1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Is de-optimization really worth it? Other engines DO exist!

The question is, will google be at the top of the game for much longer? Is it truly worth it to "de-optomize" all of our pages to get results in google, only to shoot ourselves in the foot for all of the other search engines. I personally have not touched a thing, and won't do so until I have completed my new google algo research and google's results actually settle down. I am however creating new pages which "test" the new algo.

If my theorys, and most of the corporate news releases are correct, I suspect yahoo will be making significant gains in SEARCH technology during the course of 2004. A google/yahoo relasionship is no longer in the cards, if you've been following the news you understand what I mean.

With Yahoo and MS closing so quickly on google's tail, is it really worth it for me to loose all of these other engines traffic just because the greedy mega-corporation that is now google is filtering commercial results? As of now I have many top 10 results on Yahoo, Altavista, and MS, but have dissapeared from google. I know if I "de-optomize", I will loose all of that extra traffic as well.

In my opinion, it is not worth it to "feed the beast" that has become the new google.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I agree to some of your points, but how many unique visitors does these other "search engines" bring you.

I know for a fact that on my site MSN, AllTheWeb etc bring very little number of unique visitors, 90% of my visitors are from Google, and my site is not just optimised for Google.

I am not changing a thing, as I think Google will not be beaten by the likes of MSN, the only close contender I think will be Yahoo.

I can understand why people are panicking as in alot of cases, this is peoples livelyhood, and salary, but we all have to remember that Google is not here for the webmaster, but for the searcher.

People are probably going to shoot me down for this comment, and it applys to the vacation / holiday end of SEO, but the amount of SPAM riddled sites has reduced (the only pain in the arse I can see is the number of sites increasing with hidden text! - which I thought Google coped with!)

At the moment I am at the top with regard to some very good keywords, and traffic has increased since the "Florida incident" but I am not waiting for Google to kick me in the arse and looking at other ways of marketing my business, both on and offline.

Try and be patient.. which is easier said than done .. I know!:-?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I did a little bit of de-optimization, notably loosening the knob on link power and I shot right up in ALL of the other search engines.

Inktomi pages are ranking exactly the same as Google and on one site the traffic from MSN is way up.

When Yahoo goes Ink shortly and MSN has search built in the operating system, Google's pre-eminence will be severely challenged. Why not prepare for the inevitable now.

You should remenber how much pain occured because of a Google only plan during the "Florida Update".
    Last edited by LilOptimizer; Dec 10th, 2003 at 04:23 PM.
    SootleDir - When only the finest link will do | Webmaster Forum |
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

"Is it truly worth it to "de-optomize" all of our pages to get results in google, only to shoot ourselves in the foot for all of the other search engines. "

I'm sure Google did this with that in mind. Nothing like discouraging SEO when you have more to loose than just Google SERPs.

-PK
  9. Contributing User

Personally I have done the opposite and re-optimized my sites, allthough 90% of my traffic comes from other search engines (Mainly: MSN, Teoma) and I made a big mistake in de-optimizing my site after the florida fisasco, I lost my #1 position on msn for the search "delta goodrem".

My suggestion to other webmasters is to bare with it, theres no doubt that google's monopoly will be hindered in the near future, and it will become more and more important to optimize for several search engines.

Keep things the way they are at the moment, or only change a little as you do not want to ruin not only your serps in google but also your backup (or primary in some peoples cases) source of traffic.