1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

dash wins dash no dash domain test

in my dash or no dash test the dash site is the first to get listed looks like google prefers a dash between keywords in the domain test was for echolist directory contest
    I created 2 domains echolistdirectory.com and echolist-directory.com made sites similar used same back links so far only dash domain listed. list at around 145 I lost count only started on monday not very many links added yet.

We still have to wait a few more days to see the real results and about a week to see what yahoo likes.
    Last edited by NSRS; Jul 29th, 2005 at 05:04 PM.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Interesting experiment. Please keep us updated on your progress.
    Last edited by HostingForSEO; Jul 30th, 2005 at 05:20 AM.
  5. Self-managed!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Interesting ... though this post is only to keep me subscribed.
  7. hctibselgoogtonmai
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

The dash, no dash topic relates to how keywords are interpreted in your url or if they count at all. If your suggesting that having a dash in your domain gets you indexed sooner, that might be a stretch and 100% of the links would have to be identical for it to have any merit (same sites, same pages, same locations). It would be more reliable if you didn't publish the domains so as to ensure others aren't linking to one or the other.

Comments on this post

• incdeveloper agrees : yea the dash one will get first
    My Favorite Tools: Web CEO - Ranking Reports, Keyword Research, Link Analysis | Hosting.com - U.S. Windows Hosting | ISAPI Rewrite - Rewrite & Redirect for Windows
  9. Son Of Spam
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by NSRS
    in my dash or no dash test the dash site is the first to get listed looks like google prefers a dash between keywords in the domain test was for echolist directory contest
    I created 2 domains echolistdirectory.com and echolist-directory.com made sites similar used same back links so far only dash domain listed. list at around 145 I lost count only started on monday not very many links added yet.

We still have to wait a few more days to see the real results and about a week to see what yahoo likes.
    I use dash (hyphens) all the time, for domain names, and file names. I will be the first to support the use for dash, and by now I would also hope that the dash verses underslash debate has been finally put to bed as well.

But simply submitting 2 domains would not prove any thing consclusive. I welcome your post because it at least brings this idea to people. In fact I think it's worthy of testing more.
    But this would be difficult to prove. Even if we could submit 100 identical sites without duplicate penalty at the same time, half with dashes, and the results were the 50 with dashes all got indexed 5 days quicker, this would still not be consclusive

My opinion is I know it doesn't hurt using dashes, and in serps actually helps. That's enough for me

Besides, getting indexed quickly is easy these days, getting better serps is the trick and here it is more obvious dashes help, at least over underslashes.
    Last edited by Bud Wiser; Jul 30th, 2005 at 12:13 PM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Something

Something I am wondering...
    Let's say you want to make a website optimized for the keyword " health insurance quotes "
    and you register the domain healthinsurance-quotes.com
    What then?