#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    0

    Difference between .uk & .com domains


    For a .com domain we can always set the target country in Google Webmaster. Also every search engine picks up the target country using some hints and intelligence -- for example which sites are linking to it.

    Can somebody make it clear: will country specific domains like .us,.uk will always be preferred over the .com ones by Google and other search engines( given the fact above in para-1)?
  2. #2
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    110
    Rep Power
    28
    Originally Posted by ratan6
    For a .com domain we can always set the target country in Google Webmaster. Also every search engine picks up the target country using some hints and intelligence -- for example which sites are linking to it.

    Can somebody make it clear: will country specific domains like .us,.uk will always be preferred over the .com ones by Google and other search engines( given the fact above in para-1)?
    I don't know if you know it or not, but .us & .com are the same domains. Go ahead and type Google.us, it will redirect you to Google.com

    And it makes no difference because you could always specify for which country you would like to be ranked. Having a .com or .uk domain won't make the difference for your rankings. However having a .uk could help increase you rankings if you are actually located in the UK. But you could still rank high for a domain ending with .com
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    0
    He extension means where or what you are.
    .co.uk means you are in the uk, .org means organisation .com was the first one invented, so that what most have, but it makes no difference as to ranking.
  6. #4
  7. Anand Mistry
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ahmedabad, India
    Posts
    288
    Rep Power
    26
    Originally Posted by ratan6
    For a .com domain we can always set the target country in Google Webmaster. Also every search engine picks up the target country using some hints and intelligence -- for example which sites are linking to it.

    Can somebody make it clear: will country specific domains like .us,.uk will always be preferred over the .com ones by Google and other search engines( given the fact above in para-1)?
    If you want to promote your website outside UK with .uk domain so, you don't need to worry.

    Which kind of search queries are search in Google that's more important.

    If you are selling very unique product on your website & no one is selling it so, if some one will search that product from any country so, Google will rank your website without set any Geographical location over Google webmaster tools. But obvious: You have that unique one & Google have only one result to display during that keyword search.

    Google Search Result

    If you will see above search result so, It indicate USA result & .in domain is getting top 10 ranking with traditional indian wedding sarees keyword.

    If your domain with .uk extension & did not set UK over Google webmaster tools so, Google can get signals & give extra benefits over Google UK. But, similar you have to maintain the value of website. .uk domain is not only key to get higher rank over Google UK.

    Finally, you can get higher rank in any county with your .uk domain but, you have to follow certain rules & regulation of SEO. If you know that, I will promote my website in multiple country so, I recommend to register your domain with .com.
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by elkanz
    I don't know if you know it or not, but .us & .com are the same domains. Go ahead and type Google.us, it will redirect you to Google.com
    Do you mean to say that if xyz.co.uk takes it to xyz.com then .uk and .com are same domains?


    Originally Posted by elkanz
    Having a .com or .uk domain won't make the difference for your rankings. However having a .uk could help increase you rankings if you are actually located in the UK.
    Are you sure? Because I'm using Internet Business Promoter as SEO Tool which clearly says that .uk will be given preference within uk country.
    Originally Posted by elkanz
    However having a .uk could help increase you rankings if you are actually located in the UK.
    As far as I know, if the server is located in a country of target audience, it's always preferred by search engines. But you say that only for .uk or country domain it is preferred?

    Comments on this post

    • elkanz : If using .uk in the UK you will be given preference but if done properly, you could out rank everybody. It isn't the domain that's going to make the difference.
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by elkanz
    I don't know if you know it or not, but .us & .com are the same domains. Go ahead and type Google.us, it will redirect you to Google.com
    lol just because Google.us redirects to Google.com all .us & .com are same!
    I was correcting your over-generalization. Didn't you read you own English?

Similar Threads

  1. Need N/A SE Rank explained
    By Ramses357 in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Jul 12th, 2005, 08:06 PM
  2. What is the difference between .com & .co.uk
    By cityneil in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr 5th, 2005, 07:20 PM
  3. do .net domains rank equally good as .com domains?
    By mrsam in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Dec 26th, 2004, 10:17 PM
  4. difference .com, .de, .fr, .ch ?
    By hymo in forum BING/Yahoo Search Optimization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct 21st, 2004, 09:38 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo