1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

CSS Menu Vs. Js Menu

Hello all, this is my first post here, and I am looking for some simple tips more or less.

In reviewing some SEO tips on the web ( who knows where ) I have read that JavaSript menus are not search engine friendly and that it will have a negative effect on the site.

I have a site with a JavaScript menu that was created with Fireworks, all the images within the menu have alt text associated with them for bot readability, but is there a benefit to switching over to a CSS menu.

I just want to know if its worth the change?

I have other questions but I'll put them in a separate thread.

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I've had a horizontal, drop-down javascript menu on my ecommerce site for 5 years. It's there for the users. However, robots can't follow it.

For that reason, I have a footer on the bottom of every page with links to my HTML sitemap page, and a few other important pages.

I also have an XML site map which both Google and Yahoo use.

My site is fully indexed and I see no reason to go to a CSS menu. I have played with a few CSS menus and many of them have browser compatibility issues.

Ed

Comments on this post

• atruss agrees : Thanks for the Js Menu Help ~Atruss~
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks Ed !

I asked some SEO service site to review my site, and un-diplomatically he started bashing the site's creator not knowing it was me. (no business for him)

He told me that the JS Menu was "unfortunate, and disappointing"

I do have an HTML sitemap which has an HTML link to it from the index page, and XML site map registered with Google, and am verified.

I'm no expert, but I know a few things; thanks for your input, I'm sure there will be more questions in the future.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to bring this question back up.

Web and robots have advanced alot. I have a CSS menu that im using, but it has some compability issues for older browsers. Its quite alot of lines long and was wondering if downsizing it to a smaller javascript version would be better for SEO
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Depends how the javascript works, there are some pretty good ones out there.

JQuery MegaDrop Down is a version which is lightweight and does the job well.
  11. No Profile Picture

Smile

Originally Posted by atruss
    Hello all, this is my first post here, and I am looking for some simple tips more or less.

In reviewing some SEO tips on the web ( who knows where ) I have read that JavaSript menus are not search engine friendly and that it will have a negative effect on the site.

I have a site with a JavaScript menu that was created with Fireworks, all the images within the menu have alt text associated with them for bot readability, but is there a benefit to switching over to a CSS menu.

I just want to know if its worth the change?

I have other questions but I'll put them in a separate thread.

Thanks

I think the CSS menu is more conducive than the JAVASCRIPT menu. You can use pure CSS to make the menu similar to the effect JAVASCRIPT.
    Last edited by sz20006km; Jun 8th, 2009 at 09:41 PM.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Turn off javascript in your browser and see how the menu appears. If it's readable without javascript, it's fine for a bot.

One thing that people continuously overlook is the fact that they use images in their menus instead of text...
  15. Silent Observer
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

At the recent SMX advanced Matt Cutts revealed that Google can read links in JS.

If I were you I’d go for at least CSS menu.

Alt tag is fine but it still doesn’t give you “internal anchor text” benefit

Plain HTML sitemap would be helpful too.
    "Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with Excellence."

“Underpromise and Overdeliver !”