Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Dealing with dingbats

We have a content site for a niche market. A lot of the people we exchange links with are smaller sites with relatively little experience with SEO. Some are ranked well some are not. Well the problem is they don't understand the concept of anchor text. I started sending out the html code for the text link instead of the typical title, description, url. The problem is they will change the anchor text to the name of our site instead. It is driving me bananas. About 40% of the sites I exchange links with do this, but these sites may help with actual traffic to the site. So, my question is if people don't link properly even after explanation do I pull the links to sites that don't link with anchor text or are the links still helpful regardless?
  3. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

links are helpful regardless of what they say... sure anchor text is MUCH better than 'http://www.yourwebsite.com' or 'click here' , but still, a link is a link.

i'd say you scrap you're whole approach entirely and stop swapping (but that's just me) i only go for one-ways now.
    It's been fun everyone... Time to leave for good. See this for more details.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by tresmom5
    We have a content site for a niche market. A lot of the people we exchange links with are smaller sites with relatively little experience with SEO. Some are ranked well some are not. Well the problem is they don't understand the concept of anchor text. I started sending out the html code for the text link instead of the typical title, description, url. The problem is they will change the anchor text to the name of our site instead. It is driving me bananas. About 40% of the sites I exchange links with do this, but these sites may help with actual traffic to the site. So, my question is if people don't link properly even after explanation do I pull the links to sites that don't link with anchor text or are the links still helpful regardless?
    I wouldn't worry about it. It's good to change up your anchor text a bit anyway. I do write back to webmasters if their linking page has high PR and few links (i.e., if it is of significant value to me) and ask if they would mid changing the anchor text, explaining why. But for most, I just let it be.

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  7. rubik's cube - 34 secs
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

tresmom5,

You'd be suprissed how many webmasters there are who dont actually know how to add a link correctly.

Add some text on your links page or in the email request being sent to you link partners - stating how they
    add the code. This will save you a lot of time and effort. May be even worth briefly explaining ''why''
    you are asking them to things this way.

good luck and keep it going..
  9. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

or just give them the actual code to cut/paste into their site... they can't really screw that one up... (or can they?)
  11. No Profile Picture

Talking

Originally Posted by toddieg
    or just give them the actual code to cut/paste into their site... they can't really screw that one up... (or can they?)
    That's the thing, I have started giving them the actual code.
    Last edited by tresmom5; May 19th, 2005 at 05:00 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture

i'd say you scrap you're whole approach entirely and stop swapping (but that's just me) i only go for one-ways now.
    We do have a lot of natural links too. Maybe I am hardheaded or stupid, but recips have been working well for us so until they stop working I will still use them.
  15. <-- No I am not Kermit
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Well, it depends on the code, too. If someone give me the code, I will add target="_blank" to the <a> if it's not in there (and it usually isn't) or if they have it typed wrong... I've received code to copy/paste that looks like this:

<a href=url target=new><font size=+1 color=colorname>anchor text</font></a>

That type of code I will change because it's not just done right (to my knowledge).

I will always use the URL, decription (if included), and anchor text of their choice. The only changes I usually make are text color and adding the target="_blank" in the anchor.

I'm not too picky how people link to me... I do provide my preferences, and will alter the link text I want so as not to have repetition.
  17. Supercalifragilistic

Might also be that the site you are soliciting is keeping a uniform look and feel for all outbound links. You can't expect a site to use your keyphrase anchor text if every other link on the page uses the domain name or business name. It's an aesthetic decision.
  19. Son Of Spam

Originally Posted by tresmom5
    Thier not really dingbats, their probably adult webmaster. Very old school. SEO? What's that? Anchor text, oh you want it in caps?! Put it in language they understand! I find that works for me. Some times. It's getting better.
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Bud Wiser
    Thier not really dingbats, their probably adult webmaster. Very old school. SEO? What's that? Anchor text, oh you want it in caps?! Put it in language they understand! I find that works for me. Some times. It's getting better.
    Don't be fooled, adult webmasters know quite a bit more about basic SEO than the average mainstream webmaster. I speak from experience.

Comments on this post

• Bud Wiser agrees : me too
  23. <-- No I am not Kermit

Originally Posted by bulldog
    Don't be fooled, adult webmasters know quite a bit more about basic SEO than the average mainstream webmaster. I speak from experience.
    The young are often suprised of how much the older people really know when the older people take the time to learn. I'm also reminded of the concept that as a child my parents knew everything... as a teenager my parents were dumb as rocks... as an adult and parent myself I know my own parents may not know everything, but know more than I can ever imagine.
  25. No Profile Picture

Talking

^ Haha ^

good one.
    Last edited by bulldog; May 19th, 2005 at 03:57 PM.
  27. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

How about giving link partners a choice. You know, "here's my html code which looks like this" kind of thing. Then do an html choice 2 and choice 3.

I know I wont hack someone's code unless I really don't like the way they used tags. Give me 3 or 4 choices and I'm sure to find one I like.

/*tom*/
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by marcO
    tresmom5,

You'd be suprissed how many webmasters there are who dont actually know how to add a link correctly.
    I wouldn't be. I didn't know until just a few months ago, and I probably represent the top tenth of a percent for the niche I'm in in terms of tech savviness.

Though I was running into a few sites that wanted varied anchor text, but told me to write my own anchor text for the link to them! And to write it based on a sentence that followed. Wha?
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: