also in advertising the site.
  13. No Profile Picture

Directories used to be one of the most effective strategies for link building. Simply by submitting your site to the directory, you could get it listed, gaining both another link as well as exposure to people who visited the directory for information, people who more than likely were looking for something you could offer them.
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
  • Jump to page: