1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

crawling of search based web pages

I am working on a web site whose home page has a search facility. When the user uses the search facility the site displays the search results with 10 listings on each page. If the user wants to view the next 10 results he has to click on the 'NEXT" link provided at the bottom or the page or he can directly jump to pages by clicking on `PAGE NUMBER' links provided at the bottom of the search result display page.

I want google and other search engines to index my site along with the search facility

For example if you search `free ebooks' on Google then you get the search results with links like
    http://www.mslit.com/default.asp?mjr=FRE
    and
    http://www.searchsite.com/?q=Free%20ebooks

This means that Google is able to also crawl the search pages which are not static but dynamic in nature and are produced by ASP, JSP or PHP.

Can someone guide me how can I have my web site search functionality crawled by Google so that if someone searches for a keyword and if the keyword is available through my search functionality then Google would display that.

Any advice on how to go about this.

Thanking you
    s786787
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Search engine spiders will only traverse links, they won't fill out forms (having eight legs is no substitute for the lack of an opposable thumb, so they find it hard to hold the pen! :smile: )

Where you see dynamic pages in the search results for other sites it means they have (or someone else has) provided a link with that precise url. You could do the same, possibly with something like a sitemap that includes your most popular searches.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Very true with search functions and I often see the same with directories (EG Next-Previous). It's a shame for anyone counting on pulling some PR from the third page as it drops quickly. By using page numbers they all stay on the same level.

786, What do you write in (PHP/ASP/CF) and do you use editing tools or hand code?