1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Difference Between Sneaky Redirects and Legitimate Redirects?

Question: Is there a difference bewtween what people call a sneaky redirect, and a redirect that is legitimate? In other words, how does G and the other SE's view redirects? Are some okay and some not? Just trying to clarify. Thanks.
  3. Extremely Googled
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I think you're talking about 302 hijacking. It's malicious and unethical but it can pay off heavily for the hijacker because it replaces the original page. Read more

There's nothing else that's wrong with 302. You won't get banned for using them, etc, unless you're actively trying to hijack a page.

Then there's 301. 301 is used to permanently move a page and most of the SEs will recognize a 301 and update their cache accordingly. There's nothing wrong with 301s either.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Highland
    I think you're talking about 302 hijacking. It's malicious and unethical but it can pay off heavily for the hijacker because it replaces the original page. Read more

There's nothing else that's wrong with 302. You won't get banned for using them, etc, unless you're actively trying to hijack a page.

Then there's 301. 301 is used to permanently move a page and most of the SEs will recognize a 301 and update their cache accordingly. There's nothing wrong with 301s either.
    When I say "redirects" I mean using a domain to primarliy link to another.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo