1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

CTR, Bounce, Rankings and Google's Invisible ReCaptcha

Just thinking. We've often argues here about whether or not user behaviour (CTR, time to bounce, etc.) influences your rankings and had pretty convincing points made for both sides.

But now that Google reckons it can tell bot and human apart (their claim with the roll out of the Invisible ReCaptcha) is this a game changer. If they can now tell a genuine human they can now assess how humans react to a site in a way that bots can't fake regardless of historical arguments is there a good chance user behaviour will become, beyond debate, a ranking factor?

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees : Excellent talking point
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Doodled,
    G only finished beta testing of Invisible ReCaptcha a few weeks ago. Given G's track record, I suggest it is more unlikely than likely to become part of any algorithm and it won't happen for a long time. Eg. Ten years after the Smartphone was introduced and its impact on G's algo is still only minimal.

Let me summarize the recent SEO Chat posts on whether Google uses any "engagement" signals (CTR, time on page, bounce rates, dwell time, pogo sticking, etc.) in its ranking algorithm.

G denied it all here in Mar 2016.

Video: Google Q&A+ #March 2016

From Google you have Andrey Lipattsev Search Quality Senior Strategist at Google (Ireland). Andrey has been with Google since August 2010.

He said Google does NOT use engagement metrics as ranking signals at all. At various times he refers to these different problems with them:

• They are poor ranking signals because they lack consistency of interpretation
    • Google can't measure them across the web
    • They would be too easy to spam

Some one thought "dwell time" may be a signal without telling us which definition of dwell time he believed in. It seems dwell time definitions all fall at one of these hurdles:

• Google can't measure and/or does not report them
    • Only 8% of searchers actually bounce back to the SERPs

Mar 2017: The State of Searcher Behavior Revealed Through 23 Remarkable Statistics
    Author: Rand Fishkin, MOZ.

Quote: "#22: What percent of Google queries result in pogo-sticking (i.e. the searcher clicks a result, then bounces back to the search results page and chooses a different result)?"

"...8% of searches that followed this pattern of search > click > back to search > click a different result."

A SE cannot place any ranking value on a signal that is only used in 8% of searches.

It seems to me that a lot of the "engagement" signal hypotheses are based on false logic.

Eg:
    • More time on a site = good
    • Low bounce rate = good
    • High CTR = good

Why?
    • If I want a phone number and its on the first page I visit, I click it and am gone in less than 10 secs. That's a good result, not a bad one.
    • If I land on a product page that contains all the info I want, why should I visit another page?
    • If I click a link in a newsletter, an email, a forum or social media page to a particular article I want to read, why should I click to another page on the site?

CTR in search is primarily determined by a page's ranking in the SERPs. #1 place receives 10-15 times the CTR of the 10th ranked page. What use is this in a ranking algo?

Site CTR as reported in Analytics is an average of all sources of traffic. Eg:

• online ads
    • social media
    • email campaigns
    • other referrals
    • direct entry
    • entry form other SEs SERPS
    • entry from G SERPS

Every one of these traffic sources except generic SE referrals will result in high bounce rates. What value do any of these traffic sources have to do with any SE algorithm relevance?

What does your definition of a site engagement signal suggest we do to influence a page's ranking in the SERPs?

How can a site CTR metric have any relevance to a search algorithm when there are so many unrelated variables in play?

Sorry troops, but I can't see any logic in any discussions based on engagement statistics of these types.

I'd be delighted and grateful for someone to update me on any info I've missed on this crucial SEO topic.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic : Bing admits it uses CTR, you're wrong
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Jul 21st, 2017 at 05:46 AM.
  5. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    He said Google does NOT use engagement metrics as ranking signals at all. At various times he refers to these different problems with them:

Mar 2017: The State of Searcher Behavior Revealed Through 23 Remarkable Statistics
    Author: Rand Fishkin, MOZ.
    1) Google lies
    2) You can find more places where someone at MOZ says UB metrics are ranking signals than you can find where they say it isn't.

