1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Deleting old blog-posts: Will that improve the overall website rankings?

Hi community,

We are planning to remove old blog-posts out of hundreds of blog-posts we have. I have read some related articles where this technique has helped in increase of other blog-post rankings. Have you heard or tried this? Any thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

First, I'd be very happy to read those articles you mentioned. Share us the URLs so we can expand our knowledge.

If you remove a blog post, you will lose any link juice being passed to your site through links to that page (except if you 301). The rankings of your other blog posts are also not likely to improve simply because you remove old blog posts. If anything, it might actually result in a decline because these old blog posts may be passing link juice to your new posts (links to new posts on sidebar, etc) and yet you removed them.

If that is the only reason for wanting to remove the old blog posts, I wouldn't recommend it.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Yes as Sandy says I agree that you shouldn´t remove the post. The only reason I can think of why you want to do that it is that you have been manually penalized. If you remove the post you are going to end up with a lot 404, broken links and so on. You can redirect them with a 301. If you are worried about the links you can make them nofollow
  7. No Profile Picture

Hey Satish,

Before you deleting anything on your site, ask yourself two simple questions
    1. If I delete an old post, why would this improve my traffic?
    2. How can I measure the impact?

9. Contributing User

I also think rather than deleting updating old blog posts with new relevant content can fuel your growth.
  11. No Profile Picture

No.. Do not delete the old blogs from your website.. just try to improve content and give hyperlink for relevant keywords. its will be helpful for website traffic..
  13. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

There has always been a debate about link flow through an internal site. I would look to see which old blog posts are getting traffic and good user behavior - maybe there is a new more appropriate blog post they could be 301 redirected to. Then, other older posts that don't get much traffic I would bin them into keyword or category specific sections and find the most appropriate page or post for them and then 301 redirect them to those pages. I wouldn't just delete them, definitely 301 them and make sure you know what you stand to lose and gain before just deleting them.

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial agrees : Excellent advice
  15. No Profile Picture

I'm sure that this can be useful. Blog articles can lose their relevance and become garbage, which only worsens the ranking. If it's about your articles, delete them.
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Just to give some strength to tstobler's advice...

You don't see SeoChat deleting old threads, they have value for many reasons. We only delete the idiotic spammers and posts of absolutely no value as soon as they get posted.

Follow tstobler's advice and you will do well.
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by smkghosh
    I also think rather than deleting updating old blog posts with new relevant content can fuel your growth.
    This is an interesting suggestion. Can we see better results compared to publishing a new article with similar but updated content? After all, the old article already has an established presence in the search engines.
  21. No Profile Picture

From personal experience on one of my blogs;
    1.Fixed all broken links
    2. Disavowed spam looking links
    3. Deleted old articles that were not receiving traffic
    4. Redirected old articles that were receiving little traffic to similar articles

I did those 4 things and my google traffic jumped 35% in just a few days.
  23. No Profile Picture

If you are planning to remove some of your old content from your blog, do make sure to have a look at its analytics first. See if there is any traffic coming through that particular post, check for any conversion, and see if you are ranking for any keyword. If you don't see any desirable numbers in these metrics, it means your blog post is not doing well. Then you can remove them.

BUT, I would suggest you not to delete blog posts that have backlinks of high domains.

Instead of deleting them, repurpose them and add valuable content to it because there is no good reason to remove old articles or content that were created for the benefit of readers at any point.

Some case studies prove that their site's search rankings were improved after they did this, but that must have happened after conglomeration with other SEO practices and certainly not related to any elimination of content.
  25. No Profile Picture

It's partially true.
    Matt Diggity's recent case study shows that removing old posts that don't have any visitors actually boosts your rankings.

But I would suggest that instead of removing that post you should update so it can bring more traffic and the post is old so it will rank faster than other posts for sure.