Thread: Default Pages

1. Canine
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Default Pages

Are there any reasons not to use a default page in a link?

For example, my home page may be index.htm, and that is the default page. So, is there any benefit to having the link as domain.com/index.htm as opposed to just domain.com?

I have my links set up to reference only the domain name (without the default page in the link), and I think that is pretty common. However, here is the reason I ask:

I recently changed the names of some default pages. I updated the default page name on the webserver, so everything works like it always did. Only the underlying page name has changed. During the deep crawl I just had, I did not see any of the newly renamed default pages being spidered.

Does anyone know if Google actually caches the name of the default page, or if they just use the link only, and take whatever default page the webserver serves up?

I hope this makes sense.
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Hi ya

I understand your queries yes.

I would stick with what ever linking patern you are employing externaly - internaly as well.
    So I would use the root of the domain. The only problem with this is portability - if you changed the domain name the link would need changing. I would say the bennefits out weight the draw backs for this.

With regards to using the full domain name rather than just index.html I am undecided. It shouldn't make any difference but I think that it does slightly. This hints that Google seems to treat it as an external link because of the URL being absolute and not relative.

I am unsure why you would chang ethe default page name - change it back if you can.
    I don't think the new unindexed pages haven't been picked up because of a chaching problem I think that Google is still looking for index.html!
    Check your server logs if you can.
  5. The Master

i think I understand what your saying.

if your link goes to www.yourite.com/
    and you change your default from default.htm to default.php for example google will still only see www.yoursite.com/
    if I got you wrong feel free to correct me.
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

You got it right - I agree.

The only thing I think in this case is that - as the page returned to the SE as the default page from the server was previously index.html and now it is something different - Google will still be looking for index.html.
    This will resolve its self in due course.
  9. Canine

Yes, my question was whether Googlebot ever fetches the actual page name, or does it only fetch the link?

I noticed the MSN search bots immediately picked up the renamed default page. I am hoping the Googlebot will eventually.

I changed the name to make the pages eaiser to manage. I suppose I could change it back if it is important to Google, but I'd rather not. I could also do a 301 redirect on the old page, but I don't think that is necessary since I have not seen any 404s from the old pages show up yet.