Regardless, what does your own data and your own testing tell you?
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

• If I want a phone number and its on the first page I visit, I click it and am gone in less than 10 secs. That's a good result, not a bad one.
    • If I land on a product page that contains all the info I want, why should I visit another page?
    • If I click a link in a newsletter, an email, a forum or social media page to a particular article I want to read, why should I click to another page on the site?
    Wasn't Google's PageRank algorithm based on the assumption that a web surfer would keep following interesting links till he or she got bored/landed on a useless page?

PageRank can be thought of as a model of user behavior. We assume there is a "random surfer" who is given a web page at random and keeps clicking on links, never hitting "back" but eventually gets bored and starts on another random page. The probability that the random surfer visits a page is its PageRank. And, the d damping factor is the probability at each page the "random surfer" will get bored and request another random page. One important variation is to only add the damping factor d to a single page, or a group of pages. This allows for personalization and can make it nearly impossible to deliberately mislead the system in order to get a higher ranking. We have several other extensions to PageRank, again see [Page 98].
    The Anatomy of a Search Engine

Comments on this post

• Doodled agrees : Yes, this is Google's "Needs Met" approach - i.e. a signal
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi KP,
    Sorry to hear that Google has been lying to you again. Why do you think it keeps picking on you?

Confused about your reference to Bing. This is the Google SEO forum. The post is about G and I made no reference to Bing at all. How can I be wrong about something I never mentioned?

Thanks for the tip about using my many SEO clients' data and testing to discuss the issues. No doubt, I'll get into these shortly...
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Yesterday at 04:27 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Pacman000,
    Sorry, but I don't see the relevance of your reference to G's PageRank patent to this discussion of "engagement" signals.

Would you care to clarify?
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Yesterday at 04:29 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi All,
    To those who believe "engagement" signals like CTR, bounce rate, time on site/page, pogo sticking, dwell time, etc. are important in G's algo...

Can you clarify for us some critical definitions pertinent to this discussion?

Are you referring to these engagement metrics as they apply to:

• Averages for a website?
    • Averages for a specific web page?
    • Metrics for all traffic sources or only those for generic search acquisitions?
    • Metrics for specific search queries?

There are completely different answers that may be relevant to each of the above definitions of engagement metrics.

We've been down these "engagement" discussion pathways so many times without the benefit of clarity of terminology and got nowhere in the resultant confusion.

How about we delve down into the weeds with definition clarity so we can discuss/debate and share experiences from each of many clearly defined positions?
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Yesterday at 04:31 AM.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi John
    Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    Sorry, but I don't see the relevance of your reference to G's PageRank patent to this discussion.
    Doodled started the thread with
    Originally Posted by Doodled
    But now that Google reckons it can tell bot and human apart (their claim with the roll out of the Invisible ReCaptcha) is this a game changer. If they can now tell a genuine human they can now assess how humans react to a site in a way that bots can't fake regardless of historical arguments is there a good chance user behaviour will become, beyond debate, a ranking factor?
    Then
    Originally Posted by pacman000
    Wasn't Google's PageRank algorithm based on the assumption that a web surfer would keep following interesting links till he or she got bored/landed on a useless page?
    It's obvious to me that pacman000 is making a comparison between the fact that PR was maybe an attempt mathematically to emulate somewhat, human behavior in calculating the PR value.

That's my take on it.....
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Knowonespecial.
    I can't interpret Doodled's intention with his post.

It just seems to me that PageRank and engagement signals are completely unrelated discussions.

I'd be happy to discuss PageRank separately but merging that with engagement signals will, I believe get us nowhere.
  19. Contributing User

Right ... yes ... well. I didn't want a rerun of the same old debate. That debate has valid points made by both sides. My experience tells me (as it does KernalPanic) that Google has been using user behaviour signals for years. I too suspect Google lies and throws out false negatives in order to protect its secrets!

But I wanted to try and avoid discussing the past because with Invisible ReCaptcha we're talking about "from this point on" regardless of what you might have believed (rightly or wrongly) before.

This thread was to see if there was a broader agreement now (not then). But perhaps not if many people believe, like JohnAimit, that it will take years for them to incorporate their ReCaptcha technology into their algo in a reliable way.

So probably best to just move on